Running

Options
I have decided that I would like to give running a try in the new year. It will be a very slow start - I am asthmatic and have a history of ligament and cartilage problems in my knees. But I am reading the "Running Made Easy" book from Zest magazine and they have a very simple beginner's programme and that looks like it might work.

The one question I have though is about rest days. I understand that it is bad to run every day as your body needs time in between to repair muscles etc, but does that mean that you can't do any exercise on your rest days? I swim and cycle regularly at the moment for exercise (as well as walking and yoga) and I don't really want to give that up.

Bearing in mind that the running programme starts off very gently as run/walk intervals, would I still be able to swim or cycle on rest days? I assume that the walking and yoga wouldn't be strenuous enough to matter?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Replies

• kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    C25k 'simples'

LOL. Ok, well maybe not that simple, but it's the best method of getting from no running to running. It's how I started, and how I intend to start again. There are plenty of apps out there if you have a smart phone, or podcasts to download to coach you through what you need to do week by week, not to mention websites galore.

It's a starting point, no doubt folks on here will have other suggestions for you x
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    No problem at all in cross-training on your rest days; anything low-impact should be absolutely fine.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    no reason not to swim or cycle in between. but do try to take one proper rest day a week.
  • milk_bottle
    milk_bottle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You're fine to do swimming and yoga on rest days! If you're already pretty fit it shouldn't be a worry and it will probably help strengthen your knee as it gets used to running more, maybe the cycling as well may be a bit much, but use your head, you know your body better than anyone on here. Swimming and Yoga are normally the 'recommended' rest day activities. Hope that helps!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Definitely cross train on non-running days. In addition to activities like swimming & cycling you should also incorporate strength training into your regimen (specifically hips, glutes & core) to address muscular imbalances and improve injury resistance.

Check out some of the ideas over at Runner's World..... http://www.runnersworld.com/training/workouts

Don't rush your progress & have fun!
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies!

I had a look at the NHS C25k, but the Zest one seems to be a bit less intense than even that. I really want to take it steady with my knees.

Really glad to hear that low impact stuff will be OK on rest days. And I'll have a look at that article, thanks Brian.