49% Body Fat

Options
Yep, you read it right, 49%. This is according to the measurement done by one of the trainers at my gym. (Obviously, I don't take advantage of the gym's services too much to have so much body fat).

This week I joined MFP and have decided that I can't go on living this way. My big girl clothes were too small so I had to buy bigger girl clothes. I feel ashamed and embarrassed by my size. I avoid having my picture taken and when I can, I avoid social situations.

I am lazy when it comes to the weights. I abhor strength training with a passion. But, from reading the posts, I realize that is something I'm going to need to overcome if I want to get at a healthy body fat %.

The trainer developed a program for me where you use weights for the lower body, then instead of resting, he wants me to work on the upper body, and vice versa. The whole program, if done without having to wait for someone ahead of me to finish, is roughly 30 minutes for 3 days a week.

My Questions:

1.)Is this sufficient time with the weights? Is it a good starting point to work up to something longer?

2.) Is the fact that it's 2/3 machines okay?

3.) How do you "make" yourself like doing weights?

4.) Any other words of weight-lifting wisdom?

Thank you so much to everyone who replies. I appreciate you.

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on deciding you want to make a change.

I'm no personal trainer...I have lost about 50lbs in the last 14/15 months, and I attribute it to the cardio. I do the eliptical machine like a madman, and I ride a bike long distances...like 40-60 miles (weather permitting).

I have been weightlifting for about 7 months. I've put on a little muscle, and I have trained myself to eat less...I think I might have some extra muscle which has given my metabolism a kick in the pants. The net effect is I can eat more, and still lose weight. I do, however, eat clean.

I think it's the cardio that has been responsible for the bulk of my weight loss. I lift weights because i enjoy it...sometimes I look in the mirror, and I say DAMN...my arms are getting NICE, I like that, and that's I lift weights.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It's great to workout but 90% of your weight loss will come from your food intake. Lifting will help you maintain muscle mass but it isn't much of a calorie burn and you really should do some cardio fitness as well.
  • kittenbobitten
    kittenbobitten Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I love weight machines and hate cardio and free weights. I have no form. But I just tell myself (with the cardio) that it is something I HAVE TO do to meet my goals. Even though that is kind of bullying myself, it makes me tough it out.
  • cathyenb
    Options
    It's a start you will be able to go longer as time goes on, I started 1 year post op. I could only do about 15 minutes on the treadmill and I was dead. Now I can do 4-5 miles on the treadmill or elliptical easy but progress slowly so you don't get yourself in so much pain you don't want to work out. I noticed after about three months of regular working out I actually crave it now. I'm finding it's harder to pull myself to the gym now that our lovely PNW weather is in full swing but I just keep going. I now split my workouts a couple days of cardio only then 3 cardio and weights for 30 minutes. It wasn't that way in the beginning it took me months to build up to that and still have a long way. You can do this trust me if I can anybody can!! Get it Girl!!!
  • tbrp
    tbrp Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    You may never 'like' doing weights, but what you will probably find is that you will love the way you start to feel as you lose weight and get healthier.

It sounds like you have a good plan to get started. Stay with it, you can do this!
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    you're making a great start!! i just started reading New Rules of Lifting for Women and it is FANTASTIC. It's an easy read, and it's incredibly informative.