Natural vs Processed sugar?

happy_heather121
happy_heather121 Posts: 135 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi there,

I am doing a cleanse with just fruit and vegetables, and nuts all week and I can see that my sugar is going to be way high because of all the fruit.

I have read a few places not to worry about sugars in natural foods but to worry more about the sugars in processed or un natural foods.

Any thoughts on this?

A banana has half of my sugar for the day! Yikes!

Replies

• healthbug
    healthbug Posts: 21
    Too much sugar can lead to type 2 diabetes regardless of where it's coming from. While fructose is definitely better than high fructose corn syrup for example, we should all still be concerned about sugar intake.
  • kd_0115
    kd_0115 Posts: 10
    A similar question was posted on the fitsugar.com website. Here is the response:

First off, great question. With everything we read about carbs, refined sugars, glycemic index, etc, it is easy to get confused when it comes to fruit because most fruits are rich in sugar. Sugar from fruit is called fructose. It is a simple sugar that is metabolized quickly and easily by the body. Moderate fruit intake is certainly recommended as part of a healthy, well rounded diet. Simple sugars, like fructose, are not a problem for people who are active and healthy. The only caveat would be if you have been diagnosed with diabetes or prediabetes. In this case, some fruit intake is good, but excessive intake could lead to high blood sugar. OK, two caveats — fruit juice is often made from concentrate with added refined sugar, so excess fruit juice can be a bad thing.

A healthy dose of fruit in the diet is beneficial for a number of reasons. Most fruit offer a substantial amount of fiber which has been shown to decrease the risk of certain diseases such as heart disease and diabetes. Check out a previous Fitsugar post that gives the fiber content of various fruit. Fruit are also a good source of vitamins and minerals. I would recommend eating a serving of fruit with every meal and up to 3 servings per day in the form of a snack. An average healthy person would have to consume A LOT of fruit for it to get to the point of being unhealthy. A well rounded diet with plenty of fruit, vegetables and protein is the best bet for overall health. Good luck, go forth, and don’t fear the fruit sugar!
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Eating sugar does not cause diabetes, unless you eat so much that you get overweight. Type 2 diabetes develops if a) your pancreas doesn't make enough insulin, or b) if your body does not respond normally to insulin. Risk factors for Type 2 diabetes include your family history, your weight and your exercise habits. http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/type-2/
  • happy_heather121
    happy_heather121 Posts: 135 Member
    Wow. Thanks. This is really helpful!
This discussion has been closed.