Not losing weight breastfeeding

Options
I have not lost any weight breastfeeding. I started using a bodymedia fit armband a few weeks ago, and I have averaged a daily caloric deficit of ~1500 calories (The armband tells me I am burning between 3500-4000 calories per day and I eat between 2000-2200 calories per day). I am still breastfeeding my 13 month old son. He still nurses 5 or 6 times per day. He also is not sleeping through the night, so I usually get around 7.5hours of interrupted sleep per night. He is usually up twice during my night time sleep. I am quite active (what mom running after a toddler isn't?!?). My question is, with weekly caloric deficits of 10,500 calories, why am I not losing weight? I should be losing 3 lbs per week. I initially lost ~15lbs of my pregnancy weight, but I still have 20 to lose to reach my pre-pregnancy weight (Gained 35 lbs, pre-pregnancy weight was 199lbs). My goal weight is 170 lbs before I get pregnant with the next baby. I was very fit before I got pregnant with my son, running 10+miles per week, doing yoga, TRX, spin classes, etc. I think my body may have been in a chronic caloric deficit before getting pregnant (eating 1800 calories/day, burning around 3200), and I lost weight, but not a lot. Has anyone else been in this situation? I really want to lose weight and get healthy before getting pregnant again, but nothing I do is working!

Replies

• HollyEvans84
    Options
    To accurately help you I would need more detail on exactly what you are eating, how much you are eating and how many ounces of water you get in a day. Feel free to message me a schedule of what you have eaten for the past 2 days.
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Have you discussed this with your doctor? My only thing is maybe because your still breast feeding. Have you thought about stopping at all. I breastfed my first child n I felt at the time my body was storing food for her. Maybe? I would def discuss it with your gyno or doctor.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    With all 4 of my babies I did not lose weight while breastfeeding, no matter what I was doing. But, as soon as I was done nursing, the weight just came off pretty quickly. It's been a little harder after my 4th, but I wasn't actually trying until I stopped nursing him. I would keep tracking food/exercise and adjust my calorie goal if needed. You may not be taking enough in or you may be taking in the right amount to maintain. I'm sorry, this isn't very helpful. I just know for me that working out helps with having little ones, even when the scales not moving. My hubby had to remind me a ton that it happened with all our babies and that I could quit nursing whenever I wanted to lose the weight.
  • mrsfickle
    mrsfickle Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I had the same issues when I was nursing! I didn't really start losing until our babies were about 5 months. In the beginning I always felt hot, sweaty, and bloated. But then the pounds started coming off. I nursed 1st 6mo, 2nd 12mo, 3rd 14mo. I watched calories and exercised but for whatever reason 5 months was my mark, then my nutritionist was putting Boost into my diet b/c I was losing too fast!
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I am thinking the estimation on breastfeeding calories burned is quite a bit off, I think it is something like 25 calories per ounce of milk produced.
  • mxmom382
    mxmom382 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Same boat here. Seriously frustrating. I have a 18 month that nurses just for comfort before naps and bed. I eat 1200-1500 calories and exercise 3x a week and work in a busy ER 3 nights a week. I stepped on the scale today and I gained too pounds. What the heck! All I have is 10 pounds to loose but it is not budging.
  • rdtaylor22
    Options
    Thanks for responding. I'm very frustrated. I eat fairly clean, with minimal processed foods and plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, lean protein and complex carbohydrates. The calories for breastfeeding aren't actually included in the 3500-4000 calories a day burned. The bodymedia fit armband does not calculate the calories my body requires to actually produce the milk. So theoretically, I am burning more than that.
  • kikimama125
    Options
    For me, unless I eat a lot I do not drop weight. My body will hold onto every dang calorie because too big of a deficet is going to send my body into mode to save it all to support the baby. A large (or even seemingly decent sized) deficet stalls everything. If I were you I would up calories for a week and see. I have to eat so much I can't even do it most days. But the days I eat enough (eating crappy while out of town on the weekend) I literally drop a few pounds in a weekend. It's weird but also makes sense because our bodies are designed to support the breastfeeding baby in any conditions. So a deficet over 500 calores a day or so is going to send your body into saving for the baby. I think this is why a lot of women don't lose while breastfeeding or drop the last few pounds after they wean.

With your workouts your going to have to eat a TON. And of course remember to drink a lot of water.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I think the baby should be sleeping through the night, perhaps more solid food just before bed. For you not getting enough sleep can slow weight loss.