My knees are hurting --- HELP

Options
I need your thoughts and help! I have been doing the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I haven't done it evey day but I have done it 12 or 13 times in 20 days and for me that a pretty good record. I am a big girl and my biggest concern doing this kind of workout is that I would hurt myself. My knees hurt, they have hurt some this whole time but last night was awful and this morning was better but I was still concerned enought not to workout. What should I do? I want to push pass the pain but I don't want to push myself so much that I mess up my knees so bad I can't work out anymore. Has anyone dealt with this?

I really want to finish this challege... and move on to more. I am just concerned... I also don't want to use this as a "reason" to quit. I am at that point where I have gone further than I ever have before and my mental process is really messing with me. A part of me wants to quit. I have already stopped logging my food and I have notices the results (not good ones). I am stessing out alittle to be honest. I don't want to hurt myself this is true, but I don't want to quit either - I think that scares me more!

SOOOO I am reaching out! Some one please speak truth to me!

Replies

• spicerv1
    spicerv1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The first thing you need to do is take a deep breath and breathe...the second thing you need to do is find another activity that is low-impact and takes the stress off of your knees. I, too, am a BIG girl with knee issues and instead of just stopping, I find something else to do that will be just as beneficial. For instance, I walk instead of run some days. I, bike when walking aggrevates my knees. I am not a swimmer but that too could be an option. Never give up just revamp because you are worth it.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    My ex-wife had knee pain when she did Insanity, so we bought her a floor pad. It seems to help.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Also, try drinking protein shakes...it helped with my pains...
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Please, please, please don't take chances with your knees! Back when I was running I would "push past the pain". It left me with permanent damage. It look almost 2 years of rest and little exercise before I was able to start working my knees again. I will never be able to run more than about 50 yards without pain and I have to be very careful with any lateral movements.

Find a different workout. When I was heavier I really enjoyed Rebounding.
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    Take a deep breath and re-evaluate. I have knee problems as well. I try to tighten up my thighs and butt while doing workouts, ESPECIALLY squats...push your butt back and do NOT push your knees past your toes.

But, if that still doesnt work, try getting some knee braces and look at something else to give them a break but, still get your workout in. Walking is a great one and something I used to do quite a bit.

Also, try to get back into logging your food so that if there are days you cant get your workout in, you are still able to watch your food. Logging is SO HARD for me on the weekends!
  • brandipoo
    brandipoo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I think finding out the source of the pain would help. I had some patellar tendinitis and almost stopped running, but a $6 knee strap saved me! Maybe something lower impact until you figure it out? Just don't stop moving!
  • evereadysmile
    Options
    It's a rough workout for everyone's knees. I switched out the "jumping rope" and jumping jacks with just jogging in place (although doing the same arm movements the exercise required) and at the end I do a full minute of punches instead of the last jumping exercise. You might consider switch punches in for half the other exercises? Keep your heart rate up but stress those knees less.
  • ajh1014
    ajh1014 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    A couple of years ago I ended up in PT for killing my knees on a treadmill. They put me on a stationary recumbent bike to warm up and I fell in LOVE! Went out and bought one. Swimming is also great if you have access to a community pool. I use our school pool.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    You can hurt your knees, permanently. So go slow. Usually the problem is that you start to exercise without allowing for the proper muscle growth, your knees are too weak, strain, and injury results.

The first thing I would do would be to consult a physio therapist so that you can deal with your problem before it gets worse. Visit a sports medicine clinic. They will give you a set of exercises that will target your particular problem. Ice your knees.

Over the longer term, modify your exercise routine. What exercises hurt your knees the most? Avoid those. Or modify them. Or do them for fewer repetitions. Or do the motions more slowly so that you have more control. Give your knees a chance to build up strength.

A bicycle is great to strengthen your knees, so get an exercycle and use it.

I have problems with my knees, in that they can fall out of joint. When they start to hurt when I exercise, I use knee braces to keep the knee cap in place. This might be a short term solution. Orthopedic inserts in your shoes might also be helpful if an assessment shows that you need them.

Good shoes and cushioning for impact is also important.

