In pain in Yoga class

Options
I have weak ankles. They're pretty small for my frame and I got tendonitis in both of them a few years ago. Obviously, I'm also overweight (obese, I guess. I hate that chart). ANYWAY I'm currently working very hard on turning around my fitness,and I'm working out every day now. Last Monday and tonight, I went to a yoga class.

During both classes, I essentially started weeping from the pain in my feet/ankles' tendons. I'm not even going to bother asking if this is normal, but has ANYONE gone through this? Is this just a sign that I'm not ready for this yet, or should I push through it? I've both overdone and given up too easily in the past, and I could use some guidance on "the middle way" on this one.

Thank you. (Namaste?)

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    dont push through take a break when you need it.

i have weak foot and arch tendons /muscles (i honestly dont know what the hell are in feet) so some of the poses are hard for me, especially the ones where you balance on one leg. what i do is hold the position as long as i can then take a break and stretch my feet out. it's gotten better over the past year
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I love yoga and it is not always easy. With that said, discomfort is okay but pain is not. My sense is that you should not do any poses that strain your ankles like this. Maybe even put off yoga entirely until you lose some more weight. If you end up having a major injury it will stall your weight loss plans and it sounds like it is imperative for you (I understand this because I have mild scoliosis and cannot hold extra weight either) so just do what doesn't hurt. Then once you can do yoga without pain pick it up again.
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could talk to the instructor about it? I mean, they're not doctors or anything, but maybe they might have some idea of how you can alter what you're doing so it doesn't hurt, or perhaps your form is slightly off and that's what causing the pain, which is something they could definitely help with. Yoga should NEVER hurt.
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Her advice was to back to child's pose. Which is fine and all, but doesn't really build strength.
  • Christygogo
    Christygogo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yoga is a fabulous muscle builder but it is something that (if you are in a proper studio) should be tailored to individual strength. Before grad school (and my weight gain) yoga was my thing. I was very fit and at a very high level. However, my instructor had to stop me several times because I am naturally very flexible and would try to push the poses beyond my strength. You should never have severe pain in yoga. You can be sore, your arms and legs can be shaking in any pose (it's a workout, right!?) but you should never be in pain. Please talk to your instructor. She can give you modified poses and should guide you in appropriate form. Yoga is a process. If they tell you to push through the pain, go somewhere else.
  • luvsyoga
    luvsyoga Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi, I would talk to the instructor, do what you can. I love child's pose :)) Hopefully you can do a little more each class. It's not a race.. If it doesn't work out, try a different instructor. I remember my first classes..... shakes, twitches, shock at how hard it could be! find something you love and don't give up. Even if it takes you longer to progress, just keep trying!!:smile::smile:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Her advice was to back to child's pose. Which is fine and all, but doesn't really build strength.

That was a bit of a cop out (but does extend one side of the feet/ankle). Do you remember which poses hurt? I would find another class and tell the instructor prior to the class about your ankles.
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Make sure your mat is a thin yoga mat. I used to have a thicker, cushioned mat, but my instrustor told me the thicker mat was bad for my wrists and ankles because you have more "wobble" room. With a thin mat, you don't have to worry about rolling or twisting a wrist or ankle.
  • PrincessKittenpants
    Options
    Child's pose is wonderful when you've reached your limit but it sounds as though the instructor may have misunderstood you. There are modified poses that you can do that are less strenuous. I would also recommend that you are taking a beginners class and not an all levels or advanced class.
  • ChristieisReady
    Options
    Make sure your mat is a thin yoga mat. I used to have a thicker, cushioned mat, but my instrustor told me the thicker mat was bad for my wrists and ankles because you have more "wobble" room. With a thin mat, you don't have to worry about rolling or twisting a wrist or ankle.

Ok, I will definitely try that! I kind of piled two of my gym's thin foam mats, so maybe the wobbling was what was killing my feet.
  • ChristieisReady
    Options
    Child's pose is wonderful when you've reached your limit but it sounds as though the instructor may have misunderstood you. There are modified poses that you can do that are less strenuous. I would also recommend that you are taking a beginners class and not an all levels or advanced class.

Sadly, it's definitely not an advanced class. And there were only 3 of us in it last night. Also, I seem to have managed to bruise my foot from the inside.