Attention parents! Mind helping me out??

Options
I'm shopping for a Christmas gift for my sister in law and her husband. They are new parents, their child is 8 months old. Does anyone have any suggestions on gifts that would not only be useful but desired as well? I'm already planning on getting Aesop's Fables for them to read to her when she is older. Any other suggestions? I'm not very close to them, so I have NO idea, but I don't want to just get something for the sake of buying a Christmas gift.

Replies

• dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Ear plugs, We had a colicy first child and could have used these, or a date night coupon.
  • MrMeowGi
    MrMeowGi Posts: 171
    Options
    pop up book. kids furking love pop up books.
  • MrMeowGi
    MrMeowGi Posts: 171
    Options
    Or a kitten, cot dam I wish I had a thousand kittens. Nobody hates kittens. (this is probably not a winner idea though. and may be very bias )
  • susehocking
    susehocking Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Date night coupon! For sure! I would have LOVED one of these when my kids were babies! You offer to babysit for them so they can have a date night. That would have been my dream gift!
  • texasaswang
    texasaswang Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Diapers! :)
  • orrmichelle77
    Options
    Date night coupon! For sure! I would have LOVED one of these when my kids were babies! You offer to babysit for them so they can have a date night. That would have been my dream gift!

This one for sure! It's nice to get out of the house for a little bit and not be parents.
  • samanthawarren
    Options
    A gift certificate for a couples massage might be nice if they like that kind of thing. Also if they use disposable diapers you could attach the gift certificate to a big box of diapers with an offer to babysit if needed.
  • ReNewYou
    Options

^^This my wife and I have been on two dates in 2 years. Our first child is 2 by the way!
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Well, let's think! At 8-9 months old babies are crawling and starting to pull up on things and they are very interested and curious about stuff that they can touch and hold, taste (lol) push and pull etc. They can sit up fairly well and love to shake, etc.

So, while I don't have an exact "toy" in mind, hit the stores and look for things that encourages all that interactive stuff.

AND, I think it is wonderful to buy books! Just the act of reading to a child even at this age encourages language skills and communication. I started reading to my kids at this age, just really short big picture colorful books. The kind with cardboard pages, so they could touch (and not tear) and learn to love books! And, it worked! They had no problems in school learning, reading, etc. They are happy college educated kids no, doing really well in their lives.

So, I vote for the more educational and FUN colorful stuff! In the end, it is all about parent child interaction, so think along those lines for a healthy happy baby gift!

OH _ WAIT A SECOND, YOU SAID FOR THE PARENTS!! :laugh: Sorry I totally mis-read your post! Yeah, a date night coupon for sure! Or maybe a weekend away and a book on Tantra :bigsmile:
  • Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Let's see if I can describe this because I don't know what they are called. They are little car dashboards. They have the steering wheel, a gear shift, lots of buttons to push. Both of my kids would sit on the floor and play with that thing all the time around that age, they loved it.

It also built their hand eye coordination, and stimulated them when the buttons would make lights or sounds.

BTW, not sure if it has a connection or not but both of my kids are very good drivers now. :wink:
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I just saw these today and would love to have this for my kids. At 8 mos old, the baby should be getting the hang of solids. My kids are 2 and almost 4 and they still eat a lot of applesauce, they enjoy smoothies and they enjoy fruit-based puree blends. These are often sold in single use pouches that get expensive and are wasteful. This company makes some that are reusable and I just thought they looked pretty cool! I would be able to fill them up with stuff that I make for my kids for when we're out and about - much cheaper and less wasteful too. I promise I do not work for nor have any affiliation with this company!
    http://www.thesilico.com/
  • KWake1
    KWake1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Well, let's think! At 8-9 months old babies are crawling and starting to pull up on things and they are very interested and curious about stuff that they can touch and hold, taste (lol) push and pull etc. They can sit up fairly well and love to shake, etc.

So, while I don't have an exact "toy" in mind, hit the stores and look for things that encourages all that interactive stuff.

AND, I think it is wonderful to buy books! Just the act of reading to a child even at this age encourages language skills and communication. I started reading to my kids at this age, just really short big picture colorful books. The kind with cardboard pages, so they could touch (and not tear) and learn to love books! And, it worked! They had no problems in school learning, reading, etc. They are happy college educated kids no, doing really well in their lives.

So, I vote for the more educational and FUN colorful stuff! In the end, it is all about parent child interaction, so think along those lines for a healthy happy baby gift!

^ This - My daughter is two now, but her favourite toys were all about bright colours, soft textures, and starting to mimic mommy and daddy (toy phone, etc). I'm a huge fan of buying "up" for kids. Don't get a toy for 6 - 12 months if she's already 9. Get her one for 12+ months she can grow into and have for a long time. Don't get something gigantic unless you're sure they have room for it, (Thanks MIL for that huge toy kitchen in the middle of my living room...) and avoid something too noisy. It's not funny, and karma's a ***** (hear that newly pregnant sister?!).
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Savings bond, stock share(s), or savings account! The baby doesn't care what it gets at this age, and 18 years from now, your gift will have grown substantially and they will REALLY appreciate it then!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Savings bond, stock share(s), or savings account! The baby doesn't care what it gets at this age, and 18 years from now, your gift will have grown substantially and they will REALLY appreciate it then!

lol
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Staying with the book theme, every child needs Make Way for Ducklings and Goodnight Moon.

Also clothes are always a great gift, especially for a few months down the road so the kid has something to wear as he or she grows.
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My kids are all older, but a date is always appreciated. My family usually collaborates and everyone gives us one component of a date, gift card for restaurant, movie tickets, babysitting, etc. Without knowing their particular interests, that's about all I have.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    *snorts*

You're funny.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    You could get them a gift card to a restaurant and tell them that you'll babysit while they go out
  • xnikkixsikkix
    Options
    Oops, nevermind! I agree with the date coupon!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

If you go this route, at least put in in a big cardboard box. The kid will have a lot more fun with the box for the 17+ years it will be before they appreciate the actual gift.