Exercise or not Exercise??

Options
Ok, so I try to be pretty honest with my exercise. I'm not trying to fool myself. But I wonder should you log "Cleaning" as exercise. I see that as daily tasks: like getting up, taking a shower, walking to the car, cooking dinner, etc... Now I'm not picking on anyone who categorizes cleaning as exercise, but maybe I'm doing it wrong. I don't really work up a sweat or anything so its just daily tasks. Part of regular living. So do you give yourself "exercise" credit for "cleaning"? Just wondering...

Replies

• DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I don't claim cleaning. I know some people do and that's cool, but I feel you need to be doing something more then what you would normally be doing.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I don't give myself exercise credits for anything I do in a normal day. That includes cleaning and any usual forms of activity (such as using the stairs instead of elevator at work). I just log the activities that are outside of a usual day. I'm not sure if this is the right way but I think a normal day and a normal day's calories includes the usual routine.
  • 141by2016
    Options
    Yeah, no. I don't even usually log my usual mile walk to school. Cleaning is not exercise.
  • rachelerwin
    rachelerwin Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I do not log cleaning as exercise. I figure it never helped me lose weight before. I only log exercise at the gym.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I only log my cardio.. still haven't figured out how to log my weights...
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Well that's what I thought. But a lot of people claim cleaning, so I thought gosh maybe I am missing something... but doing laundry and the windows have never helped me before. lol
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    well it does get you up moving so you certainly could, but its not really working out so im not sure?
  • smousley
    Options
    I log my cleaning because it's not something I do on a daily basis. I will clean my entire apartment once every week or two and it takes a couple hours, so I log it.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    if you only log going to the gym as working out then you dont add to your calorie goal as much so youll lose more
  • KM11102011
    Options
    The only person on my FL who logs cleaning is a competitive athlete...and he moves from pack to podium, so I'm saying yes.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I only log my cardio.. still haven't figured out how to log my weights...

Use the "strength training" exercise under cardio
  • seed_of_wonder
    seed_of_wonder Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    if its light cleaning then its definitely not worth logging but if im rearranging, scrubbing, lifting, and moving a bunch for hours at a time then i might log it
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    this again.
    not my business.
  • rolal
    rolal Posts: 7
    Options
    I will log it if it's especially vigorous cleaning (like thoroughly scrubbing down the whole bathroom) and I do break a sweat.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I logged it once or twice when I cleaned out an entire room and moved furniture and stuff, but no, I don't usually log it.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I only claim cleaning if it's something big like moving furniture. And even then I only log it if I feel like I didn't get in enough calories that day because of it.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I feel only planned exercise should be logged, not non-exercise thermogenesis activities such as daily chores because there isn't any realistic way to measure energy expenditure for them.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Only log things that are done for the sole purpose of exercise. Logging anything else is ridiculous. It's just an excuse to eat more.