New year, new me and already 27 lbs down BUT

Options
Hi,

I've not posted before so here we go. I've always been known as the funny one and people always commented that I had a pretty face (basically your fat but there is some hope for you). We'll I started my diet on new year as many do after being absolutely disgusted by the photos of me out the night before. My mum always hinted I should lose weight and it started bugging me. All my friends are petite girls so the concept of going clubbing with them always made me feel down as I didn't want to be a bore and say I don't want to even though all I wanted to do was stay in so nobody would see me.

Since then, I have lost 27lbs which I am thrilled about but I haven't told any of my family or friends who haven't seen me for over 2 and a half months and hopefully wont see them for another 2 months as I am studying for my finals and am too busy to go home. I'm hoping for that wow factor. New spirit, new body and finally ready to go out in the world. Problem is however, my flat mates that I live with me aren't very supportive, nobody has said anything about my weigh so far plus there always getting me to try and drink booze even though I have given up them all. I have also started training for a half marathon and am running about 8k now, however, the other day I went running and some idiots shouted at the car "keep running you fat b*tch", fortunately it didn't hurt too much as I am losing weight successfully and at the end of the day I have great family, friends and a good education. However, it still gets me down that nobody has noticed my weight loss....I know partly this is due to the fact I live with them but I'm really concerned that when I see my friends in a few months they still won't notice.

Anyway, please tell me what u think

Kaja

Replies

• kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm sure that your friends and family will notice. You are going through a transformation now and I'm sure you are really going to surprise them. Have you bought any new clothes that compliment your new figure?

It takes a lot of will power and determination to get as far as you have. Have you taken any before or after pictures? That might help you see more of the differences. It doesn't matter what others think as long as you are happy with yourself. I'm sorry your flatmates aren't being supportive and the person that yelled at you just plain sucks, but in the end you will be the one to show them.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I know just how you feel, especially with the "you've got a pretty face" thing. Try growing up with a skinny twin sister! :grumble: I heard the line constantly that I had the prettier face. But, to me it was like saying "but you're fat as a hippo!"
    You are losing weight for YOU, and with already having lost 27 pounds, you're doing AWESOME! So DON'T worry that your room mates haven't said anything, or let hurtful comments from strangers get to you. You just keep doing what you're doing, and believe me, when you DO see your family and friends in a few months, THEY will DEFINITELY notice! :wink:
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    You're doing AWESOME! Don't let what other people say or don't say discourage you from reaching your goals. Twenty-seven pounds is amazing and my guess is that people who haven't seen you in awhile will notice your weight loss. But even if hey don't, remind yourself that you are DOING it and you are aren't finished yet. Keep your head up girl!!
  • kateyb
    kateyb Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Not knowing more about your height, build, how much you want to lose overall, where you started and where you are now, it's hard to comment hun. What I would say is that 27lbs is an amazing achievement. That's basically 2 stone!!! I don't see how it could be possible that you're loved ones wouldn't notice and bet you're noticing the difference in your clothes.

I envy your achievements. I wanted to be where you are now and am miles off. Give yourself a pat on the back because you must have worked damn hard to lose that 27lbs and deserve the recognition of your success.

With regards to the flatmates and idiots in your neighbourhood, sod them all. It sucks but there are always going to be people around that unconciously feel threatened by your achievements and so try to sabotage your efforts. Stick to your guns and well done for coming this far.

I would highly encourage becoming more actively involved in this site though - make a few friends on here, become involved in the discussions. The support everyone gives each other keeps me motivated when I'm feeling down, having a bad day or lose focus. If the people around you arn't supportive surround yourself with people that are. It doesn't matter if its online or in person, all that matters is having someone to talk to about your feelings, someone who can pick you up and give you that push when your losing motivation, and share and congratulate you on the successes!

hang in there babe, you're doing fab!!!
  • defcon4
    defcon4 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi kajaknowers, It is true that the people that you live with won't notice your weight lose without someone saying something about it. Are you still wearing the same clothes? Are they baggy? If so you should go buy you some tighter fitting clothes before you go home and I'm sure your friends at home will notice (Plus you will feel good about yourself seeing your paints size has dropped and your shopping LOL!)
    P.S. College is rough, don't sweat it, you have the rest of your life to think about, and I'm sure if you keep up with your weight loss, nutrition, or just call it a healthier why of life. The same guys that talked *kitten* to you while you were running, will be the same guys trying to hook up with you later. Then you'll get you chance. LOL!
    DEFCON4
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    My comment regarding your flatmates is that they are not very good friends. IF they have been informed of your efforts and they are trying to sabotage you, then shame on them. Stay strong, as it sounds like you have, and keep your goals in your sites at all times to maintain your perseverance! I too have lost 27 pounds and have 13 more to go to my goal. Having bought a new outfit truly defined the loss and I believe if you will treat yourself to an outfit that NOW fits you, you will achieve that WOW factor when you see those you celebrated New Years with. Keep training for your marathon and seek support here online as you need it. You sound like a very strong individual with great discipline. Keep it up and don't let the naysayers bring you down.
  • kajaknowers
    kajaknowers Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support guys. In response to another...I'm 5 ft 7 and my start weight was 235 lbs and aim to go to 135 lbs so I have another 73 lbs to go which sounds daunting but every day is going well....I will try and start putting photos us as I have avoided a camera for the last 2 months deliberately. Yeah, my flat mates arent really friends....I live with them for my convenience.

I am definitely starting to enjoy this MFP malarky though with all its members and help
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    Hey there kajaknowers!!! You are doing AWESOME!!! My wife and I also started around New Years. She has lost 16 lbs, so I KNOW that 27 pounds will be noticible. Most people are concerned only with the people most important in their lives. And unfortunately, that usually is just one person; themselves. Don't fret your flatmates not commenting, they see you everyday and may not notice a big drop over time.

Don't fret the jerks in the world. They are only compensating for their shortcomings. You are a beautiful girl who can run farther than most people and since you are in school, you aren't no dolt. In otherwords, you are a hot, smart, jock!!!!

Remember, you are doing this for you, not for anyone else. Keep up the hard work and results will pay off!!!
  • burgessg
    burgessg Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for stopping by and encouraging me in my journal... Congrats on your progress.