HAS THIS EVER HAPPENED TO YOU?

Options
This might dumb question but; Saturday when I was doing flat bench I felt something pull in my chest. I really wasnt going that heavy it was on my last set of 295lbs for 5 reps. and I finished my workout I felt it but it wasnt that bad. Yesterday I could not lift my arm above my head, and the whole side of my chest was black and blue. Today I had full range of motion and felt well enough to workout. But I am courious as to why or how it bruised so badly. have any of you guys had this happen to you?

Replies

• enigmachik
    Options
    That happened to my boyfriend once. I don't know why. I'll be curious to hear other answers.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    It's possible that you put too much strain on your body and tore a blood vessel, which caused blood to leak into your soft tissue
  • catgirl711
    Options
    From what you were explaining and the quick bruising and all that I would say you burst a blood vessel or two in your chest. Nothing serious, the bruising will go away.
    But as weird as it sounds blood is very irritating to bodily tissues. It's supposed to stay in the vessels so when it escapes because a vessels bursts (which can happen due to the strain you are putting on them with the workout) it causes soreness and possibly even the inability to move around like you want. That's why bruises hurt too.

I'm an R.N. so that's just my educated guess.
  • TuDominicano
    TuDominicano Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    best bet, have it checked out to be on the safe side. maybe a pulled tendon or ligament.
  • TuDominicano
    TuDominicano Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    good to know....
    From what you were explaining and the quick bruising and all that I would say you burst a blood vessel or two in your chest. Nothing serious, the bruising will go away.
    But as weird as it sounds blood is very irritating to bodily tissues. It's supposed to stay in the vessels so when it escapes because a vessels bursts (which can happen due to the strain you are putting on them with the workout) it causes soreness and possibly even the inability to move around like you want. That's why bruises hurt too.

I'm an R.N. so that's just my educated guess.
  • Alma_Sana
    Alma_Sana Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    It's possible that you put too much strain on your body and tore a blood vessel, which caused blood to leak into your soft tissue

I have to agree with the mfp'er who wrote this. Too much strain even momentarily could have broke some blood vessels causing the bruising. Warm compresses a few times a day could help the bruising to break up and dissolve that blood and could go away faster.