Scales!

Options
Am i the only one who gets frustrated with all the different numbers on different scales... i weigh at the gym and its 4 lbs more than my scale at home! .. its like every scale i try says something different!.. and i refuse to believe the scale that gives me the less numbers! anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    No, because I rarely weigh myself......I recommend this approach to stop your frustration. Focus on how you look, how clothes fit and how you feel.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I have given up on scales. Measuring tape and clothing fit is what I use now.
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I also ran across this problem, so I use the same scale every time I weigh in, and weigh in at the same time every day
  • HollyEvans84
    Options
    Scales are very tricky and they are LIARS! You should take your measurements and monitor how many inches you are losing. And when you do weigh on a scale, use the same scale every time and weigh at the same time everyday. Every scale is different so every scale you use will give you a slightly different reading. Also there are MANY things that effect our body weight and our body weight fluctuates sometimes up to 5 lbs in one day so that is why you want to weigh at the same time everyday, preferably in the mornings!
  • ddwin
    ddwin Posts: 78
    Options
    I have put the scale away... seeing how my clothes are beginning to fit differently (things are getting baggy, lol), is what's more important to me.
  • clopez1987
    clopez1987 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    thanks guys,, i agree most times i see improvement trough the way my clothes fits than the numbers, im just going to focus on how i feel and that NSV..
  • phxricky
    phxricky Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    omg throw away the scale now!! GET THE MEASURING TAPE NOW!!!
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Don't throw away the scales, but only use the same scales, at the same period of your day, wearing similar or no clothes. And use a measuring tape also.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bug me because I know different scales will give different readings. The reading all depends on the time of day, usage the scale gets, where it is located, how often it gets moved, what we have eaten/drank etc before stepping on the scale.

I would suggest only using one scale to check your weight... you wouldn't be frustrated at all the different readings/
  • LittleBallofFurr
    LittleBallofFurr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I also ran across this problem, so I use the same scale every time I weigh in, and weigh in at the same time every day

This :)
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    I just use one scale, the one at home in my bathroom. And after a lot of frustration with weighing in too often I only weigh once a week and put my focus more on how I feel and how clothes fit.
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Nope. I rely on my own scale. Any other scale, I ignore. I don't weigh in at the gym, I don't watch at the doctor's office (and tell them not to tell me). I pay attention only to the number on my own scale, because that's the most accurate way to see the true difference I've experienced.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I even make sure I put the scale on the same bathroom tile every time. Things like the scales feet on different tiles can genuinely make inaccuracies.
  • BuckeyeGirlBrit
    Options
    I only weigh myself at home, because of weight changes in the scale. Temperature, type of scale, how it sits on the floor (if there is a slant or not), all can effect how it reads your weight, so only use ONE scale.

I weight myself out of habit, but I go by measurements once a month.
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I only weight myself every 10 weeks ... always on the same scale *buck naked, standing on one leg, only after a vigorous shower with my hair on the counter

*true story - some of the above may have been made up

Seriously the scale is only one part of your fitness/weightloss journey. How you feel, how you measure (in inches), how your clothes feel and how you feel, those are the important things. The scale (as you have demonstrated for yourself) is not the most reliable part of the story
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    idk but the scale at the Y FINALLY matches the scale at my house!!
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Scales are the DEVIL!!! Unless you measure AND sometimes use the scale your won't get the true picture of how your progressing! Always remember SCALES LIE and you'll be ok!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Scales suck.
  • SouthernDad
    SouthernDad Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I not only use the same scale but I set the scale on the same exact spot on the floor each time I use it.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    The scale is a FILTHY, LYING 5 letter word that rhymes with more.