Running and getting winded

Options
Team,
I've been training for an upcoming 10K, still I find that by mile 3 or 4 I am winded/tired but my legs are ok (not sore). No asthma or smoking history. Any thoughts? I run pretty slow, maybe a 13 minute mile.

Replies

• BetterMike
    BetterMike Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Run slower. You just don't have the aerobic endurance yet.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Run slower, take walk breaks. You need to develop your aerobic fitness.
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    It's all about pace! Good luck!
  • LisaR517
    Options
    Slow down even more. You've probably seen it before, but it's said that you should be able to have short bursts of a conversation while running. If you can't do that, you're going at it too hard.
    Best of luck! :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

^^^ this
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me. I started blood pressure medicine with a pregnancy and running became much easier so I feel like I want to take the meds forever....
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Do you make the distance even though you are winded or do you quit. I find about half way through a 10K I get a little winded, so I slow down for a little bit, and then pick it up, and then slow down, and then pick it up, and then I get a second wind to help me finish. I wouldnt have known about this second wind had I just stopped. For me running is about 75% mental. I just tell myself to keep going, I look ahead and pick a landmark, and say just get there.
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

This, maybe try 15 minutes run, 3 minutes walk X 4 sessions and reduce the walk times as you get more fit.
  • CherishQuick
    Options
    Thanks everyone for this valuable info! I will try this week with taking some "slowing down" breaks. Question about do I finish the distance...yes, just fatigued. I will update everyone end of the week. Best wishes for Thanksgiving. :)
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i find interval training is a good way of building aerobic capacity for longer runs.
    For example, 5 min warm up, 4mins of hard running (so you feel your lungs working hard), then 90 seconds of walking to get your heart rate and breathing back down. Repeat for a number of reps (eg, 6). Then a 5 min cool down.
  • CherishQuick
    Options
    i find interval training is a good way of building aerobic capacity for longer runs.
    For example, 5 min warm up, 4mins of hard running (so you feel your lungs working hard), then 90 seconds of walking to get your heart rate and breathing back down. Repeat for a number of reps (eg, 6). Then a 5 min cool down.
    [Thanks so much. I will try it./quote]
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I find I always struggle at particular points in a run. I've assumed this is something to do with lactic acid etc. I struggle towards the end of mile 1, 3, 6 and 10. If I can push through these points, I can generally keep going. But there's *always* a point where I think 'blurgh, I can't do this'.... Does that perhaps resonate with your experience?
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    May be just vanity or my competitive nature, but I can't "run" slower. That's not running to me. Guess I'll try the intervals again (worked in C25K for a bit, but never got to the point that I could run more than a mile without breathing really heavy). I have had exercise-induced asthma in the past, but I'm in pretty good shape and don't get winded during lots of aerobic exercise, just running.
  • tlacox1
    tlacox1 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    How are you breathing? If your breathing fast and hard through your mouth, you'll get winded quicker. Breathe through your nose and back out your mouth. It helps slow your breathing and lets you control it better.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    May be just vanity or my competitive nature, but I can't "run" slower. That's not running to me. Guess I'll try the intervals again (worked in C25K for a bit, but never got to the point that I could run more than a mile without breathing really heavy). I have had exercise-induced asthma in the past, but I'm in pretty good shape and don't get winded during lots of aerobic exercise, just running.

That's a shame that you feel that way, because running slower is how you keep the workout in the aerobic range, which is what you have to develop in order to run longer and faster.
  • cwelch2677
    cwelch2677 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've been running for over three years and have just recently gotten to where I don't sound like a dying buffalo when I run. Hang in there. That should get better with time :)
  • likemeinvisible
    Options

^^^ this

This and also walk faster.
  • drakechic08
    drakechic08 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I listened to an ultrarunner talk about training for a marathon and he said the same thing as everyone above. He said it is more important to do longer times than distance to increase your aerobic fitness level. He suggested the walk run intervals and suggested to continue to increase your time spent doing these. He said slower running for a longer time period is more benefitial than faster running for a shorter time.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I guess it's going to take running slower. The best way to get good at longer distances, is to run even longer distances.
  • rabhair1601
    rabhair1601 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I could have written this post myself, I was like you, running along and feeling like the slowest on the block, then i discovered ' Podrunner Intervals (Google it) The first day to 5 k program, great to get you going, a 10 week program. Music changes rythm to signal change from walk to run and vice versa.Little by littlle you build up to steady running for 30 mins( and able to have a chat with yr buddy as well.)there is also a second and thrd stage; GATEWAY TO 8K and FREEWAY TO 10K. slightly addicted to STAGE ONE program, but whatever works is good for you.