Lost motivation and just keep wanting to give up :(

Options
Last Thursday, Friday and Saturday I ate a lot of food and just totally lost control. Well actually, I didn't eat a huge amount, but just really bad junk food which made me go way over my calorie limit on those days. I want to get over it and do well now but I have this awful mentality where once I've done badly at something, I just give up because I think I've failed anyway.

For years I've always been able to lose weight, but then after around 5-6 months of eating really well, I suddenly crave junk food and then I binge. In the past this has been because I would eat ridiculously small amounts of really healthy food. This time I had really hoped that as I was actually eating proper amounts (including a little junk food), that it wouldn't happen but it has.

Every single time in the past after I've binged even for just a single day, I may go back to eating well for a few days or a week but after that I just give up and re-gain all the weight back. I really badly do not want this to happen this time! I ate well on Sunday and had thought I was getting back on track again, but today when I woke up I kept thinking about having another binge day. Thankfully I didn't but I feel it's only a matter of time until this happens.

What should I do to prevent this from happening? I HAVE to lose weight this time. I was just about feeling better about myself, I really don't want to ruin everything again.

Replies

• berfy
    berfy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I lose 20lbs, start feeling a little better about myself, and slack off. Haven't lost anything in over a month, but thankfully haven't gained any either. Seems like the only time I can stick to it is when I'm completely broke! If you find something that works, let me know :)
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    What should I do to prevent this from happening? I HAVE to lose weight this time. I was just about feeling better about myself, I really don't want to ruin everything again.

Eat more on a regular basis. You are too young and active to try and live on 1,200.
  • dolphinblu63
    Options
    i dont know if this will help, ok i take my 750ml bottle water with me everywhere an constanly drink it an keep refilling it ,its my best friend, if im going shopping i will buy a pear or apple any peice of fruit befor i start an eat it while shopping , or eat at home befor you go out anywhere, that way your to full an hopefuly the smell of junk food makes you feel yuky, you will soon get use to doing this an hopefuly wont binge ,good luck
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    stop feeling guilty about mistakes and get off your butt and do it!. I took my doctor basicaly slapping me in the face about my wieght.

Read or watch Forks over Knives.

Get moving and eat smarter!
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Ok, I just looked at your diary for the last couple of weeks and read your profile. Here is what I see..Not an expert, BTW, just someone who has struggled with weight their whole life too. Seeing as you are a medical biochem student, you know the body needs fuel. It looks like at times in your life you have actively struggled with Anorexia(200-300 calories per day?) I don't know if you ever sought any formal treatment or if you realized what you were doing to yourself and stopped. You need to increase your calorie goal slightly..I have mine at 1230 as well, but with my activity level (I have a FitBit) I usually eat closer to 1500 most days. I would guess that you expend at least 300 extra calories walking from class to class. You are getting to dinner without enough calories left. I would bulk up your diet with more fresh fruit and vegetables, it will keep you full and help you get all the micronutrients your body is screaming for( hence the binge days). I'm sure you wouldn't let a bad score keep you from finishing school, why let a bad weekend keep you from reaching your goal? If you got a bad score you would assess what happened and change something to do better next exam, correct? Do the same for weight loss. It isn't a sprint, it is a cross-country obstacle course. It is for life. Some weeks we hit an obstacle and have to find a new way around it. I started this journey at 250LBS( 17 stone or 113kg) I am now 193lbs. I joined Weight Watchers February 2011 and switched to MFP Sept 13, 2012. I have had many plateaus and bad weekends since this started, but since I never quit, I am still getting closer to my goal. Reframe your perspective..You haven't failed, you hit an obstacle and have to overcome it, you can only fail if you quit. If what you are doing isn't working(leads to binge behavior) change it, but don't quit! Never quit.
  • Sabrina__26
    Options
    Ok, I just looked at your diary for the last couple of weeks and read your profile. Here is what I see..Not an expert, BTW, just someone who has struggled with weight their whole life too. Seeing as you are a medical biochem student, you know the body needs fuel. It looks like at times in your life you have actively struggled with Anorexia(200-300 calories per day?) I don't know if you ever sought any formal treatment or if you realized what you were doing to yourself and stopped. You need to increase your calorie goal slightly..I have mine at 1230 as well, but with my activity level (I have a FitBit) I usually eat closer to 1500 most days. I would guess that you expend at least 300 extra calories walking from class to class. You are getting to dinner without enough calories left. I would bulk up your diet with more fresh fruit and vegetables, it will keep you full and help you get all the micronutrients your body is screaming for( hence the binge days). I'm sure you wouldn't let a bad score keep you from finishing school, why let a bad weekend keep you from reaching your goal? If you got a bad score you would assess what happened and change something to do better next exam, correct? Do the same for weight loss. It isn't a sprint, it is a cross-country obstacle course. It is for life. Some weeks we hit an obstacle and have to find a new way around it. I started this journey at 250LBS( 17 stone or 113kg) I am now 193lbs. I joined Weight Watchers February 2011 and switched to MFP Sept 13, 2012. I have had many plateaus and bad weekends since this started, but since I never quit, I am still getting closer to my goal. Reframe your perspective..You haven't failed, you hit an obstacle and have to overcome it, you can only fail if you quit. If what you are doing isn't working(leads to binge behavior) change it, but don't quit! Never quit.

Thanks for your reply. A lot of what you just said makes so much sense but even though I know you're right I find it really hard for me to change my ways. I know, have known for some weeks now that I need to up my calories. Most days I eat between 1000-1200 calories which is leaving me hungry - especially days when I've been at the gym and burned 500 or so calories. I never thought I would be hungry on that though as I've done months on 100-150 calories in the past!

I'm not going to quit at all. I'm definitely going to start eating back some of my exercise calories instead. Hopefully this will help me keep on track.
  • jnetholmer
    Options
    I know how you feel. I always seem to go back to the bad habits that got me in this situation. I hope that you do no give up. I starting posting notecards with reasons why I don't want to go back to the bad habits. Now everytime I open the fridge I see, "I want to be in a picture with my kids where I don't hate the way I look." Don't quit or give up, make another change or re-examine how you are fighting the battle! Just trying is better than some people!