Any women who lost their weight after age 50?

Options

Replies

• Nettie96fb
    Options
    yep, I"m 52, and I've lost 35 lbs....since August....just watching what I eat, and doing walking, cycling, and I'm so excited about this whole fitness thing, that I've even started running, and plan on doing a half marathon next year...good luck, you can do it
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 and have lost more than 50lbs since February (9 months). I read a super success story yesterday from a young woman who joined in the same month as me, weighing one pound more and she was posting fabulous pics of herself looking stunning and having lost almost 70lbs in that time. I'm happy to admit that she probably worked a whole lot harder than I have at this weight loss thing, and she was several inches taller than I am, but we can ALL lose weight in a healthy way, no matter what our age! It sounds as though you're doing lots of things right (though I'd suggest you eat a bit more if you exercise a lot - maybe aim for eating half your exercise calories in addition to your daily allowance).

Good luck!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I am 54 years old,5'8" and have lost 43 pounds in 2012.. I reached my goal range (129-135) sometime last summer. I am on the Dukan Diet, but on the forth phase where you basically eat sensibly six days a week and pure protein one day a week. I counted calories the whole time and started using MFP a few months ago. I wear a Nike Fuel band all my waking hours to make sure i get enough exercise/walking/activity in each day.

Luckily, I have little to know saggy skin or stretch marks... but I attribute this to the high protein and bright and colorful vegetables I eat everyday. I do eat one square of dark chocolate daily as well. My dairy is mostly fat free cottage cheese or greek yogurt. My carbs come from dairy, avocados , bananas and the like these days. I don't eat bread, pasta, rice or potatos anymore. I just can't eat normal portion sizes of those things and stop.

Oh! and for my core strength - Barre 3...

I admit it is seems slower to lose the weight, but doing it the healthy way got me where I want to be in about six months, and now I am a healthy lifestyle and MFP junkie!
  • LauriePar
    LauriePar Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am 54 and have lost a total of 16 pounds since September 1, 2012. I know that does not sound like a lot, but I am a notoriously slow loser. For exercise I am walking/jogging and doing the 30 day shred. I do this 5-6 days a week I do get discouraged sometimes when I see how fast some others lose; but then I realize that they are not me and this is how I do it and who cares if it will take me another 10 months! Good luck on your journey--it really can be done! :laugh:
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    inb4 an extremely long post from californiagirl2012
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I'm 53, soon to be 54 and have lost 35lbs. and 24 inches since June 6, 2012. The first week I lost the most, (water weight) however it was enough to kick my butt into gear. There were many weeks I stayed the same. It seems like I am on a lose 2 lbs, stay the same for 10 days, lose some more. It has been SLOW compared to my younger years that's for sure. I LOG everything I eat, even on the bad days. I started out walking 30 minutes per day and have graduated to a trainer twice per week for resistance training and weight lifting. The BEST money I ever spent. I simply cannot get over how quickly my body has responded to the training sessions even at my age. My strength and stamina have improved immensely since I started in early September.

I consistently stay at 1200 calories or close to that. There are tons of people who think that's nuts, i don't care it was recommended by my cardiologist and it WORKS for me. I get the most for my 1200 calories. There's a lot of food to be had, but theres no real margin for processed or junk food, if you want to be satisfied. I stick to egg whites, cereal, tuna, talapia, salmon, ground turkey, chicken, almonds, fresh spinach and spring mix for salads, and any kind of veggies i like. I try to have a piece of fruit everyday, and I limit the dairy because it doesn't agree with me much. I rarely eat bread or crackers unless it is the whole grain variety. I'm not a huge rice or pasta fan but I have it now and again because my husband loves both. I drink beer and wine if I feel like I want to indulge, and I have sweets when I want them in moderation as well. I drink water (a LOT of it), black coffee. I did give up Diet Coke because it was getting to be a nasty habit I really didn't need and it causes me to crave junk food for some reason. I take Vitamin D (RX very deficient) and that's about it for me.

You just need to find what works for you and your body. I did Weight Watchers years ago, and I actually worked for them. It is a great diet if it works for you. It worked for me, but I'd rather count calories than points and counting calories on MFP is FREE.

Best of luck! You really can lose weight after 50!

Awesome job
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I've lost 7 pounds and am 55. At 5' 1" I have a chronic connective tissue disorder that results in long periods of relative inactivity and have noticed that when I'm walking regularly the weight comes off better....also I tend to "zig-zag" (up/down) - but the trend is definitely in the right direction. My BMR is around 1100 and my TDEE around 1350 so I eat around 1250 and as a result the weight comes off really slowly. Loose skin - yes; have to be really careful on lifting weight but work at it regularly and for the rest - well, that's what Spanks (and knock offs) are for!

