should i eat breakfast before my morning run?

Options
Hello,
I want to start running in the mornings but i am unsure whether it is best to eat some breakfast first? If so what should i eat?

Thanks!!!!

Replies

• nina1968
    nina1968 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I always have something to eat before my workout in the morning., I will have a low fat whole wheat waffel with a cup of coffee. If i don;t i will feel sick. I am just the type of person that can't workout on an empty stomach. Plus i burn up my breakfast calories.hope this helped you. Best of luck.
  • defcon4
    defcon4 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi anthea1989, IMO I suggest that if you do eat wait 2 to 3 hours before running. If you are running to lose weight you should wake up brush your teeth and go run no longer than 50 minutes. You are still fasting at this time, if you don't eat in the morning and run not to long after you wake up your burning fat not your food. If you’re interesting in just running to work out and not cardio eat your breakfast 2 to 3 before run: 1/2 cup of dried old fashion oatmeal with 1 cup of fruit, 6 egg whites, with some type of veggies. 1 cup of veggies would be fine and drink water at least 8 ounces. Wait your 2 to 3 hours and go and run. A good rule to go by for working out is don't work out more than 1 hour due to your body going into a catabolic state meaning your body is going to eat your muscles for fuel.
    I hope this helped you out.
    DEFCON4
  • munchy
    munchy Posts: 10
    Options
    I recently hired a personal trainer and he said I needed to eat breakfast within 30 minutes of waking up to give my body fuel after being asleep for 8 hours.

According to him, cardio is good for burning up calories, but the main goal is to strengthen your muscles and heart. Eating breakfast before running will give you the energy to make the most out of your work out. And building lean muscles is what will help us maintain our weight loss permanently.

When you skip breakfast, it can increase your body's insulin response, which will fat storage.

I didn't use to eat breakfast in the morning and had to sort of force myself to eat it. Now, after about a month of consistent exercise and eating right, I'm hungry in the morning.

If you don't normally eat breakfast, start with a banana and some nuts, and once your body gets used to being fueled in the morning work your way up to egg whites and whole wheat toast with a piece of fruit.

I hope this helps. :)
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Eat something light. Before my last run, I had peanut butter toast and drank about a bottle of water slowly. Then I stretched really good and did a 15 minute warm up walk first. I had no problems with weakness because my body was nourished and hydrated before. Also, you want to walk for about 5 minutes at the end to cool down, stretch really good, and have some protein after. I ate about an ounce of grilled chicken when I got back.
    My first run wasn't very successful and I felt wiped out for about 2 hours after because I did it on an empty stomach and wasn't hydrated enough. My second run was amazing because I took care of myself. I wasn't sore and I had a lot of energy for the rest of the day.
    I'm doing the C25K program which you can google. It starts you out slowly and gradually increases your stamina until you're running for 20-30 minutes at a time.
  • anthea1989
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. Yes, i am running to lose weight, although running on an empty stomach does make sense to burn the most fat i think this will cause me to burn out quicker so perhaps some fruit and plenty of water before my run?
  • munchy
    munchy Posts: 10
    Options
    Fruit and water sounds good. Just drink too much water and end up cramping up during your run.