Protein

Options
Hello all......

I wondered if anyone can give some info on protein shakes? I was thinking about including those in my diet, but I really have no info about them but I know alot of people drink them when they are trying to lose weight. :glasses:

Replies

• McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I use the Meijer brand Whey Protein in chocolate - I don't think it tastes too bad. I mix that with a cup of skim milk - 200 calories.
  • safiresp04
    Options
    Protein shakes are an excellent supplement to your diet & training, and sometimes can work as a meal replacement - if you add enough nutrients. I have had good results with All the Whey in chocolate peanut butter (only sold on NutraPlanet's website) and with Optimum Nutrition. They're great mixed with water, cow milk or soy milk. I've also added bananas, peanut butter, berries, yogurt, flaxseed oil, etc. to make it more of a meal.

If you're working with a personal trainer, or go to a gym with trainers you can ask for advice, they should be able to give you recommendations as to how much protein you should be getting each day based on your workout schedule and weight. MFP underestimates how much people need when training. A good rule is 1g of protein for each # of body weight each day when you're on a more intense schedule. I would recommend aiming for at least 1/2 your body weight in g of protein if you workout regularly.
  • jwcrater31
    Options
    i use one called body fortress super advanced whey protein. Has a muscle recovery blend in it as well. Lots of vitamins too. 120 mixed with water, or 120 plus whatever milk you use. Take it right after your workout. This can be found at wal-mart in 3-4 flavors.
  • tinabosquez
    tinabosquez Posts: 107
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone, I am definately going to look into some different shakes now. :flowerforyou:
  • byHisgrace
    byHisgrace Posts: 175
    Options
    I love the GNC vanilla bean lean shake. I also add some of the powder to fruit and yogurt in the blender, then freeze them in popcicle molds, YUMMY!
  • LaTerri
    LaTerri Posts: 42
    Options
    I drink Jay Robb's Egg White protein powder. It is not that bad with just water and ice = 120 calories for 24 protein.

I am eating 5 times a day, about 25g a meal, so this really helps me get it in.