Body After Baby

maggiebend
maggiebend Posts: 6
edited September 20 in Success Stories
Hi,

I am new to the fitnesspal system...and I'm already obsessed!! I recently had a little boy, who is now 6 months old!! When I became pregant I tried to stay as healthy as possible, starting off at 112 1bs and 5'1". After the first 3 months eating basically took over, all though I did stay right in the healthy weight gain range for my pregnancy.

After giving birth to Theo...I was not happy with what I saw. I knew that I would have a belly still but I felt like a deflated balloon and just awkward. After I was given the go ahead I immediately started working out, starting with the Wii Active I bought for myself before Theo was born and I went from 125 to 115 in about a month. After that I started some running and weight training a few times a week so I wouldn't overdue it, my body was still a bit out of whack. I found it easy to do all of this between a new baby and work, whether it was popping in a workout dvd or using the wii while the little one was sleeping or taking advantage of good weather and venturing outside with him...I think there's always time to stay in shape...or get back to what you were.

Now I workout out 5x a week...going for walks with the stroller to the post office, or to work - a mile away, walking our dog - still using the Wii Active. I have also been a great eater most of my life, so that part was easy. Normally it's meals like Turkey chili or chicken breast sandwhiches, lots of fruit/veggies, and staying hyrdated throughout the day. Now I am 108 lbs...and haven't felt better.

Replies

• kellys52
    kellys52 Posts: 3
    Hi Maggie!
    I still have the nasty baby bod too! I had Ty in Feb of 2009 and have NO EXCUSE to still have this tire around my waist! I tried a couple months ago to join a gym and start dieting but I had no time..now that I still have no time lol I really feel like I need to do this!! I am doing the slimfast diet, logging all my food on here and i just got a treadmill tonight! I have been walking outside since Sunday! I haven't weighed myself yet since i started so I hope I don't hinder myself! I wish you tons of luck and would love to keep motivating each other!!
  • Hi Kelly!

Awesome job on getting the treadmill....my sister also has a nice one and is struggling with getting that pre baby bod back. I told her just to put the treadmill in front of the t.v. so she can easily bust out some cardio while watching a certain fav. show of hers which is normally 1/2 hour +, you don't even realize you're working out!

There's also the fact that we have little ones to stay healthy for now, my son may not be able to walk yet, but picturing me chasing him around whether in my own home or at the park..I can't help but want to stay healthy so I can do as much as possible with him!

Good luck with your journey!!!!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    I had my daughter in November of 03 and I still do not have my body back (I only put on 20 pounds). I've done everything I can...but it'll take surgery to get my abs back-they split and I have lots of excess skin. I'm also very tiny (5 feet) and it looked like I had swallowed a watermelon when I was 9 months. Lol. Anyway, you're doing great! :flowerforyou:
  • Thank you,

Your situation sounds pretty severe, so whatever makes you feel happy and as beautiful as you should feel then that's great! It's hard being short and having any extra weight!!
  • mariena
    mariena Posts: 39 Member
    Wow! Great for you to be able to lose the weight so fast! After my daughter it took my body a full year to recover! I'm only 5' and my daughter's dad is 6'4" so I know what it's like to carry around a watermelon, too! My daughter was 8lbs! Which is basically ridiculous for someone my size and stature.

I agree with all the tips. I have my treadmill in front of the TV, it works wonders in taking away workout boredom! I did Slim-fast for a while to lose weight after I stopped breast feeding and it really works! It definitely helps you stop over-eating like a pregnant person and start eating as an individual person with smaller portions. You don't need that extra 500 calories anymore! Also, as a single mom, I LOVE workout DVD's! Jillian Michael's has an awesome kickboxing DVD, I have a great Pilates DVD, oh and Women's Health Mag has some super awesome DVD's too! My personal favorite is the "wedding day workout". They also have free workout plans online too that you can do at home. To lose the weight you MUST make some sacrifices. I know we all "don't have the time" but you have to make time, even if it means waking up at 4am to do a DVD in your living room, or missing an hour of your favorite TV shows at night to get in a good walk!

