Is carb count really that important?

Options
So i have increased my calorie intake to 1600, and my carbs is set to 160.

I am finding it incredibly frustrating to finding foods to increase my calories but stay under my carbs. Is it that bad if I go over?

Replies

• _lizzie_
    _lizzie_ Posts: 130
    Options
    Staying under 100 works for me. Not everyone will agree, you'll probably get a million different answers on whether its "bad" or not. Find out what works for you. If you want to stay under in carbs, but need more cals, add fat. Avocado, olive oil, cheese, et cetra. Watch the dairy though, its not carb free, just low usually.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Personally I try and keep my carbs between 120 and 150.....if I need extra cals I eat fats.nuts, nutbutters, olives, olive oil, coconut milk, coconut cream, avocado, salmon etc.

I agree with Lizzie - find what works for you....
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I personally think if its "good carbs" not refined sugars and processed food then your fine as long as your eating at a calorie deficit

I stay away from bread (keeps me bloated), all white food and sugar and i find my carbs stay well under 70g
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

I am finding it incredibly frustrating to finding foods to increase my calories but stay under my carbs. Is it that bad if I go over?

Its a completely personal thing. For me carbs don't appear to make any difference to my weight loss whereas for others it can (thats why you will get a million different answers). Personally I would say getting the calories on target is more important than the carbs. :smile:
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    get more calories from fat and protein ... def eat 1g of protein per pound lbm , very important imo

ps: aslong as u stay in your calorie goals anything should be fine . if the high carbs hinder your progress drop them a bit
  • Love_flowers
    Love_flowers Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    The way you ask your questions leads me to believe that you don't want it to be important,
    and that's fine too, because the most important thing is just a calorie deficit for weightloss. You don't have to stress yourself with the specifics if you don't want to, you will still lose weight. :)
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

You want to consume as many carbs as you can.
  • hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I usually eat close to 300 a day, hasn't bothered me! I am a runner though.
  • cldommer
    Options
    It really depends on your body type, but in general neither carbs nor fat on their own and in appropriate amounts will make you fat. However, when you eat them together, that's when they can hinder weight loss. The reason is because fats in food turn into body fat, but the energy for that conversion comes from carbs. Without carbs you can't turn fat into fat; without fat, you don't have anything to change into body fat. One of my favorite eating plans is the Harcombe Diet. You can eat carbs and fats in normal healthy amounts (just eat healthy, don't bother counting) just not at the same time. Eat a carb meal that is low in fat, eat a fat meal that is low in carbs. If you don't over eat and you don't mix your fats and carbs your weight loss should be a little bit easier. Once you reach your goal weight you can mix them again as long as your eating healthy and not over eating. The only time this has never worked for me is at a time when I was trying to lose more weight than was healthy for my body. Just keep in mind, this is only for natural, real food (unrefined), so eating a sugar filled, but fat free treat can still make you gain weight.

I think this is better for weight loss because you need both carbs and fats in your diet, limiting them to the extreem will result in weight loss, but it is bad for your health overall. Think of it this way, your body is like a construction site, carbs are the energy the workers (your cells) use to build the structure. Fats, proteins and other nutrients are the materials from which the structure is built. You have to have the energized workforce and the materials or nothing gets done. So, eat them both, just not at the same time, you should wait about four hours between carbs and fats.
  • fitambitious
    fitambitious Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    From your question, it seems like you want to have more carbs. And that's fine. You wouldn't have trouble losing weight as long as you're on a calorie deficit. May be you should increase your carbs by 5-10%?
  • SweetCheekszx0
    SweetCheekszx0 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    My friend diets str8 up low carbs no calorie counting or anything.. I don't understand the madness I don't count my carbs or keep track of them and I'm just fine ❤????
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your body type, but in general neither carbs nor fat on their own and in appropriate amounts will make you fat. However, when you eat them together, that's when they can hinder weight loss. The reason is because fats in food turn into body fat, but the energy for that conversion comes from carbs. Without carbs you can't turn fat into fat; without fat, you don't have anything to change into body fat. One of my favorite eating plans is the Harcombe Diet. You can eat carbs and fats in normal healthy amounts (just eat healthy, don't bother counting) just not at the same time. Eat a carb meal that is low in fat, eat a fat meal that is low in carbs. If you don't over eat and you don't mix your fats and carbs your weight loss should be a little bit easier. Once you reach your goal weight you can mix them again as long as your eating healthy and not over eating. The only time this has never worked for me is at a time when I was trying to lose more weight than was healthy for my body. Just keep in mind, this is only for natural, real food (unrefined), so eating a sugar filled, but fat free treat can still make you gain weight.

I think this is better for weight loss because you need both carbs and fats in your diet, limiting them to the extreem will result in weight loss, but it is bad for your health overall. Think of it this way, your body is like a construction site, carbs are the energy the workers (your cells) use to build the structure. Fats, proteins and other nutrients are the materials from which the structure is built. You have to have the energized workforce and the materials or nothing gets done. So, eat them both, just not at the same time, you should wait about four hours between carbs and fats.
    I don't even know where to begin.

*sigh*