If you are a big girl, try aquafit. The buoyancy of the water really supports you, helping you to avoid injury, while you do a full range of motions that would kill you out of the water. The water resistance helps you to build up muscle, and it might be a good prep for out-of-water exercise once you have built yourself up.
  • monastempletransformed
    Options
    THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!! You asked the question that I was thinking and not saying didn't want to let the pain stop me want to say Thanks to everyone :wink:
  • 4Phoenix
    4Phoenix Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Truth....Start logging in your food every day, back off on the cardio so you don't damage your knees (as you loose weight and gain strength, you will be able to return to your JM). This does not mean to not workout....find another route- maybe a yoga tape or swimming so you won't strain your knees but keep moving and active.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Take care of your knees! Reduce your impact until your knees feel better and then try adding it back one day per week for a few weeks. If the knees still feel good, add another day for a few weeks. As your conditioning improves and your weight goes down, your knees will get happier. Your joints and tendons have to adapt to new activities just like the rest of you, so be careful and be patient!
  • JuliesZenpuppy7400
    JuliesZenpuppy7400 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    For me I started out at 420 pounds with knee pain and the ONLY thing I could do was water aerobics. It was awesome!! There was stuff I could do in the water that I would never be able to do on land due to my size. It took the pressure off my knees while I was losing weight. I personally used my local community center so that it wasn't to costly.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    You probably need lower impact exercise for now. But in case you want to continue, here is what works for me.

Here are the basics of joint care:
    - Strength such as squats, lunges and leg lifts. (If you have pain, wait until you are pain free)
    - Stretching and warm ups are a must.
    - For some it is hydration. Make sure you drink your water.
    - Electrolytes. Most of us get plenty of sodium, but potassium is part of the muscular process. Bananas are top of the list, but there are others. You can Google "foods with potassium."
    - Cartilage issues. As people age, the soft tissue gets less supple. I use Chondroitin/Glucosamine. I understand that it only works for about 30% of those the use it. Fish oil is also on the joint care list.
    - Something that also helps me is a chiropractic technique called ART Active Release Technique. You can find a local practitioner by Googling "Active Release Technique".

I will add that I also had surgery. I doubt that it could have been avoided. It was a meniscal tear.

AND LOG YOU FOOD! Good luck.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    Trying a different workout does NOT make you a quitter. You need to take care of yourself. If your current workout plan isn't working for you.....switch it up. I also had issues with 30DS and decided to trade it in for Slim in 6. I LOVE it!

PS: Start logging your food again girl!
  • canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Jillian makes my knees hurt too! ; (
  • Apellet1
    Apellet1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the other posters. Don't quit, simply modify. I haven't tried the 30DS yet, but I know it has a lot of high-impact activities. Try swimming or any type of water aerobics, or invest in a Treadclimber or other machine that is specifically designed to be easier on your joints. There are a lot of workarounds, you just have to find what's going to work best for you. Good luck!
  • maytubbs
    maytubbs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am in agreement as well! First get a professional opinion as to what may or may not be going on with your knees! This will also give you peace of mind! Also go back to logging your food.. even if you do happen to over indulge! It keeps you aware and will keep you better on track. I have had 3 knee surgeries.. so for me some of the Challenges.. I will not do.. Pick and chose what you are physically capable of doing at this point. When we were given squats for our team challenge I did not go down all the way.. I went into the squat position until I felt my thighs working but not putting the stress and pain on my knees. There are so many other ways to get in the cardio and work out without injuring yourself.
    Stay encouraged! And remember .. we ALL have fallen down or off the wagon but the important thing is .. To get back up! Its a life changing challenge not just a 9 weeks challenge.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    - check your form on things. i've noticed in many exercise video when they do squats they are really only doing half squats, the kind that are hard on your knees. it may seem counter intuitive, but the way to protect your knees in a squats is to go at least parallel to the ground or even post parallel. often times those video are doing the repetitions to fast to perform the squat correctly, so it's worth it to go slower and do 5 squats correctly in a way that won't hurt your knees than doing 20 crappy squats quickly that will end up hurting you

- look into taking glucosamine and msm supplements
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    When I read this I thought "Here's yet another someone doing 30 day shred that's got knee pain."
    Opened it, and was right.

Talk to a doctor. Discontinue exercises that overly stress the knees, especially high impact ones.