I really don't care how long it takes; my focus is on eating healthier, becoming fitter and the rest will take care of itself. I promise you, if you are persistent and stick with this, it absolutely will happen. I could use any of the factors listed above as "excuses" but that gets you nowhere. You have already lost 11 pounds - you've already shown that you can do this!!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I'll be 34 in a few weeks, but this story isn't about me. My mother, 59, lost 35 pounds from January to July. She followed the WW old Points plan (not to the letter, just a guide, as she is a lifetime member, she didn't use the online tools or go to meetings, just did it herself). The only exercise she did was walk and she started that SLOWLY. See, as of this week she's been in breast cancer remission for 5 years. Chemo, radiation and surgeries SERIOUSLY messed up her body and made her gain tons of weight. January 1st she and I got on the scale and it read 180 (I'm 5'11, she's 5'4). We both realized it was time to get serious. We both reached our goals of 145 in July - she's still 7 pounds heavier than she was when she was diagnosed but looks incredible, she feels like 'her' again and she keeps saying the changes she had to make to lose the weight weren't as bad as she thought they would be (she was convinced with all she had gone through she would be heavy for the rest of her life, she always blamed the medicine, her age, etc on not being able to drop the weight, but the real problem was not wanting to do what had to be done). Now she walks 4 miles, 5 days a week, eats healthy and feels great.

I feel that if she can do it against all odds, anyone can. Slow and steady always will win the race!
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    57 years old, starting weight 240, current weight 180 or so, (did a bit of a loss before starting here). I've been on MFP with a great team of friends for just over a year. I am fit, slimmer than I've been since 1973 and feeling great. However, I lost the first 20 awfully fast and I looked for awhile like a melting ice cream cone :laugh:

Good diet and consistent exercise, (I have a busy life so intense exercise 3 days a week as well as around 10k steps and 10 or more flights of stairs most days. Food is a big deal, no "diet" here, it has all been about portion control, I still have all manner of tasty treats, just in moderation. I used to eat half a bag of chips or a half dozen cookies. Now it's all about weighing out a serving, put the rest up on the far side of the kitchen. Candy if it's irrestible goes to my hubby and he gives me one serving if I ask for it, lol. I don't usually have to do that anymore I can generally deal with it or I just don't buy it.

Get a kitchen balance, it will be your best friend in this fight.

Exercise will get rid of a lot of the jiggly crap, I am working on it, I still have loose skin to tone so at this point upping my calories and intensifying the workouts with more weight as I try to stem the tide of lean body mass loss caused by a year of retricted calories, we'll see how ti goes :flowerforyou:
  • michladyme
    michladyme Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am half way into my 50th year and decided I wanted to walk up my stairs without being out of breath when I reached the top. I've been complaining about my weight since I turned 30 and my metabolism died. I never lost the weight I'd gained when pregnant with my son and then added several more. My weight was over 200 lbs. ! I made a bet with a friend, a concert ticket was the prize. I think he's winning, but people say men lose faster. I've been bombarded with advise to try this pill, this diet plan, etc. I joined TOPS and love the support and encouragement I get from this group. I control my portions, no second burger, no seconds of nachos. I still eat most of the same foods, just no longer eat the candy bars, chips, or ice cream. I could do more exercise every day, but still have trouble getting motivated. Keep working every day and the pounds will come off.
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    bump:flowerforyou:
  • bellanoelle
    bellanoelle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bump....this gives me hope....thank you!
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I will be 50 soon and have dropped 25 lbs just by logging food and moving 6 out 7 days. I walk every workday and bike almost every evening. I still eat every type of food, just in moderation now. :smile:
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Just turned 50 and have same issues. Slower rate of losing, but thats ok with me. I'm not in a hurry. I would rather do it slowly so it becomes a lifestyle and not a diet. Also, the faster you lose your skin cant catch up so it gets saggy. I weight lift also, helps with definition. Good luck
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I am 53 and have lost 17 lbs. since mid-Sept. after a lifetime of yo-yo diets, fad diets, and food addiction.

I have been on every diet known to mankind, from Atkin's to Fat Kin's (<-- the one your formerly pudgy sister-in-law lost weight on, damn her! LOL). :laugh:

What I have learned here at MFP has been invaluable. These are the Top Ten:

1.) I had to change my prior thought patterns and habits regarding what dieting was all about.
    I used to think if I ate like a rabbit, kept my daily allowance under 1000 cals. per day, and exercised my brains out, then I would lose. I was right...I did lose...not just weight, but my mind!! I'd gain it all back and then some because starving yourself is NOT healthy and I was hungry ALLLLL the time. Now, thanks to MFP, I have learned to eat back my exercise calories lost (or at least half of them). This former food addict is happy to say that now I am never hungry and, in fact, I find it difficult sometimes to eat an entire day's allowance of calories!

