Calorie VS Carbs, Protein, Fat

Options
I'm new to MFP. I was on WW and lost 24 lbs. I've decided to switch to MFP because its free. This is my first day, and I was wondering about the calories. Let's say you maxed the limit of carbs, protein, and fat, but still have calories left. I haven't yet, but what do you do? I'm just trying to get the hang of this new method.

Replies

• MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    That really wont happen. Youre calories are made up of either carbs, protein or fat so if you hit your limit on all three of those then you will also be at your limit on calories. The only way you will be under on your calories is to be under on either carbs, fat or protein.
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Don't get caught up in that stuff. This isn't like WW. It's more of a general calorie tracker. The nutrition guide is nice to analyze and use to change to a more balanced diet, but you really don't need to pay too close of attention to those things. If you have a smart phone, I highly recommend the MFP app. You can scan most packages right into your diary.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Don't get caught up in that stuff. This isn't like WW. It's more of a general calorie tracker. The nutrition guide is nice to analyze and use to change to a more balanced diet, but you really don't need to pay too close of attention to those things. If you have a smart phone, I highly recommend the MFP app. You can scan most packages right into your diary.

^This. I would actually shoot for double MFP's protein recommendation
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

All you need is 1g per lb of body weight or lean mass body mass.
  • dustinbattistone
    Options

Telling someone to double their protein intake when you have no information about their workout regimen is bad. And, you can modify your percentages of intake in the 'goals' section depending on your preferences...might want to just move your goals around instead of tweaking the totals for your diary.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

Telling someone to double their protein intake when you have no information about their workout regimen is bad. And, you can modify your percentages of intake in the 'goals' section depending on your preferences...might want to just move your goals around instead of tweaking the totals for your diary.

Assuming her intake is set to the 40-60g that MFP sets for everyone, then the OP would, in fact, benefit from double that, regardless of her workout regimen, or even if she had no workout regimen.
  • GoatBoat66
    Options
    Let's say you maxed the limit of carbs, protein, and fat, but still have calories left. I haven't yet, but what do you do?

That isn't possible... what fourth source are you getting calories from?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Assuming her intake is set to the 40-60g that MFP sets for everyone, then the OP would, in fact, benefit from double that, regardless of her workout regimen, or even if she had no workout regimen.

Correct. Workout or no workout, higher protein is going to aid in retaining lean body mass AND will make you feel much more full on a restricted calorie diet. It's a win/win.
  • AntWrig
    Options

Correct. Workout or no workout, higher protein is going to aid in retaining lean body mass AND will make you feel much more full on a restricted calorie diet. It's a win/win.
    Prove both. I believe the whole "high protein" intake is overstated.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

It has been my own experience over the last year and a half. For proof, you can look at studies. Try googling the results. First three that came up for me:

http://caloriecount.about.com/high-protein-diet-can-cant-do-b549644

http://www.ergo-log.com/muscleproteindiet.html

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/62937.php

I shoot for 35% protein, myself. It will probably be a bit less once I switch to bulking back up (25-30% most likely).
  • lynnypenny1982
    Options
    In the tracker all it has listed is the Calories, Carbs, Protein, and Fat, so I'm not using another source. I've read posts of how some doubled their protein intake. I do a light 45 minute jog in morning and 30 walk in the evening with my lab. I don't do any other exercise. I guess I will just play with this and see how it goes.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Actually, in my research, I found the Journal of American Medicine reported that women should have 72 grams of protein when in a calorie deficit. It was also found that women getting at least 25% of their calories from protein were more successful with weight loss.

ETA: The studies I've read show that 25% is considered "high" protein while 15% is "normal" protein.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    For one thing, don't necessarily think of those as limits, think of them as goals.

For another, you are going to get a ton of different advice here on this matter, there is pretty hefty divides over the macro nutrient debates.

My personal, I am not a physician recommendation-look at the foods that make you feel good and bad, go so far as to diary that and make notes for the hours after meals. Keep track diligently. Then adjust your goals accordingly.

Due to my allergies and food sensitivities as well as other health conditions, I do best with around 50% fat (yes this is radically high for most people, but it is the only diet that has reliably kept my cholesterol down), 30% carbs, 20% protein. But that is me and that is what I have learned about myself over the past 2.5 years of dieting.
  • AntWrig
    Options

Actually, in my research, I found the Journal of American Medicine reported that women should have 72 grams of protein when in a calorie deficit. It was also found that women getting at least 25% of their calories from protein were more successful with weight loss.

ETA: The studies I've read show that 25% is considered "high" protein while 15% is "normal" protein.
    Here is my problem with %'s. 25% of 3000 is a lot more than 25% of 1500 calories.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Here is my problem with %'s. 25% of 3000 is a lot more than 25% of 1500 calories.

Sure, but I don't know any women who are in a calorie deficit at 3000 calories. I think that's also why the it clarified later that the minimum should be 72 grams. This is the amount that the "high protein" group was getting. For me, 25% is actually 97 grams. So I aim for 72 as a bare minimum.