Good luck everyone!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Wow! Great for you to be able to lose the weight so fast! After my daughter it took my body a full year to recover! I'm only 5' and my daughter's dad is 6'4" so I know what it's like to carry around a watermelon, too! My daughter was 8lbs! Which is basically ridiculous for someone my size and stature.

My daughter was 7 pounds 8 ounces. If you had looked at me from the back you wouldn't have known I was pregnant...only if I turned to the side...I was like a Mack truck taking wide right turns, lol.
  • pavang82
    pavang82 Posts: 454 Member
    Great job maggiebend. It's been a decade now and I still have my pregnancy weight. Its so hard. My biggest problem is my midsection and tighs. How did you work on these? Thanks.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Pregnancy does a number on the body. With both babies it took me nearly a year to get my body back. I worked out hard, ate great but it took it's own time. My dr said that it was probably due to my hormones not letting my body lose weight. I was also eating too many calories and didn't really realize it. Although I ate very healthy, I was eating as if I was maintaining my weight rather than wanting to lose weight. I was a runner before kids and I was at 16% body fat. I am proud to say I've been back to running since last June and I am 2.6 lbs away from where I was and down to 20% body fat. My goal is to get to at least 16%. I have two gorgeous girls. After the 2nd pregnancy my abs never went back together. Every one's abs separate but I still have a 1/2 gap between them. I also developed an umbilical hernia and had to have surgery to have it repaired after the 2nd baby. I go to the gym 5-6 days a week and run 3 days a week. I also work full time. So it is doable. It's just that my workouts now are 45 minutes long instead of the 2 hrs they used to be before having kids. But it seems to be getting the job done! This site does help a ton for making me accountable for what I eat.

Congrats on your weight loss!! You look fantastic!
  • mariena
    mariena Posts: 39 Member
    I agree! It's totally doable! I'm a single mom and also work full time and go to school at nights, getting my masters. It's all about squeezing in those workouts! My workouts are 1 hour 6x a week instead of the 2hrs they used to be, but it's just enough to lose that weight! Congrats to everyone for their efforts!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    We know it's doable...I've done it...I'm back at my pre-pregnancy weight (I weigh 90 pounds)-in fact I only had to lose 3 pounds after I gave birth to get back to it...but I can't get rid of the loose skin and get my abs back togeather without medical help.
  • Pavang82,

Thank you!! I do lots and lots of deep lunges...usually front, reverse, and side lunges - 2-3 reps of 12 each. It's amazing the results you can see in even a week, it's nice to get a little extra lift in the bum ;) Stick with it...it's never to late to take back control of your body :)
  • lvfunandfit,

You sound like you're doing a FANTASTIC job with having two children and a full time job!!! It is a lot of hard work but if you want to look your best and feel great then it does take time and perseverance. I also love that by joining this site I have to hold myself accountable for everything that I eat! It keeps me focused and everyone's support is a big help as well! You also look fabulous!! Keep it up :)
  • lvfunandfit
    We know it's doable...I've done it...I'm back at my pre-pregnancy weight (I weigh 90 pounds)-in fact I only had to lose 3 pounds after I gave birth to get back to it...but I can't get rid of the loose skin and get my abs back togeather without medical help.

I have the same issue with my abs. There is a gap where they separate in the vertical direction. I can stick my fingers between them. It's gross, but not noticeable unless I'm doing ab exercises. I have the lose skin too... "grandma skin" but It's tightening up. I didn't have it after my first. All my problems came after my 2nd baby.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit,

You sound like you're doing a FANTASTIC job with having two children and a full time job!!! It is a lot of hard work but if you want to look your best and feel great then it does take time and perseverance. I also love that by joining this site I have to hold myself accountable for everything that I eat! It keeps me focused and everyone's support is a big help as well! You also look fabulous!! Keep it up :)

Yes.. it does take hard work and giving up things (like this Friday's girls afternoon out happy hour with co-workers) so you can get your workouts in. I only mention the happy hour because I'm being teased for choosing the gym over going to a bar, drinking and eating poorly. People into fitness understand. My gym time is limited due to my kiddos and work.
    I'm also a certified trainer and trying to get back into training people. I need to look the part and I have til June to get my body fat down to 16%.
    Thanks! I still have some work to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!