Exercise when sick???

Options
Well I have had a sore throat for 2 days. Today being the second. This is also coming with strong cough. My question is, Do I even attemp to workout?? Not that I feel like it. Or should I take a break till I am feeling better?? :sick:

Kimmie

Replies

• SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    Listen to your body. If you want to try and do some low impact cardio, then have at it, but if your sore and achey and don't feel up to it, then take that break. :flowerforyou:
  • shellee9tj
    shellee9tj Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You should take a break at least for today and then see how you feel for the next couple days. If you overwork yourself while not feeling well, you will most likely get more run down and sicker!! Try to stay within your calories without the exercise, that is what I had to do recently and I am still on track! Good luck and hope you feel better soon!
  • rosesoflove1025
    Options
    It really depends on your body and what it is telling you. If you can, go for a walk but don't over do it because you don't want you cough to growing into anything more like bronchitis or pneumonia.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Don't over do it...gentle is the way to go. Light yoga or maybe Tai Chi. Since you're coughing don't do anything that can cause heavy breathing...it'll just make the cough worse.
    I would recomend mint tea with honey and lemon (mint calms, honey is an anticeptic and lemon will help the soreness)
    Also, licorice tea will help as well.
  • thuelskamp
    thuelskamp Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise when I'm sick. I figure my body needs to use all of its resources to get better instead of using my energy and resources to recover from workouts.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    A sore throat and cough is usually a sign that there is an infection - could be viral like a cold, or bacterial like strep throat. Give your body a break from exercising as it is already working overtime to fight the infection. Start up again when you feel better, but be mindful that you may need a couple of days to get up to your pre-sickness level.

To put it in doggy terms: Go to bed! Stay! Heal! :drinker:
  • kathymurphy
    Options
    I feel the same way and we are getting ready to go visit my elderly mother in law in florida. just took two aspirin and having a cup
    of tea. It's hard to stay away from sick children when you are a teacher. will go home and walk a little instead of a lot and take a nap. then maybe lots of vitamin C. hope you feel better soon.:drinker: