Anybody try taking Tonalin CLA?

Options
I know someone who takes it and suggest i use it. I'm just trying to see if any of you used it and had any results???

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Most studies have produced less than a pound a month fat loss and 1% increase in lean body mass. Results would be very minimal.
  • Circapaleo
    Options
    I've been taking a lot of CLA for a couple of years. I'm taking it because I don't get much at all in my diet and a doctor/friend recommended it to me for lessening the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis that seems to be appearing in my ankles. It, with a combination of a few other supplements, work well for keeping my RA at bay, but I've never noticed any effect on weight loss. So if it does, like the previous poster said, it's pretty minimal.
  • NaEl1
    NaEl1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hmmm interesting Thanks Ladies!!
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
  • LizGozza
    Options
    CLA is one of the only supplements out there that can AID you with your weight loss ALONG WITH with diet and exercise. Key here is, CLA assists in your diet and exercise plan, it is not a substitution.
    Basically, it helps to reduce a very small amount of fat over time, and helps to increase muscle mass, but again a small amount and over time.
    Again, none of that works without forming a diet plan and challenging exercise regime. You have to do all of the same work, it acts as a little extra push.
    It's not going to cancel out extra calories you consume, or make up for a missed workout.

From Wiki, the site links go to the actual studies so you can read more. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conjugated_linoleic_acid)

"The effect of CLA on fat mass is modest and at the recommended dosage of 3.2g/day produces a statistically significant 90 g fat loss per week (ca. 1 lb in 5 weeks) as shown by a 2007 meta-analysis.[30] Doses higher than the recommended 3.2g do not seem to have any additional effects on body fat reduction. Another meta-analysis found that CLA supplementation produces about 1% increase in lean body mass per week"
  • kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    yep, i take it.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Just eat a piece of steak.
  • Smrhoads
    Options
    I have read that use of this over time can cause insulin resistance.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I have read that use of this over time can cause insulin resistance.
    Please explain how?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    CLA is one of the only supplements out there that can AID you with your weight loss ALONG WITH with diet and exercise. Key here is, CLA assists in your diet and exercise plan, it is not a substitution.
    Basically, it helps to reduce a very small amount of fat over time, and helps to increase muscle mass, but again a small amount and over time.
    Again, none of that works without forming a diet plan and challenging exercise regime. You have to do all of the same work, it acts as a little extra push.
    It's not going to cancel out extra calories you consume, or make up for a missed workout.

From Wiki, the site links go to the actual studies so you can read more. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conjugated_linoleic_acid)

"The effect of CLA on fat mass is modest and at the recommended dosage of 3.2g/day produces a statistically significant 90 g fat loss per week (ca. 1 lb in 5 weeks) as shown by a 2007 meta-analysis.[30] Doses higher than the recommended 3.2g do not seem to have any additional effects on body fat reduction. Another meta-analysis found that CLA supplementation produces about 1% increase in lean body mass per week"

I'll raise you with these

Studies showing little or no effect of CLA supplementation

Beuker F, Haak H, Schwietz H. , editors. CLA and body styling. Symposium: Vitamine und Zusatzstoffe; Jena (Thhr.) 1999

Kreider RB, Ferreira MP, Greenwood M, Wilson M, Almada AL. Effects of conjugated linoleic acid supplementation during resistance training on body composition, bone density, strength, and selected hematological markers. J Strength Cond Res. 2002;16(3):325–34

Malpuech-Brugere C, Verboeket-van de Venne WP, Mensink RP, Arnal MA, Morio B, Brandolini M, Saebo A, Lassel TS, Chardigny JM, Sebedio JL, Beaufrere B. Effects of two conjugated linoleic Acid isomers on body fat mass in overweight humans. Obes Res. 2004;12(4):591–8

Medina EA, Horn WF, Keim NL, Havel PJ, Benito P, Kelley DS, Nelson GJ, Erickson KL. Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation in humans: effects on circulating leptin concentrations and appetite. Lipids. 2000;35(7):783–8.

Salas-Salvado J, Marquez-Sandoval F, Bullo M. Conjugated linoleic acid intake in humans: a systematic review focusing on its effect on body composition, glucose, and lipid metabolism. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2006;46(6):479–88.

Von Loeffelholz C. Influence of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) supplementation on body composition and strength in bodybuilders. Jena (Thnr) 1999

Wang YW, Jones PJ. Conjugated linoleic acid and obesity control: efficacy and mechanisms. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2004;28(8):941–55

Zambell KL, Keim NL, Van Loan MD, Gale B, Benito P, Kelley DS, Nelson GJ. Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation in humans: effects on body composition and energy expenditure. Lipids. 2000;35(7):777–82

And there's this one, which I don't totally buy into

Effect of Animal and Industrial Trans Fatty Acids on HDL and LDL Cholesterol Levels in Humans – A Quantitative Review. PLoS ONE 5(3): e9434. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0009434

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0009434
  • LizGozza
    Options
    she's talking about this:
    There are concerns that the use of CLA supplements by extremely overweight people may tend to cause or to aggravate insulin resistance, which may increase their risk of developing diabetes.[9] Commercially available supplements contain equal mixtures of two CLA isomers: the cis-9, trans-11 isomer (also known as rumenic acid, the predominant CLA isomer in milk and beef), as well as the trans-10, cis-12 (t10c12) isomer. All other isomers ratios found in the scientific literature are not commercially available. The trans-10, cis-12 isomer is linked to many adverse side effects

basically it depends on where they get one of the components from. Even then, there hasnt been actual record of it happening, its a theory of what could maybe happen.
  • LizGozza
    Options
    The nature of studies is typically to prove and or disprove your idea. On the flipside of that, everyone reacts differently according to their body's chemistry (like those who fall asleep when they drink caffeine)
    So no, it won't work for everyone, just as some of the studies show. but just as others show, it also can work.