I am taking full responsibility for making a mistake.

Options
Those of you who follow my exploits on MFP have likely recognized that I haven't been around here very much over the past week. In the trial and appellate litigation practice, the period between Halloween and Thanksgiving is as busy for litigators as the first two weeks of April are for tax accountants. That is so because trial judges work hard to empty their dockets in advance of the holiday season. Additionally, on a personal basis, I have spent six out of the past seven evenings/nights working as a volunteer umpire during the local little league's fall fundraising tournament. While that experience has been fun, rewarding, and decent exercise, it has also taken me out of my (past three months) routine of power walking for approximately an hour a day six or so days per week.

As a result of the confluence of a busy work schedule and busy community volunteer schedule, I have failed to plan my eating as well as I should have over the past week. I have not met my personal exercise goals for calories burned for the past week. The result has been that I have gained back one pound over the past week.

I am not writing this to publicly flagellate or humiliate myself.

I am not writing this to explain why I am throwning in the towel.

Instead, I write this to take personal responsibility for failing to plan as well as I should have in order to continue my relatively dramatic weight loss over the past week.

I write this to acknowledge that while I have failed to maintain my pace of weight loss over the past several days, I continue to succeed in my overall goal of regaining my health and fitness.

I write this to acknowledge that if one is driving from coast-to-coast, and has a flat tire in Kansas, you don't shoot out the other three tires and sit by the side of the road. You put on your big boy underwear (or big girl panties, as appropriate), slap on your spare tire, and keep driving.

I write this to reaffirm my dedication to regular exercise and to eat a greater percentage of my food intake as less processed, whole foods.

I write this to acknowledge that while I may not reach my goal until several days later than planned, I--- WILL--- REACH---- MY--- GOAL. Period. End of discussion.

And now, if you will excuse me, I have a honeycrisp apple to eat (as a means of diminishing my pre-dinner hunger), 40 ounces of water to consume, and an hour or so walk to enjoy.

I hope that each of you decides to love you as much as I finally love me. Have a beautiful rest of your Monday.

Scott R. in Houston, Tx.

Replies

• Greg3705
    Greg3705 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Sometimes life gets in the ways. You seem to be doing get and have a wonderful attitude. You are awesome. And inspiring.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Oh, okay. But don't let it happen again.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    So true. A few slip-ups are inevitable; that doesn't mean you give up.
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Nice post. Great attitude as always!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I adore your attitude!!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of being accountable - and of writing it down and putting it into a public space to help keep yourself accountable. The power of putting it down and out there is a great personal motivator. I'm glad you shared this with us and yourself!
  • DiscipleN2k
    DiscipleN2k Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Rock on, man!
  • futurestarz
    Options
    Awesome, as usual! I need to write one of these for myself, because i have definitely been slacking for almost the past two weeks.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Sometimes life gets in the ways. You seem to be doing get and have a wonderful attitude. You are awesome. And inspiring.

Exactly what I was thinking and 1lb isn't the end of the world..........and I can relate to business cycles throughout the year.
  • b14a3w3
    b14a3w3 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Let that be a lesson to young man......but since you have acknowledged a failing, and it was one failing......proceed as planned with my blessing. Love your attitude. Another apple for you.
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    that damn volunteering getting in the way of EVERYTHING again!!!! such is life :)
  • tubaman58
    Options
    As you said to me once, it is a marathon, not a sprint :)\
  • MrsTheFinalThird
    MrsTheFinalThird Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It is called living life and ours is wonderful!! So are you!!!
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I almost left a message on your wall telling you how "quiet" it had been lately. Now I understand. You continue to be inspiring friend.
  • prpljellybean
    prpljellybean Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love your posts!!
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options

I write this to acknowledge that if one is driving from coast-to-coast, and has a flat tire in Kansas, you don't shoot out the other three tires and sit by the side of the road. You put on your big boy underwear (or big girl panties, as appropriate), slap on your spare tire, and keep driving.

Marvelous and apt analogy. Love the post, love the attitude.
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    “If you find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn’t lead anywhere.” ~Unknown
  • slleader
    slleader Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Very well said....As always!! :) Have a great rest of the week and Wonderful Holiday!!

Shelly
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Great attitude - and with an attitude like that, I have no doubt YOU WILL GET THERE!
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Awesome post. thanks. :flowerforyou: