WE are doing it right! WOOT!

Options
arewethereyet
arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/diet-information

full article:
http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/diet-help?page=1

Having spent the best part of my adult life on some fad diet or another, I had given up on weight loss. My motto was "Your going to make one of two sacrifices: Be fat and unhappy with your body, or be on a diet and be unhappy with your food!" I chose food for many years thinking I could not have both.

One day I went to my doctor of over 20 years to discuss my medicines. One in particular was making me sick so I stopped it. He was not happy with this and asked me when my Crestor-for very high cholesterol made me sick.

" Well, like when I eat pizza" was my reply. His reply..............and I quote.... ":noway: " PIZZA??? for some reason this stuck with me. Here I am taking the highest statin drug to get the bad stuff out of my system, while I am pouring it in the other side! If I was my best friend I woulda slapped me upside the head!!!:angry:

So I surfed the web yet again for another diet wagon to jump on...........but this time I met Mike and came into the community known as MFP.

1. I was realistic on my weight loss goals. I set an attainable number of 10 pounds. (knowing I really wanted to lose 25-30)
2. I was patient. I didn't drop down to 1000 calories or try to run a 5k. I added a 1 lb weight loss per week, and did 20 min of exercise a day
3. I was supported. Meeting people, supporting others, and making new friends is KEY in not only my weight loss but in my KEEPING IT OFF for over a year now!
4. I am still analytical-checking for mood eating........fight with DH?? Eat an apple!
5. Being vigilant has driven some of my friends crazy.........the same ones who are still very over weight and have been on 3 diets (and one had lipo on the tummy and all the fat is back:cry: ) tell me I am nuts for stopping to log my food after lunch.
6. Flexibility is also a key rule here. Man, if you don't have that piece of fudge now and again, you WILL binge....promise:flowerforyou: Control it. Work for it. Enjoy it. Forget it.
7. Be active. I often say I take the stairs for Kati, or walked my mile for Marla....2 of my MFP friends. When I started here I parked close to the store, asked someone to lift the dog food....now I take every opportunity to be active. Take the stairs-even when my friends are on the escalator or elevator, park way back in the pkg lot, take a lap around the grocery store with a full cart!!
8. Being optimistic kept me going forward. I could see people like Tamtastic was at 89-99-100....up to 135 pounds LOST....with no sx or fad diet. This kept my optimism high at all times. When I was down because I only lost 1/2 pound.....Banks was there to say-THAT IS GREAT!! keep up the good work.

So that is my story-using WH mag as a backdrop.

I went to the doctor yesterday. He complimented me on keeping the weight off....even said how proud he was of my healthy new lifestyle (off the cholesterol meds for a long time now!) When I told him I only have 10 to go and I felt like a bit of a failure for not losing them..............he pointed out that 80% of the people who lose 10+ pounds gain it back within a few months. He said I should be proud that I lost 35 and KEPT it off for over a year.....and that I am still aware of what I eat and make time to move my body!!

Be proud MFP friends......................we are DOING it!! We are beating the cycle!!

WOOT!!!
:heart: Jeannie

Replies

• Moneygrow3
    Options
    You are amazing and inspirational!! You should be very proud of yourself!!! Way to go!!!!
  • goldk
    goldk Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Jeannie - Thanks for sharing! Congratulations on your success!! We are doing it right! :flowerforyou:
  • youngs
    youngs Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the wonderful and encouraging story..You really made me stop and think of what I have accomplished so far and by the great way that I have done it..an you also made me more determand to loss the rest ...Congrats to you for all of your positive accomplishments you should be so proud of yourself and your family and friends should be proud of you also!!
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    You should be so proud of yourself. We can do it right, and you are such an inspiration for not being daft over it, but for making sustainable, life long changes. :happy:
  • naesdestiny
    naesdestiny Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Jeannie you are wonderful! I am glad to know you and have you as a friend!:flowerforyou:
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    You are so awesome Jeannie. Tis why I wubs you so.:smooched:
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Love you, Jeannie!!! You have inspired me more times than I could ever count!
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    :heart:
    you, my friend, are awesome! And this is why we all :heart: you so much :)
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Thanks for the wonderful and encouraging story..You really made me stop and think of what I have accomplished so far and by the great way that I have done it..an you also made me more determand to loss the rest ...Congrats to you for all of your positive accomplishments you should be so proud of yourself and your family and friends should be proud of you also!!

YOU made me stop and cry! You are the reason I have continued to eat better and exercise more!!

Keep up the good work! Your looking fine my dear!:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Just look at your beautiful faces:happy: Each one of you has helped me in one way or another. Just knowing you are here helps me through the day.

You all inspire me to be a better person!:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Just look at your beautiful faces:happy: Each one of you has helped me in one way or another. Just knowing you are here helps me through the day.

You all inspire me to be a better person!:flowerforyou:
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Jeannie, we ARE doing it, and I always love reading your insights, encouragements, and funnies... "PIZZA???!!!" had me cracking up!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm proud of you, and proud to know you, lady. :drinker:

You're doing GREAT, and your doc was right!!!!!! :bigsmile:

:smile: :flowerforyou:
  • bennettv
    bennettv Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Today I stepped on the scale and officially made it to 20 lbs lost. Your post made me teary eyed because it's so right! Something so fundamental has changed within me that I can't even begin to explain it to people. The best way to try to explain it is confidence, I have all the confidence in the world that when clothes get too big I can give them away because I'm not going back. I will not need them again.

I have an aunt who lost over 100 lbs. She was even featured in a weight loss book of success stories, but before she was able to get the skin reduction surgery she started gaining it back. I think she gained the 100 and more. To see you keep it off for a year is amazing and gives me the confidence to know I can do it too!
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    arewethereyet...you're such a great inspiration and still as sweet as ever :flowerforyou:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Well said Jeannie, you rock honey.

"What is the 'piza' of which you speak?" :laugh:

Yep,,, I can't even show my big slopy graph to people any more, my really heavy days are over a year past now. Eternal vigilance is the price of collarbones,,, it's a way of life now, it's just how we are.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Bless your heart-- what can I say that everyone here hasn't already said?

You are THE motivator for so many of us, and personally I am humbled to ever read that somehow I have been of use to you-- I love the stuffing out of you.
  • Jax67
    Jax67 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    :happy: :flowerforyou:
    Thank you for sharing your story with us, you really are an amazing lady and a true inspiration x
  • kelli_panzera
    Options
    Lady, I love to read your posts because you're not only positive, but motivational and honest and FUNNY!!!! I just wanted to say thanks for being straightforward and letting us know your story. You're awesome!
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this post!!
    Although different circumstances- it's the reason I'm here. I'm still new and I'm looking for those people to help me finish the last leg of my journey. You're an inspiration! Thank you thank you thank you!!

:drinker:
  • zippy111
    zippy111 Posts: 2,241 Member
    Options
    Jeannie! You have no idea how timely this post has been for me! I just got back from running 45 min. I come back on MFP to what has just been stalking lately and not committing. My last PM to Batman was why bother...kick me off the team! Truth is, it use to be easy once I set my mind to doing it....46 years old and that TOM hasn't come in 5 months now. Use to be like clock work. Went for some blood work but I think it just my time to start the changes...which I know can last for years..augh!!!:mad:

What I want to say is that I really needed a kick in the *kitten*! I think/pray/hope this will do it! I want to be that little train the could....I think I can I think can.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Thank you my friend!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!