Should you always be sore after a workout?

Options
So about a month ago I started a new leg routine and it was great. The first few training days I was super sore but lately I am never sore after my workout. During my leg routine and by the end my legs feel like flubber but then as the day goes on it just disappears? Even today I decide to switch it up and lift heavier weights with fewer reps, by the end my legs were jello but know they feel fine! Does it matter if your sore after a workout?

Replies

• charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'm almost always sore. You should become less sore over time, good stretching definitely helps, before and after a workout. It just means you are working those muscles :)
  • nadinab
    nadinab Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Soreness is normal if you're a beginner, if you've changed your usual routine or if you're trying new activities. But, that soreness should lessen over time and, if you're sore after every workout, you may need more recovery days or to reduce the intensity of your workouts to allow your body time to adapt and grow stronger. So I would say that there is nothing wrong with your workout - worry about it if it stops giving you results.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Streching helps a lot, like char said, I hate it, such a waste of time, but it prepares your mucles to work harder and deeper. I was sore at first, and then I packed on muscle. Recently I've upped all my weight limits again, and I'm back to sore. Soreness (if it's not too severe) tells you that you are on the right track, if the same weights fail to make you somewhat sore, then you are ready for higher weights, to grow and tone more muscle.

yes I said tone, but it's what girls like to hear. they really do lack the hormonal profile to bulk on muscle, so I figure it's an ok word to use
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    It means nothing. I like a *slight* soreness so I can feel like I did something but that is obviously not something I can control. As you adapt to working out you won't feel sore all the time. Nothing wrong with it.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    The exact thing happened to me. I switched it up and got sore again! For some reason I don't feel as if I got a good workout in if there is absolutely no soreness.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    You can get gains whether you are sore or not. As long as you progressively increase the amount you're lifting, you will continue to make gains. If you're sore, don't try to increase the weight too quickly though.

I find I'm most sore when I do high intensity work, i.e. lifting a weight close to or at my 1 rep max, or when I do a new exercise, even if I've worked that body part previously.
  • vincentpatel0
    vincentpatel0 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sore is expected

If your in pain you need to stop.

Look up using a foam roller on your days off and resistance bands to improve flexibilty. You"ll be suprised how much those two systems help in recovery. Using those two techniques before a workout can also help you work out HARDER. Ask any cross fit super athlete, its part of their "system"
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    You can get gains whether you are sore or not. As long as you progressively increase the amount you're lifting, you will continue to make gains. If you're sore, don't try to increase the weight too quickly though.

I find I'm most sore when I do high intensity work, i.e. lifting a weight close to or at my 1 rep max, or when I do a new exercise, even if I've worked that body part previously.

^This, I'm hardly ever sore any more. And that's with adding consistently. I find any more, that I'm more sore after running days than lifting days. But I'm making a steady progression on the amount of weight I'm lifting, so I'm not worried about it.
  • LoveAlwaysAlisa
    LoveAlwaysAlisa Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    No. If your muscles have adapted to the routine you won't get sore anymore. If you feel that not being sore anymore is indicating that you are not getting as good a workout as before then you can switch up your routine to something new. I don't think soreness is necessarily after every workout, especially if you are in a good habit of working out.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Nothing I do can make me sore anymore....
    I could shred my body for hours, until I cant lift an ounce,
    I still wont get sore.
  • Running makes me hobble around the next day, even when I do all the stretches and stuff.

I quite like the feeling, having grown used to move of the stuff I do every day.
  • Nothing I do can make me sore anymore....
    I could shred my body for hours, until I cant lift an ounce,
    I still wont get sore.

I like this. You go, girl.