going to the gym

Options
Am I the only one who has to put up with attitude when going to the gym? Does your spouse or what ever give you grief over it?

Replies

• Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I am single for reasons of lack of support.
    I do have a teenager that would rather I could go home straight from work to fix her food than go to the gym. Also on days I don't work I usually go to yoga so I am not home then either. She is also discouraged by the lack of junk food in the house. She is 50#s more than I was at her age she is not starving and loves to eat my leftover veggie stir fry's.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    yeh mine reckons ill end up with one of the blokes at the gym............ i personally think thats a load of bull i go cos i enjoy working out and do not go to pick up ( im in love with my partner he just has insecurities)
    What sorta grief??
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Nahh, my wife doesn't care. I usually go at night during the week, she uses that time to catch up on horrible tv that I won't allow in the house and on the weekends I go before she wakes up. But, I'm lucky because I married the best person in the world. :)
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    My husband doesnt give me grief but he pretends to be on board with my weight loss but isnt really.
  • Ervie317
    Ervie317 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My fiance is really into lifting so he actually encourages me to go, especially when I haven't been in a while. He would never get mad at me for going because he understands.
  • conraj74
    conraj74 Posts: 182
    Options
    I always invite her along. But she never wants to, I don't give her crap about staying home and watching tv. Guess I will chalk it up to a lil jealousy I guess.
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Model your body and she will be happy.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: My hubby 100% supportive and has dinner ready as soon as I get home. Keep up your good work and I am sure she will appreciate it!!!
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Luckily no, we both go together. It's something we share (sort of as it were) and go together. She's a dream my wife is.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    no not at all...he always asks me how my workout was, he goes as well but we are on different schedules , sometimes we go together if we can
  • bellydancer124
    Options
    Maybe she's feeling guilty that she doesn't have the drive to go, but you do? So she's just lashing out? I know, because I've done that in the past. :blushing:

My bf and I go to the gym together. Actually, scratch that. We belong to the same gym, but hardly ever go together lol. I usually go in the morning before work and, since he works from home, he goes in the afternoon. We never give each other grief though. Quite the opposite...we encourage each other to go (if one of us is feeling lazy) and support each other. I think that's how it should be.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky - hubby totally supports me working out. He sees what it's doing for me (and I think he likes it, hahah!). He would probably join me, if we had someone to watch the kids.
  • katelimom
    Options
    I used to give my partner a bit of attitude about it - in truth, I was jealous because I wasn't taking the time to take care of myself. My excuse was always along the lines of "I don't have time because I'm cooking dinner, doing housework, yard work, spending time with the kids, etc. etc." About a month ago I recognized this for the excuse that it is, and I've had 100% support for almost daily trips to the gym, and now that I'm giving myself permission to take that time, I'm much more supportive of my spouse taking the time as well. Could there be some (overt or covert) jealousy going on?
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    my bf and I just moved in together a month ago. So far no grief. I'm lucky. I've dated guys before that were massivly unsupportive.
    He's actually looking to join a gym himself. Yay for a guy who gives a crap about how he looks!!

Sometimes it is awkward to workout with your partner.

She could be feeling insecure about you going. Which sucks, but talking it over could help. Good luck!
  • Littlegurl
    Littlegurl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Nah, my husband works out a lot too. We have different hours as far as work sometimes, so we usually only go to the gym together about once a week. But we also jog together at least once a week. He does say that my diet is annoying though. Lol.
  • blondeski
    Options
    my current boyfriend encourages going to the gym, and he wishes he could go too. sometimes he goes running when he gets home from class, but I actually wake up with him on the weekdays (6am) because he has early class and I don't- so instead of staying in bed I get up. he brings me a coffee and then we leave at the same time.

my EX on the other hand, used to get really pissed of when I went to the gym. he thought that wherever I went I would meet other guys (the mall, school, gym, etc). he had issues. he also couldn't stand the thought of me bettering myself, because he was also a very negative person...

IF ANYONE discourages you wanting to feel better/look better by going to the gym, THEY ARE NOT who you want to surround yourself with. studies show that people who get into a healthy lifestyle stop being friends with the unhealthy ones... its combination of the healthy person seeing that the unhealthy person brings them down, and the unhealthy person resenting the healthy person for bettering themselves.
  • shandamarie75
    shandamarie75 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    With a body like that I wouldnt let you out of my house! :tongue: No, J/K. She should support you. Going to the gym is doing something good for yourself. Make yourself number one priority! She will just have to get over it.
  • conraj74
    conraj74 Posts: 182
    Options
    don't get me wrong, I love her to death. Its just having to put up with the gym thing. kind of gets me in a pissy mood. However, I seem to lift heavier on those days. So I guess that's a plus..lol
  • spazzyshorty
    Options
    My boyfriend gives me awesome encouragement when I go running-- no matter how little or how slow I run, he always cheers me on! If your partner isn't happy for your health journey, that's a red flag.