Muesli

Options
I bought muesli yesterday (gluten free). When i had it for breakfast i first tried it cold and i didn't enjoy it, then i warmed it up to see if it would make a difference.
It was still horrible !!
Now, i love love love oats and porridge so I thought muesli would taste kind of the same but with fruit rolled into it.
I get the feeling that muesli needs to be cooked a certain way or put with something as I find it tastes like uncooked oats/porridge.

Orrr

Is that just the way it's supposed to taste?

Replies

• eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Try muesli with cold milk
    Mix it with yogurt
    Make cookies or bars with your muesli
    Come on its not so bad.
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I don't cook museli. Just straight out of the bag into a bowl and either some milk or yogurt on top.

I like it, but to each their own :)
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I think it's just supposed to taste like that. I mean, it's mostly uncooked oats, so it's going to taste like uncooked oats. Personally, I love it, but I'm Danish, and we usually eat our oats raw with cold milk.
    If you can't get used to the taste but don't want to waste the entire bag, you can make some oatmeal with regular rolled oats and mix in some muesli just before it's done. I often do that with oatmeal, because I'm not a big fan of the regular texture.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of bircher muesli? Grate an apple, squeeze an orange and mix it all in with some yoghurt and muesli. Leave it in the fridge overnight, give it a stir in the morning and see if that tastes any better for you.
  • vzryder
    vzryder Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    LOVE my muesli, was it toasted or natural?
  • clew77
    clew77 Posts: 34
    Options
    I love porridge and oats so i thought it would taste the same just nicer as its got the added fruit.
    Just about to google a recipe to make something out of it instead.
    Thank you for the replies :)

Also i'm not to sure, it was a gluten free wholefoods one from Holland and Barrett :)
  • FitinHonau
    FitinHonau Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of bircher muesli? Grate an apple, squeeze an orange and mix it all in with some yoghurt and muesli. Leave it in the fridge overnight, give it a stir in the morning and see if that tastes any better for you.

Bircher Muesli is a Swiss food! You mix it with some yoghurt and milk, leave it overnight in the fridge and in the morning, you can add fresh berries, grated apple (or cut in small slices), or some slices of banana or any other fruit of your choice. I am sure you can find some recipe online how to make a Bircher Muesli.

In the market you can find different kind of Muesli. I buy the one with no added sugar, fruit and raisins.