Strength Training and Not Losing

Options
I've lost 15 lbs. since the middle of September. However, I haven't seen the scale move in more than 3 weeks and it's getting really frustrating. I have been 100% on program for the last couple of weeks. Last week, my net calories were in the 1200 range, which I know is fringing on too low, but I burned 600+ calories at my workouts, so my gross calories were around 1800.

The other change is that for the past 2.5 weeks, I've started a lifting program. I'm in the base phase, so I'm not lifting all that heavy but my muscles are definitely working hard to get me into shape.

Do you think that the strength training could really stall my weight loss for 3 weeks? I am enjoying the lifting but it's frustrating to not see the scale move, particularly since I'm hoping to lose weight for my wedding that is in 3 months. I don't want to stop lifting because I'm really going for a nice muscle tone/shape for my wedding but I'd also like to see the scale move.

I am eating lower carb, meaning that I keep my carbs around 50-100, depending on the day. I'll usually have one higher carb day a week, usually on the weekends. The rest of my calories are coming from protein and fats.

Replies

• iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    In your situation, I'd add a protein shake for 2-300 calories after my workout and just be patient.

It's often repeated around here, and true, that there are other more important measures of your health and progress than what you see on the scale.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    No point in worrying about the scale when you are weight lifting. Would you rather weigh less, or look better? Personally I would ditch the scale, eat more calories and take measurements.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I posted this on another thread but I thought it'd be useful for you to see too. The first two pictures were before I started lifting, the second two pictures were after 3 weeks on the NROLFW program. I actually GAINED 5 pounds in the first 3 weeks of the program, but I think I am starting to look better and more toned. I don't even weigh myself anymore except for MAYBE once a week, just due to pure curiosity. I don't think the scale is an accurate measure.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg
  • cindy_975
    Options
    I second that you stop weighing yourself so much and track your measurements.
    tighter muscles and less fat will show up there first!

My personal favorite is a recovery drink of kefir (yogurt drink I get from Trader Joe's) and protein powder and/or fuit.
  • ddwin
    ddwin Posts: 78
    Options
    I just finished a 12 week program with the American Heart Association. A part of the program was working with a personal trainer, and the workouts we did (still do) were a combo of strength training and cardio. For the first 2 months...I wasn't losing weight! I felt like I was doing something wrong because I was working my butt off and not seeing much on the scale. Then one day, my pants started getting really baggy around my butt/thighs.

Point is, you're probably changing your body composition. A lb of muscle has signifigantly less volume than a lb of fat. Put the scale away and start using a measuring tape. You'll become less frustrated.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    When I started lifting I tossed the scale and whipped out the measuring tape. Keep at it 2.5 weeks isn't long enough yet but you will start seeing and feeling the benefits and results. In my opinion the results I get from lifting are better than just dropping pounds and looking like a smaller version of what I was. With lifting you are transforming your body.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about your scale, focus on pictures and measurements for a while. With starting a new weight lifting program you're probably experiencing beginner gains and water retention. Make sure you're getting lots of water and plenty of protein. If you're really worried about it follow your weight lifting with 15-20 minutes of HIIT training on days you don't train legs.

What are you using to track an 600+ calorie burn? That's extremely high for a weight lifting session. If you're eating back those exercise calories that could be your problem as well.
  • emilythebear
    emilythebear Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! I'm actually doing the Female Body Breakthrough program by Rachel Cosgrove. I've done NROLW in the past (couple of years ago) but was sidelined by an injury.

I'm willing to stick with this because I agree that my fitness is more important than the number on the scale. However, I've got a good 50+ lbs to lose, so I need some reassurance that the scale will start moving again at some point. So you all think that if I stick with this plan, it will start to move again?
  • emilythebear
    Options
    I'm using my HRM to get the 600+ calorie burn number. I am not eating back all of my calories, and this week I'm focusing on just making it to 1800 calories a day and not worrying about eating any of them back.

