Replies

• tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Yes they work.
  • NostalgicMuse
    NostalgicMuse Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I fix my hair w/ them sometimes...................
    :indifferent:
  • matsprt1984
    matsprt1984 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Your not using them enough or using them wrong.
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I prefer a good massage any day over those things!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I prefer a good massage any day over those things!
    Sure. So do I. But a roller is much more affordable.
    I find that I need fewer visits to the Chiro and the massage therapist for neck kinks if I just roll out once a day or so (upper body).
    And yes, it's great for tight ITBs.
  • matsprt1984
    Options
    for ultimate pain you need a rumble roller.

!CE0Jp0w!mk~$(KGrHqYOKiwE0qN3Q7ReBNTF6BROTQ~~_35.JPG

In black....;-)
  • lauriem1966
    lauriem1966 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of these before but I think I need one! Anyone have a youtube link they could share so I know how to use it???

ETA...I found one on the rumble roller, for myofascial release, which I currently attempt to do with a tennis ball for my extremely tight teres major....and to think I thought this thread would be about curling hair.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    so painful but yes they are good.
    since i cant afford real massages these are my cheapo alternatives
  • mmthelen25
    Options
    My Foam rolling is by far one of my fave parts of my workouts! hurts so good. I've noticed my muscles dont get as tight and recovery time is quicker :)
    http://www.performbetter.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PBOnePieceView?storeId=10151&catalogId=10751&languageId=-1&pagename=91

^^^ this website explains what its all about and also has some great techniques
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Controversial?!?!

Yes they work.
    +1 on rumble rollers. In Black.
  • lauriem1966
    lauriem1966 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I went ahead and ordered the rumble roller...but in blue, because my husband is going to use it too (he is a bit of a baby) and I want it primarily for my teres major...I hope I didn't make a mistake, seems like everyone here is raving about the black.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Foam? Meh, I use a piece of 4" PVC. Yes it's slight torture, and yes it really works. Make sure you have a safe-word established with your roller so you can tell it when the pain is too much.

I lol'd.
  • matsprt1984
    Options
    I went ahead and ordered the rumble roller...but in blue, because my husband is going to use it too (he is a bit of a baby) and I want it primarily for my teres major...I hope I didn't make a mistake, seems like everyone here is raving about the black.
    Blue is good, just a little softer on the muscles to start. Use it consistently and it will start to feel comfortable. It does take a little getting used to in the beginning.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

I've got a black RR. It's a good hardness for me. Normal foam rollers do nothing for me anymore so I upgraded to PVC pipe also. Some things the RR is better for ie. shoulder blades whereas a hard PVC pipe is still the best for legs IMO.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I dont use the rollers, I use a Morfam Massager with variable speeds. This thing will light you up. It's powerful and gets deep into the muscle and stimulates the blood flow to the point that you get an insatiable itch if you use in one place too long.

I use it before and after running and I have yet to have strains or pulls. (I dont have to stretch) It will reduce a knotted muscle to jello.

It also takes care of painful shin splints. For those not familiar, shin splints are inflammation where the tendon attaches to the shin bone; and because of the lack of adequate blood supply, it takes forever to heal.

I also use the Morfam on calves, thighs, quads, hams and it does great on loosening up my Achilles.

When doing my calves and Achilles I sit on the floor and turn the massager upside down and lay my leg on top. It beats a roller by a hundred miles.

I dont see too many of these massagers with variable speed, though I highly recommend that feature.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Massage-/36447/i.html?_nkw=morfam+massager
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I dont use the rollers, I use a Morfam Massager with variable speeds. This thing will light you up. It's powerful and gets deep into the muscle and stimulates the blood flow to the point that you get an insatiable itch if you use in one place too long.

I use it before and after running and I have yet to have strains or pulls. (I dont have to stretch) It will reduce a knotted muscle to jello.

It also takes care of painful shin splints. For those not familiar, shin splints are inflammation where the tendon attaches to the shin bone; and because of the lack of adequate blood supply, it takes forever to heal.

I also use the Morfam on calves, thighs, quads, hams and it does great on loosening up my Achilles.

When doing my calves and Achilles I sit on the floor and turn the massager upside down and lay my leg on top. It beats a roller by a hundred miles.

I dont see too many of these massagers with variable speed, though I highly recommend that feature.

I use a rolling pin on my achilles and shins.
  • rubysphoto
    rubysphoto Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yes! It may be a little painful at first but it works great. I do this and recommend doing this before and after your workout.
    http://www.completepathway.com/myofascial-release.html
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

GAWD! A hard rolling pin on shin splints? You must be a masochist. I cringe just thinking about it. LOL
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I use mine before and after lifting, has definitely made a difference to my mobility and stiffness. Really helpful.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

GAWD! A hard rolling pin on shin splints? You must be a masochist. I cringe just thinking about it. LOL
    It feels wonderful! In a terrible, painful way.