Just realized I gained back every pound I lost...

Options
2»

Replies

• bakersduzin
    bakersduzin Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! Back in April I had been down to 147lbs for my wedding (I'm 5'10"), and I felt GREAT. I was down 1-2 pant sizes, and I was finally confident about how I looked. I knew that I gained since then (obviously, since I could tell my clothes were fitting differently), but I didn't realize how much. I just got on the scale again a couple weeks ago and couldn't believe I was back up to 170lbs. I was so mad at myself...how could I let myself gain that much?? Needless to say I'm back working out 5-6 days a week and making myself MUCH more accountable about what I eat...that has always been my weakness. Every day is a step in the right direction!!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I so feel you. I had lost 25 pounds and then recently realized I'd gained them all back, plus 5 more! You'll get a lot of support here - welcome!
  • ceceoplaymate
    ceceoplaymate Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    YEP it hurts like a b*tch! But the best thing is starting again and this app/website brings in encouragement and support. You will get where you need to be
  • mfp116
    mfp116 Posts: 108
    Options
    aw thats awful i know how that feels and im sure we have ALL been there but atleast your taking the move to decide to try sort it out now! im sure you will do brilliantly dont be too hard on yourself! things like this happen you will be fine:) good luck with your journey!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I'm back to tracking. I had great success on the old weight watchers, for whatever reason I couldn't make the new program work. I did all right on my own for a few years and kept my weight around 140. I honestly don't know where it all went wrong, but I allowed myself to pack on 20 pounds. I hope this works.

If you rely 100% on counting calories and don't change the types of foods that you eat or start exercising regularly, then the weight will often come back because eventually the motivation to log every single thing you put into your mouth will wane.

This time it looks like you're on the right track. Don't just count calories. Focus on making SUSTAINABLE changes. Start exercising regularly in a sustainable manner, and start changing the types of foods you that you eat. Focus on eating real food, like fruits, veggies, lean meat, nuts, eggs, whole fat dairy (controversial), etc. Reduce processed foods, especially nutrient poor processed carbs. Don't get obsessed with losing weight quickly. Just make the changes and slowly watch the weight come off.
  • PhoenixJR
    PhoenixJR Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thats what I do eat. I stay away from processed foods. This was actually one of the reasons I left WW. They started giving free points for fruit, despite the caloric content. I just like to eat...a lot.

I eat a lot of protein because I lift weights. I try to stay away from "box food". I dont eat fast food. I don't eat low fat foods because the fat is often replaced with sugar. I rarely drink soda. Just eating "whole foods" is not working. My weight is just creeping up. I will be in plus size clothing in a matter of months if I keep this up. I don't know what else to do other than watch the quantities of food I am eating.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You have done it once and you certainly can do it again. I went to weightwatchers a couple of years ago and lost 8lbs over a few months. I used the old red/green days.

I really find the whole MFP thing so much easier, nothing is off limits, just log it in your diary and away you go.

I found what helped me for the first few months of MFP was logging my diary in the morning, planning the day ahead. Just following it and then adding snacks based on my exercise cals.

I have not logged my food/exercise for a couple of months and am still at the same weight, so it really is do-able (if that`s a word)

I think you learn so much more from logging your food and seeing what each food contains.

Good luck x
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    The main thing is that you are doing something positive about it now! Good for you. We have all been there. If you bite it, write it, if you snack it, track it, if you nibble it, scribble it, if you drink it, ink it, always grab your pencil before your utensil and record everything! Good luck on your new journey
  • Jbearbarnes
    Jbearbarnes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am a 2nd year college student & the consensus here is that diligence is the only way to avoid gaining weight with all the stress!! Good luck!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Thats what I do eat. I stay away from processed foods. This was actually one of the reasons I left WW. They started giving free points for fruit, despite the caloric content. I just like to eat...a lot.

I eat a lot of protein because I lift weights. I try to stay away from "box food". I dont eat fast food. I don't eat low fat foods because the fat is often replaced with sugar. I rarely drink soda. Just eating "whole foods" is not working. My weight is just creeping up. I will be in plus size clothing in a matter of months if I keep this up. I don't know what else to do other than watch the quantities of food I am eating.

And it is still possible to gain weight while eating healthy foods, it's just not as quick as when you're eating McDonalds and potatoe chips. But if you're used to eating real foods then losing the weight again won't be that hard. Just start logging your calories and macro's again while exercising like you're doing. The weight will come back off! Obviously it might not start coming off right away due to TG, Xmas, New Years, etc., but eventually it will.

In regard to why you fell off the wagon, did you just stop bothering to log food? It happens to everyone. In the future, some ways to maintain your weight loss more easily are:
    1. Weigh yourself every single day!!!!! That prevents you from being in denial about regaining weight. If you notice you've gained a few pounds, start trying to lose them again sooner rather than later.
    2. When you're able to fit into clothes a size smaller, immediately throw away all your larger sized clothes.
    3. Review your food journal to identify why and how you go over your goal on calories and make plans to prevent it. For example, if you tend to snack at night, then instead of trying to constantly fight that battle, simply cut out calories earlier in the day and save up calories for night time. If you tend to snack while watching TV (big surprise since it's constantly shoving pictures of food in your face) start reading more or watching movies instead.
  • njgirl50
    njgirl50 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    4 years ago I lost 99 pounds and over the next 3 years gained 79 of it back, so I know how you feel. I have since lost 30, but still have a long way to go. It's hard but you need to look forward and work on getting it off again, I understand about weight watchers, that is how I lost the 99, but when I went back, several times, just could not get back into the old groove. I love this website & feel this is just as good, plus its free. I have a group of friends and they are way more supportive than my old WW ones. If you are looking for friends, feel free to add me
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I regained 17 of 67 I had lost. It took me two years to regain so it was a slow, insidious process that caught me by surprise when I realized what had happened. I had seen so many people lose large amounts of weight only to gain it all back. Well that wasn't going to be me! My Fitness Pal has been a huge help. As others have said, you have to log EVERY BITE. You are only cheating/kidding yourself if you don't. The only way to figure out what to do right is to see what you've been doing wrong and correct it. And, you can't look at it as "I need to lose X amount of weight then I'm done". This is a life change. If you don't see it that way you're regain every ounce. I've lost 16 of the 17 I regained in about 2 months. I want to lose a few beyond that as a buffer. I will then do everything in my power to NOT do the things that allowed me to have that weight creep back on. It's not just about appearance, though that is a nice side effect. It's about your health and well being.

So, pick yourself up and dust yourself off. These things can happen. Look forward, not back!