Smith Machine squat weights

Options
Our gym only has Smith machine squat racks. The label on it says "Starting resistance 20lb". Silly question maybe, but do I add that 20lb on to what I'm already squatting, when I log it?

Thanks for the help :)

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Our gym only has Smith machine squat racks. The label on it says "Starting resistance 20lb". Silly question maybe, but do I add that 20lb on to what I'm already squatting, when I log it?

Thanks for the help :)

I believe so. The "starting resistance" is the weight of the empty bar....you DO lift the weight of the bar, so why not count it?
  • Marks281172
    Marks281172 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Youve probably heard this already but i wouldnt recommend squatting in a smith. It doesnt allow you to take the natural path up and down that you should so is dangerous and people have a habit of leaning back into it which is also dangerous and a bit of a cheat so when you eventually do manage to find somewhere to squat properly you may get a shock when all of a sudden 100lbs feels like 200lbs.

If swapping gyms isnt an option how about dumbell squats?

I know you didnt come here for a lecture about Smith machine but as an ex powerlifter they are a pet hate of mine :)
  • JSheehy1965
    Options
    Youve probably heard this already but i wouldnt recommend squatting in a smith. It doesnt allow you to take the natural path up and down that you should so is dangerous and people have a habit of leaning back into it which is also dangerous but is a bit of a cheat so when you eventually do manage to find somewhere to squat properly you may get a shock when all of a sudden 100lbs feels like 200lbs.

I know you didnt come here for a lecture about Smith machine but as an ex powerlifter they are a pet hate of mine :)

No, I really do appreciate your reply. I'm trying not to lean back into the bar. I went up to 25lb per dumbbell squats, but my elbows started hurting from it.. Which is why I went on to the Smith machine. Thanks for your advice - I didn't take it as a lecture. All advice is truly welcome :D
  • kirstyg1980
    Options
    Youve probably heard this already but i wouldnt recommend squatting in a smith. It doesnt allow you to take the natural path up and down that you should so is dangerous and people have a habit of leaning back into it which is also dangerous and a bit of a cheat so when you eventually do manage to find somewhere to squat properly you may get a shock when all of a sudden 100lbs feels like 200lbs.

I'm so with this^^^^^^

I tried using the smith machine when our weight room was out of action and OMG it was so so so awkward to do a squat in