Question for the Runners

Options
I have been to see my doctor and am in the process of having everything examined but in the meantime I'm just curious to hear if anyone else has had a similar problem. It's always nice to know one isn't alone!

For the most part I am perfectly healthy. I have undergone every kind of exam you can imagine and have been told that I have good health.

However, I have a wee bit of a phenomenon going on that's kind of confusing me.

I've just restarted the C25K program after a long hiatus. My last two runs I've noticed that I feel fine WHILE I'm running but for the entire day after the run I feel shaky and light headed. It is a sensation linked to the running because days I don't run I feel perfectly fine.

I eat immediately after my run and drink lots of water throughout the day so I don't think it can be hunger or dehydration.

I just think it's strange because as I said I feel fine while I'm running and don't feel like I'm pushing too hard.

So! Any other runners experiencing this? Or have experienced this?

Any advice? I don't see my doc again for two months so anything I can try in the meantime to alleviate things would be great. I don't want to stop running again!

Replies

• lynnie30
    lynnie30 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Are you adjusting how many calories you take in when you run? I know that when I lose weight I feel weak and light headed and sometimes even a little nauseaus. I read somewhere that is what breaks people's diets- that uncomfortable feeling. Maybe it's just your body adjusting?
  • alekia
    alekia Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been a runner for over 4 years. I just started MFP a month ago. I came to the realization that I was not getting enough calories for all the exercise I do. I have done Weight Watchers for years to maintain my weight. Since starting MFP I feel SO much better. I have way more energy to get me through the days. Anyway, so maybe you are not eating enough??? OR, maybe low Iron. Not sure. I hope you get an answer soon. I did often feel light headed before I upped my calories.
  • x98peterson
    x98peterson Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Most of the calories needed to run need to come "before" the run. Calories even consumed during marathon's need an hour or two to digest and be "fuel" for the body. Try upping your carbs 2 hours before workouts and see if that helps! :)
  • OddSquid
    OddSquid Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Most of the calories needed to run need to come "before" the run. Calories even consumed during marathon's need an hour or two to digest and be "fuel" for the body. Try upping your carbs 2 hours before workouts and see if that helps! :)

+1

My first thought when reading the original post was "not eating enough." Your body has already broken down what it can for fuel during and after the run, and a day later, if you haven't adjusted your intake to compensate, you're not refueling enough to get by. Your storage tanks have been emptied!
  • TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I agree with x98peterson. I'm a new runner but have noticed that since I have raised my distance, that I seem to eat more. Last night I tried eating Clif Bar Shot Blok to boost my carbs before the run and ran 2 miles without walking with an average pace per mile being around 10.30. I ended up doing 4.1 all together with some walking at a pace of 11.11 mile average.

I'm still eating under my calorie intake for the day and the weight is not coming off as fast, but I do feel better after the run and my legs don't seem to hurt as much since eating most all of my calories.
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    Options
    Ah, that creates more problems because I run first thing in the morning and take medication when I wake up that prevents me from eating before I run (unless I wake up at 5am to take the meds, then eat at 6, then run at 7 but honestly I'm not THAT motivated HAHA).

Would eating the night before be sufficient fuel do you think? And would it really make me feel weak the rest of the day if it were too few calories? That's interesting!

Maybe I should just switch my run to the evening. Haha. All right! Thanks guys! I've decided to try running in the evening. That way I can eat before hand without messing with my meds.

Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes. ;)
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Could it be the meds?
  • sniffles
    Options
    I take meds for hypothyroidism. As far as I know it's not a medication that has side effects?
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Check your sodium and iron intake. After that, check your sodium and iron levels (bloodwork)...

And, are you eating enough carbs and fats?
  • sniffles
    Options
    I have had bloodwork for iron done (I was a little worried about being low after a few dizzy spells) and my levels are fine.

As to sodium I suspect I get too much.

According to MFP I am always over in fat and carbs so I'm assuming I'm eating enough. :)

I'm going to attempt running in the evening which will allow me to eat BEFORE running... We'll see if that helps.
  • sniffles
    Options
    Just thought I'd post an update for anyone who was curious (if anyone is curious). I've taken to running at the end of the day, after work and two hours after a meal... it hasn't made a difference. I still feel the same way after a run, but on the plus side I feel this way at the end of the day and I fall asleep pretty easily because of the weakness and light headedness that comes after a run. Haha! Always look on the bright side, right?

I have an echocardiogram in May, maybe that'll give some answers, maybe it won't... regardless I will be seeing my doctor after the exam so will be able to ask his input on this peculiar issue.

I look forward to the day exercise doesn't leave me feeling weak and instead makes me feel empowered. :)
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I would recommend checking out the nutrition and weight loss section on runnersworld.com

I would suggest starting with the article titled The Runners Diet and Custom Order

Custom order addresses your question in particular.
  • sniffles
    Options
    I would recommend checking out the nutrition and weight loss section on runnersworld.com

I would suggest starting with the article titled The Runners Diet and Custom Order

Custom order addresses your question in particular.

I'll give it a look. :) Thanks.
  • bennettv
    bennettv Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    This thread reminded me of a conversation I had with my doctor earlier today. Maybe it's relevant, maybe not, but thought I'd share . During the visit she suggested that I didn't fully understand what this lifestyle change is asking of my body. Toxins from food and environment are stored in fat. When we burn fat (loose weight) we release those toxins into our system which requires our organs to work harder to get rid of them. In addition, I've started the Couch to 5K program and do non-running exercises on my off days (biking, Slim in 6, Wii Fit, etc...) taking one day off a week. My body hasn't had this sort of activity at this level for about 12 years. While I'm enjoying it, I'm asking the muscles to work hard and the bones to accept much more impact. It's much more likely that if anything in my system is off even a bit it's going to show up now.

My visit was spurred by a series of illnesses over the winter, which is really unusual for me. After a bunch of testing, I'm very low in both vitamin D and B12. I'm now taking 10,000 units of Vitamin D3 and a monthly shot of B12. My adrenals are likely messed up too, but that will require a more tests. For anyone living in the north (I live in Michigan) you are unable to get enough vitamin D from the sun and should likely ask your doctor about it.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options