2.) I had to embrace my inner diva and accept that, at my age, I was not going to lose weight as fast as a teenager, and I had to stop comparing my journey to theirs (or anyone else's for that matter). I was going to have to embrace my age-related slower (but not dead!) metabolism and arthritic knees, and decide to do what worked for ME and no one else. That meant being happy with a slow but steady .01-2 lb./week loss, plateaus, and even sporadic gains, as my body adjusted to the healthier and more active me. Embracing my inner diva also meant accepting that loose skin is NOT going to magically disappear. Exercise WILL make my muscles toner and make it appear like I have less turkey skin, but you can't tone skin. Period. And stretch marks? Please. I earned those with three live births and 3 miscarriages. Those marks are my badges of honor. :blushing:

3.) I cannot do this alone. I've tried, but I am my own worst diet enemy. My hubby is my greatest fan, and is doing this along with me. My pals here on MFP are supportive and encouraging yet honest, and will contructively critique my diet. I don't mind...I am here to learn! :flowerforyou:

4.) Denial is not just a river in Africa. I don't go "whole hog" anymore, but neither do I deny myself any of the "goodie friends" I loved before...I just have a new relationship with them. I don't deny them a visit, but I limit their stay. If I want chocolate, I have it. Not an entire box, bag, or carton, mind you, but whatever I choose to eat, I make it "fit" within my daily allowances. It's about control, from willpower to portions. :smile:

5.) That being said, neither do I make my entire day about forbidden food. I am learning how to eat healthier, and that means adding more fruits and veggies, leaner meats, and less fat. This is not just a diet but a complete lifestyle change, and for me, it has to be sustainable for the rest of my life. :glasses:

6.) I had to discipline myself to log everything I ate in my food diary. This makes me accountable, not only for myself, but to my friends who are "in the trenches" with me. By doing this, I have also gotten a feel for calories, and becuase of that, I am better able to make wiser choices, both at home and when we go out. Sometimes I even pre-log my daily food so I know what I'm getting into! :tongue:

7.) I stopped weighing myself daily and now I only weigh in once a week....same day/time, same Bat Channel, sans clothing. I had to learn to forgive myself if I expereinced a plateau or a minor gain. Water weight fluctuates, and menopause is a b***h that causes all kinds of havoc on the scale. Sure, I get disappointed when I hit a plateau or have a minor gain, but tomorrow is another day to try again. This isn't a race or sprint but a lifetime journey. :smile:

8.) I use the K.I.S.S. Method of dieting. I don't complicate this life with obsessing over macros, BMIs, TDEEs, and the plethora of other annoying abbreviations. I eat, I log, I exercise...therefore, I am. :happy:

9.) I have learned to love myself. I am not a loser, but a proud and hard-working BIGGEST LOSER! So what if I didn't turn men's heads when I was fatter? My hubby has always been attracted to me - now he thinks I'm getting hotter, and his male opinion is the only one that counts. In my late teens, I held a beauty pageant title and weighed 108 lbs. when I married my first husband, who only wanted me for my looks. My present (and last!) husband is my best friend and soulmate who not only loves the inner me, but thinks I am one sexy mama even when I weighed the most I ever did. He's a real man, not some shallow, egomaniacal guy who cares only about himself and his washboard abs. :noway:

10.) Finally, I had to stop the excuses. My weight is not my parent's fault. I may have grown up on mashed potatoes as a meal and Hershey bars every Saturday, but I'm a grown-up now and in charge of my own life. My weight is not due to pregnancies. I had a choice to lose weight after each birth, but I didn't choose to. My mistake. My arthritic knees cause me daily and excruciating pain. For decades I, let this be my excuse for not exercising. No more. I have found low-impact ways to be aerobic and I use weights for my pain-free upper body. I am midlife woman, hear me roar!!! :laugh: :wink: :smile:
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options

Buggar off, mate. First off all, OP asked for opinions and stories from WOMEN, and unless your picture is a hoax, you don't qualify. Secondly, Californiagirl2012 has an amazing story to tell, and although her posts tend to be long, she is inspiring and informative.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options

Buggar off, mate. First off all, OP asked for opinions and stories from WOMEN, and unless your picture is a hoax, you don't qualify. Secondly, Californiagirl2012 has an amazing story to tell, and although her posts tend to be long, she is inspiring and informative.

I agree, she is inspirational and her transformation is amazing.
  • claresusan
    claresusan Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I turned 50yrs old in May and since the 1st Dec last year have lost 47kgs (104lb's). Do not doubt that you can do this. Focus and commit yourself to a new healthier you, through a determined effort to succeed!! Friend me if you would like to :)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

:heart: Californiangirl2012 :heart: is my SHERO! Can't wait for her post here :wink:

If she does post here, I hope she'll post some of her pics too--so encouraging and inspirational her posts are to me. I LOVE her long posts.

OP, girl....time flies FAST doesn't it? Thank you for posting this question too! We can do this--it's just going to take time and hard work...just like it does for the younger folks. I'm pulling for ya!!!!
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options

Right on Sis-ta!

I am 56 and just passed my 610th day on MFP. There are lots of more mature woman on MFP who have amazing success stories.

It's not about your age it's about changing your life and attitude.

There are also some great groups on MFP for "Woman of a Certain Age" (plug for one) that share stories and encouragement.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!