I've been adding cardio before/after my lifting, so I'll do 10-15 minutes of intervals either before or after my lifting. Last night I did 20 minutes of intervals on the elliptical before my workout.

I'm thinking that I need to hide my scale for a month or so and pull out my tape measure only!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    HRMs are not designed to be accurate with weight training. They are for steady state cardio. Your burns are likely overestimated using a HRM. That being said. 1800 is not that much and the metabolic and hormonal impact of weight training can be significant. I'd keep eating at that level, ignore the scale as others have said and see what happens to my measurements over the next month.

Also, it is generally recommended to only do a cardio warm up of 5 to 10 minutes before lifting and then any additional cardio after.
  • ddwin
    ddwin Posts: 78
    Options
    It absolutely will move, if you keep it up. I had to pull the scale out at the end of the 12 weeks when they did our biometrics. I had put it away at the 8 week mark (and having only lost about 7 lbs). I just kept doing what I was doing, even had a couple bad weekends in there. By the end of week 12... I was down 16lbs from the beginning! So, I had lost 10-ish lbs in a month when I hadn't been paying attention to the scale.

Give it a few weeks.
  • emilythebear
    Options
    HRMs are not designed to be accurate with weight training. They are for steady state cardio. Your burns are likely overestimated using a HRM. That being said. 1800 is not that much and the metabolic and hormonal impact of weight training can be significant. I'd keep eating at that level, ignore the scale as others have said and see what happens to my measurements over the next month.

Also, it is generally recommended to only do a cardio warm up of 5 to 10 minutes before lifting and then any additional cardio after.

Good to know! How would you estimate the burns for weight training then? Just use MFP's numbers? And would I still wear my HRM for my post-workout cardio to estimate the burn there?

Note to self- move my cardio to post-workout. :)
  • emilythebear
    Options
    It absolutely will move, if you keep it up. I had to pull the scale out at the end of the 12 weeks when they did our biometrics. I had put it away at the 8 week mark (and having only lost about 7 lbs). I just kept doing what I was doing, even had a couple bad weekends in there. By the end of week 12... I was down 16lbs from the beginning! So, I had lost 10-ish lbs in a month when I hadn't been paying attention to the scale.

Give it a few weeks.

Wow, that's awesome! I hope the same happens for me!
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Good to know! How would you estimate the burns for weight training then? Just use MFP's numbers? And would I still wear my HRM for my post-workout cardio to estimate the burn there?

Definitely move your cardio to after your weight lifting :) Just use MFP's numbers for strength training, they are a little low (for me) and can't account for the after burn, but I think going in a bit low is better than go way over. Keep using your HRM for your cardio.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,133 Member
    Options
    If you are using only your scale to measure your progress you are going to have issues like this. That is why measurements of chest, waist, hips at the very least are important. Weight is not the whole picture. For that matter, no one knows what your weight is unless you tell them, all they see is whether you are smaller. You could very well be getting smaller while the scale is staying the same due to the strength training. Also, a big change in exercise programs or intensity will result in water retention to aid in muscle recovery.
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    Agreed that you should be measuring yourself instead of just the scale. You could be losing tons of inches. Have you noticed any difference in the way your clothes fit? Or do you SEE a difference as wel.

I measure and weigh myself every 4 weeks. I dont lose much weight but, my inches are dropping, which is the important thing. Just remember, a pound of fat takes up more space then a pound of muscle does. SO, you could be losing the fat but gaining muscle in its place! :-)

GOOD LUCK and keep up the lifting...ESPECIALLY if it is something you like doing!! :-)
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the scale when you're lifting. Disregard it. I've been lifting weights & doing cardio for 9 weeks (6 days a week) and according to the scale, I've lost NOTHING! Impossible right? Right. I've taken pictures and measurements, and there HAS been a definite change.

When you start a new program especially, your muscles are going to retain water to heal. Focus more on measurements and photos, and you'll be fine :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Yup, I just use the MFP numbers in the cardio section. If it's under, no problem. Nutritionally, it's important to get enough protein and enough calories so I wouldn't cut back too far from your current level.