Running Accessories

Options
Can anyone recommend some good running gloves? I have seen some for men, but none for women.

Also, I had seen a post here on MFP about a month or so ago, about a running pouch. It was very simple. I think that it was made of neoprene and had an opening all the way around. You could just stuff whatever into it....no zippers, no compartments. I thought that I had bookmarked the website but now I can't find the website or the post. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

I'm also looking for some running headbands to cover my ears from the cold. Something that is moisture-wicking (or.....won't be soaking wet when I finish my run). I have some ideas on this one but would love to hear what everyone else recommends.

Lastly, what should I look for in a foam roller?

Thanks!

Replies

• reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    I found the gloves and headband at target.
  • dalh
    dalh Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I use some 'touch screen' gloves from a 'pound shop' (cheap shop where everything is £1) - do me fine.
    If it gets really cold, might swap to my cycling gloves, but so far I've been fine with the basic gloves.
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Women's gloves --- have you looked at Under Armour?
  • nomadlady7
    nomadlady7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have two foam rollers. The large standard size and a travel size. I got large one at running store several years ago. Small one I bought online. Hard dense foam, I've seen them in Walmarts even.

Headbands definitely wicking. I've had fleece & neoprene, they work, but get and stay wet. I also wear a beanie hat from Brooks, ugly as sin, but it keeps my head warm. In the real cold I wear an UnderArmor balaclava. (Makes me feel like a ninga.)

Gloves. I have big hands, so I wear a lot of men's gloves. I tend to go with a pair of light wicking gloves and add an over mitt. I believe the pair I have are Saucony. I also have shirts that have built in mitts. :happy:
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thety say if you need gloves, you also need a hat. There are several types of head bands to cover your ears. the best running gloves unless it is really cold are painters gloves. they are good wind breakers. For women you might try to find mittens that will keep out the wind. Mittens are great because your fingers don't get as cold as they do in gloves where they are separated.

Basil
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Cold weather running is more about comfort than fashion!!!!!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I just have a pair of dollar store gloves and headband for really cold. For slightly chilly I wear one of my buffs. I'm quite surprised at how versatile they are.
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    Do you have small hands? I sometimes save some $ by buying Youth-sized gloves/mittens. Just a thought.

My approach to winter is to buy 'cheaper' stuff and have multiples since I tend to like to wash everything all the time or lose stuff.

For Fall/Early Winter, I like Target C9 wicking fingerless gloves w/ the mitten top. Clearly you could get those magic fingertip gloves, but I find these are okay for using my phone touch screen, plus after running for about 20 minutes, my hands are warm and I flip back the mitten tops.

example:
    http://www.target.com/p/c9-by-champion-black-basic-flip-top/-/A-14150735#prodSlot=medium_1_31&term=c9 running mitten

For Winter-Winter (32F and below), I wear wicking breathable glove liners. If it's very very cold I will either wear those with the pair listed above, or with a cold weather mitten shell -or- just make sure I am wearing an outer layer w/ long sleeves. I have super short arms, so I can often just put the gloves on and pull the sleeves to their full length.

I am sure there are better-looking options, but as basiliowe66 wrote, it's more about comfort than fashion for some of us. I hate being uncomfortable - either too warm or too hot. :flowerforyou: Good luck and happy winter running!
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I've worn gloves for a few runs now and I'm finding that I'm taking them off within a mile but then when I walk to cool down, I start getting cold again and they are wet and cold inside! I've also found that some of them are too fuzzy especially when I touch my face and my hands which got sweaty are all fuzzy after taking them off.

I'll have to check out Target and see what I can find! I've tried a few sporting goods store and haven't had good success or the items that I found were over $50!
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Growing up, I always used old school stretchy knit gloves.

A couple years ago I bought a hat and glove set from a Nike factory store in Portland for less than $20.
    My wife's got a pair of under armor ones that were way too expensive, but work good.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I have New Balance running gloves with the special tech finger so I can use my ipod/phone while they are on. I LOVE them. I've tried a few other brands/types but none of them fit or work like these. Also, they are still very thin so my hands don't get too hot. I still end up taking them off on my long runs but if I'm only going 3 or 4 miles I end up keeping them on the whole time.

I got my headband from Athleta. It's nice because it is also not too thick or "fuzzy" so covers my ears enough that they aren't cold but doesn't make me any hotter than I need to be. It has a hole in the back to put my ponytail through, which is a nice feature.

I got my foam roller at Target. I don't think it matters what brand you get - I think they are all pretty much the same. BUT, they are a HUGE help with working out muscle kinks and keeping your legs pain free. If you haven't already gotten one, go out and get one ASAP... you will be SO glad you did!
  • mona_patty
    Options
    i got my running gloves in target. love them
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My flipbelt was just delivered this afternoon, so I haven't had a chance to test it out yet.

It's a polyester & spandex belt with slots to put your phone, money etc. I'm wearing it now with my phone inside it and once you have it on you could easily forget that it's even there.
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    WoW that was informative for me :)

I have a spibelt....has a zippper but I love it... holds my huge phone that doesn't have athletic accessories yet. Its stretchy.. also doesn't move when i'm running..i'd have thrown the thing on the road long ago if it rode up on me
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I use some 'touch screen' gloves from a 'pound shop' (cheap shop where everything is £1) - do me fine.
    If it gets really cold, might swap to my cycling gloves, but so far I've been fine with the basic gloves.
    This.
    I get my running gloves (touch screen) at target. My headband and hat too.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I use cheap gloves from Target because my gloves usually end up being used to wipe my nose! So i need to wash them often and I don't want to spend a fortune on them!!