Breaking addictions?

Options
My addictions.

1. Eating out on weekends.
I think this is so bad because I finally have money to eat out and there isnt anything else to do in this small town.

2. Eating at night.
I actually am doing alot better with this :)

3.leaving junk food alone when its always around due to others in the house.

If you have or had these any advice is welcome :) thanks!

Replies

• Lmezz11
    Lmezz11 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    1. Eating out is not a bad thing. Try to look at the menus before hand and pick out healthy choices so you go in knowing what you will eat.

2. I have a problem with eating at night too... I've heard drinking water when you want to eat at night helps curb that.

3. Have your own "junk food" around. Make special snacks that you only have when you are tempted by other things!

Hope this helps a little bit :)
  • kfareed
    kfareed Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't think eating at night is a problem in itself, in fact I lost most weight by eating only at night and going to bed (one meal a day). that did not give me any chance to binge or much. my problem is if i eat, i get hungry all day long, and have to eat regularly and rack up my calories.
    Eating out is not good for you, try to eat at home if you can, if not try to make healthy selections the best you can.
    If you don't eat junk for 1-2 weeks, your cravings to it will be way down, so you may not actually reach for it even if it's around, so best tactic for this is if you go on vacation or a trip, when you come back you won't be tempted by the junk laying around the house.
    hope this helps
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    eating out isnt all bad alot of place have low calorie stuff that is delicious so if you can stick to that you should be fine

i struggled with eating at night to but i find that chewing gum helps alot! just a few sticks of gum a night and i dont snack anymore :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    First, stop looking at them as addictions, that will make them seem harder to break. These are simply habits that you would like to modify.

1. Look at where you are going and pay attention to the menu. Order healthier items and eat in moderation. Also, don't be afraid to ask for changes to made. I've created entire entrees from items in different entrees on the menu and never had an issue.

2. There's nothing wrong with eating at night. There isn't a magical cut off time that you should stop eating. If you know that you snack in the evenings, plan your day so that you have some calories to use up then. If you really just don't want to eat at night, brush your teeth and swig some mouthwash. That'll stop the snacking.

3. Willpower and stubbornness. You've told yourself that you're going to accomplish this goal, now make yourself do it. No one else can do it for you and all the tricks in the book aren't going to stop you from eating something if you just aren't willing to not eat it.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    i'm addicted to aspartame
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    My problem is munching on my kids food! Thats why Im stalled lately
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    Eating out on weekend - I broke this by being broke, but I actually enjoy cooking! I would suggest either eating something out that is "healthier" or just cut it completely out and start making cooking a habit or maybe a hobby?? If it's eating out with friends that is what you're missing out on you could always have people over and cook for them :3 I personally find having friends over for dinner and drinks is a lot more enjoyable than spending a crapload of money on calorie laden food and watered down drinks.

Eating at night - I'm unclear how this is a problem. If it's because of the time, I don't think this is a problem, but if it's because you are going over calories, I would suggest that you have several small meals during the day and just make sure that one of those meals is close to bedtime so you are less likely to overeat.

Junk food - I really have no clue and as I'm working on this myself. Staying at my bfs on the weekends KILLS my progress :/ I guess bump to see what others have to say :)

Good luck!!!!
  • Evoletlove24
    Options
    Thanks! At night i tend to go for the junk. I try to just get used to reading and going to bed when the cravings come :)
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Ignore the rules and make up your own that work for you. Try to eat the majority of your calories at your evening meal. Simple. Try to stop eating a few hours before sleeping, though. This will allow your body a 12-hour 'fast' and allow the body to go through its normal hormonal processes, which are kind of important. Like someone else said, there's no 'magic hour'. Just time it so you get a 12-hour fast. I eat at 7:00 am, so I stop eating after 7:00. If I'm sleeping in, like on weekends, I might just eat something in the evening. Easy.

Here's a snack idea: 12 dates, 2 heaping T. raw cacao, 1/2 cup almond butter, 1/2 cup shredded coconut - mix in the blender [scrape the sides], roll into balls and in more coconut. Refridge for 30 minutes. Enjoy a couple. You'll be satisfied because they are healthy, sweet and full of nutrients, rather than empty calories.

When you're out, go for the salad, veggie omelettes, and fruit. You may feel deprived at first, if they're not your usual choices, but when you lean back and look at everyone else, they'll be bloated, stuffed and wondering how they're going to last the rest of the night. You'll be satisfied and feeling ready to go!

Hollycat:flowerforyou:
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    i'm addicted to aspartame

Oh dear god me too. I quit constantly, but there is nothing like the buzz from aspartame and caffeine.

I've been able to reduce quite a bit by putting the money I spend on diet coke in a clear mason jar. Normally I would spend $4 a day, so if I only have 1 can I put $3 in the jar, if I have 2 I put $2 in, etc. I just started, have saved nearly $300, and have greatly reduced my consumption.
  • Evoletlove24
    Options
    I really like the money jar idea. Stick what i would of speny in a jar and use it for cloyhes when I'm thin!
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Hopefully it will work for you. I love watching the jar fill up! I bet if you put your weekend restaurant money in a jar in would add up really fast!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    My first thought was that you might want to save the money that you would normally spend on eating out and look forward to something you will do when you get enough money. Vacation? Clothes shopping? I wouldn't cut it out completely, though; maybe enjoy going out once per month instead of once per week.

Hobbies/crafts are a great distraction for me when I'm tempted to snack in the evening. I've recently set up a couple of aquariums, so I will do maintenance on one of them if I need the distraction. I like beading and crocheting also.
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    eating after 830 or 9

Save money

Eat clean