what is worse?

Options
What is worse, that i don’t eat my extra 700 calories that I earned from exercising or eating right before i go to bed to try to make so of them up? What if i eat some baked chips before i go to bed to make some of them up. i would have eaten more today if i would have known that i was going to burn so many calories at the gym. i did not realize that a step class would burn so many calories. When I used to do weight watchers they told us that eating your extra calories you earn from exercising was optional. Is it really bad if I have extra calories?

Replies

• rbc_racing
    rbc_racing Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    IMO unless your hungry I wouldn't eat just to make them up, you should always try to avoid any food with a high Glycemic index just before bed anyway. High GI foods are broken down quickly and converted to fat when your body is in a resting state. Low GI foods are usually more filling and sustain you for longer anyway. Carrots or almonds are always a good choice for a filling snack, carrots are low cal and nuts are generally higher calorie.

Here is a some good info on carbs

http://blog.fastertomorrow.com/blog/sports-nutritionist/0/0/the-10-best-carbohydrates-for-endurance-athletes-
  • defcon4
    defcon4 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Bellybutt, nice name I’m sorry it made me laugh I couldn't believe I was typing that. Anyways, good to see that you’re interesting in finding out more about your nutrition that's 80% of your Diet (lifestyle). I think it's bad both ways. You should eat your last meal 2 to 3 hours before you go to bed. You last meals or snacks should consist mostly of protein especially you very last meal. Example of your last meal should be cottage cheese (ugh) or something that is a slow digesting protein like casein protein (basically a dairy substance like milk: casein is made from milk). Think of it this way, you exercise, you earn 700 calories, you don't eat all of your 700 calories back, but you go to bed earlier cutting out your 6th or 8th meal. Keep in mind what I said earlier, 2 to 3 hours; eat before bed time: slow digesting protein. Best of luck to you, on your new healthier lifestyle.
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    Try some peanut butter. On a piece of toast, or in a sandwich (whole wheat only). The peanut butter will add calories, and your body will spend a lot of time and energy digesting it.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    IMHO it's worse not to eat them.

BUT that being said, if it's a one time thing, then it's not so bad. Nothing we do once is really that bad (with our food that is), it's when we start to repeat bad behaviors that it becomes really, really bad.

what you should be focusing on is creating the good habits you need so this doesn't happen. I.E. planning appropriately so that you have enough food to cover a workout. I.E. if you know you're working out today, then add some extra in throughout the day for calories so that this doesn't happen again.
  • sshultz
    sshultz Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've heard so many arguments both ways on eating before bed. People building muscle (and who doesn't want to do that) say you should eat slow digesting protein before bed, i.e. cottage cheese, casein protein shake to feed the muscles and reduce the catabolic affect. I personally want to build muscle and lose fat. I will sometimes eat before bed if I'm hungry but it's always something high in protein and low in carbs. I think the comment on planning is probably the best. If you know what you will be burning, then you can be prepared. Definitely stay away from carbs if you are going to eat before bed. And I also agree that if it's once in a while, no biggie either way. Just as long as it's not a habit.
  • rbc_racing
    rbc_racing Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Planning the best answer, as far as not eating before bed, well that is a diet myth. Your base metabolic rate determines the speed of food digestion sleeping or awake. Eating before bed is not going to throw your diet into a tailspin, unless its a box of twinkies that catch your eye.

Here is some more good info regarding the subject
    http://www.aolhealth.com/medical-myths/medical-myths-eating-before-bed
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm twinkies...................................... :wink: :wink: :wink: