Thanksgiving Freak Out

Options
Is anyone else freaking about calorie consumption on Thanksgiving? I have been having anxiety over it for a week. I'm taking the Thanksgiving meal and veganizing it, but that doesn't mean there are any less calories. There is a ton of suger and cream in a lot of the dishes. Another issue is I'm having two days of Thanksgiving. My best friends and I are having our meal tomorrow night (late, which also freaks me out), and then I'm having my family's meal on Thanksgiving. Normally my friends would go to my parent's but because one of them is sick this year he's unable to make it, but they don't want to miss out on the tradition.

So to help alleviate the anxiety, I've decided to take my daily 3.30 mile morning walk and triple it. That coupled with the activity during the day should counter the calorie consumption. I don't have lack of control issues, so over eating is not my problem. The problem is that every dish I'm making, not taking into consideration eating the pies, is calorically dense. I think instead of "servings", I'm going to have to just take a tablespoon of each dish.

I used to love Thanksgiving. It was my favorite holiday. But after 11 months of counting every single calorie that enters and exits my body, I find this holiday dreadful. Am I the only one?

I forgot to mention. I'm looking at three days of eating, not just one.

Replies

• stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    my family has been wonderful about meeting me halfway for the food. We are cooking the turkey healthy (no stuffing or butter or excess salt, just simple bake) and not adding anything to the veggies we cook. They will of course still be having their own high calorie dishes too like sweet potato soufflé and stuffing and mashed potatoes but I've already got my meal figured out. Pre logged it so I know exactly how much I am going to be consuming. Could you do the same?
  • runnninginmd
    Options
    You really need to relax a little. You are not going to gain weight from going overboard one (or two) days. There is no way you can maintain this lifestyle change if you let yourself freak out like this every year. Enjoy your couple days, don't step on the scale for a week, and continue your normal exercise routine. Tripling it is too much and could lead to burn out. I promise you'll be ok!
  • creativecarabao
    Options
    my other fitnesspals had this same discussion and figured if we can be 200 kcal negative everyday for the week then one moderated cheat day would be ok. But yes have to throw in a workout just to feel good about it! Good luck!
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I'm worried about it too. Trying to focus on moderation. Just found out that I'm cooking the dinner, which means all the leftovers will be in my house. :sad:

One thing the OP said that intrigued me. You are preparing a vegan meal but the dishes have cream in them???? I'm confused... And no, I'm not being snotty, I promise. :tongue: Just trying to educate myself. I've learned that the best way to get educated on MFP is to ask questions. Even if they seem dumb...
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    You really need to relax a little. You are not going to gain weight from going overboard one (or two) days. There is no way you can maintain this lifestyle change if you let yourself freak out like this every year. Enjoy your couple days, don't step on the scale for a week, and continue your normal exercise routine. Tripling it is too much and could lead to burn out. I promise you'll be ok!

I agree! It's not worth freaking out over. Don't turn it into something you dread every year. It's life and this has to be a lifestyle, things will come up and we have to deal with them. 1 day is not going to set you back. Good luck and enjoy!
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    I don't know why people freak about thanksgiving. Turkey is pretty low fat meat and there are dozens of side dishes for you to eat without stuffing yourself with thousands of calories. I had a burger the other day when I was hung over that was probably twice the calories I'll end up eating on thanksgiving.

It's really hard to blow your weekly calorie goals with one meal. You do realize it takes something like 10,000 calories to put on a pound of fat right?
  • joyous504
    Options
    I've added some of the food I will be eating that day to my diary, but not all of it since I haven't figured out the calories of each dish. Because I'm cooking for two other people not watching their calories, I'm not skimping on the things they enjoy. It's a big enough sacrafice that we are Vegan and don't eat any animal products at all and I use our vegan alternatives to the normal ingrediants. The pumpkin pie and pecan pies are made (342 cal and 658 cals respectively) which I will not be touching. As for everything else, I think once I plug in my recipes I'll get a better understanding of where I'll be. I plan on doing that tonight when I can scan in the ingrediants. I think my appetizer is just going to have to be a xanax so I can enjoy the company and not worry about the food, even if it is a tablespoon of each item.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    It's just one day, don't sweat the small stuff. Get in a workout before hand and you'll feel better anway. I'm planning a 3.5 mile run/walk before I even start cooking.
  • Sooze_1975
    Sooze_1975 Posts: 89 Member
    Options

I agree with this post. There is no way you will be able to maintain, or even want, to get this worried or stressed out over every single holiday for the rest of your life. This holiday is about being together with family and appreciating what you have. If you go astray on calories for a couple of meals, it will not be the end of your lifestyle change, just a bump in the road. As long as you still excercise and get right back on track, I think you'll be fine. You may not lose weight that week, but still no real damage done. Enjoy the time with your friends and family and don't worry so much about every single calorie :drinker:
  • toogsmom
    toogsmom Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Well after being super strict with my diet/running for 2 months and only losing 2 lbs....i have decided to live a little. Granted i said a little. I am going to do a 5k with a friend that morning and i have already decided that i am going to measure everything and have smaller servings as well and try to eliminate off my plate what i can skip ( example i love dressing and could care less if i eat ham and sweet potatoes so i will not be eating any of what i dont exactly love). I have even decide instead of "dressing" up ..I am going to wear some "active" clothing! Maybe it will remind me of the hard work that i put into myself to get where i am and how much farther i still have to go!!!Then after our meal and family time i am going to try to get the family~ as many as would like ~ to take a stroll down to the beach and back. 3 miles there and play and the the 3 miles back should make for some fun and great calorie burn!! I think its admireable to even want to be healthy on a splurge day....but remember one day a year isnt what makes us unhealthy! Hope you have a wonderful thanksgiving and find a happy medium so that you can enjoy the day!!!
  • Lori573
    Lori573 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree with runninginmd. Thanksgiving is a time for family and the feast is part of it. I am going to have turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, and probably a peice of pie. I will stay off the scale for the next week and will adjust. If we punish ourelves during this weightloss, we will regret it and will be more likely to "fall off the wagon" later. With that said, two Thanksgivings ago i went healthier. Being the cook, I used the lighter stuff..nobody else liked it..I was used to it so it didn't bother me as much. But the rest of the family hated it. They wanted the "good stuff." I am not going to just pig out, but I am going to enjoy family and time together. I will also get my workout(s) in. HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
  • Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, you can't gain that much in one day. I am going to a two hour spinning class Thanksgiving morning and
    I just intend to be careful at the Thanksgiving meal. For appetizers before the dinner I will only eat them if they are
    vegetables or something low calorie. I plan to take a small portion of everything I like and for desert I will have one
    small piece of pie. I may go over on calories for the day, but it won't be enough to gain weight. Tomorrow I will be
    back to my regular diet.
  • melodyriddle17
    Options
    I know for me that I will keep track of what I eat but I am not going to panic if I go over my calories for one day. Thanksgiving is for me at least going to be one day that I just enjoy the company of my family and eat until I am full. I am not by any means going to stuff myself stupid but I don't think that it's worth the energy to freak out about having a little too much gravy for one day. :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    The only thing I'm freaking out about for Thanksgiving is if there's going to be enough leftovers of everything for a full second plate. Also, if I'll be able to manage to pour on enough gravy but not have it drip off the side of the plate, I hate when that happens!

Seriously though, it comes once a year. It's a time to gather with friends and family to enjoy each others companies, catch up with each other, laugh, tell stories, and eat good food. Don't let worrying about calories take away from the joy of the day. Eat what you want, log it, still do your regular weigh-ins, and take it for whatever it is.
  • RedBullLiz
    RedBullLiz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Oh man, this is tough. But hey, like you said, trying to make this thanksgiving healthy "veganized" will sorta help. I've though of the same too.
    This past week, I've been thinking it won't be such a big deal since it hasn't been long that I turned veggie. I'm sure I'll make right choices to not eat turkey. Problem is, I'm a huge Cookie Monster. Hehe, so pastries are gonna be a real tough one.
    Changing your workout burn will definitely help too. So, pretty much, I think you're doing the best you can to make great choices.
    Of course, I highly doubt ANYONE will be under calories for these holidays. But that's why we have that New Years resolution to make up for it. Then again, it doesn't mean we get to royally screw up our habits.
    If you know you're okay with control & you can stick to your habits, then these holidays won't kill ya. It's just the stress of too much food. Your body will let you know that you can't have that much. You'll be surprised of how your body will react.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    So, you're going to walk 9.9 miles? You know that will make your muscles retain fluid right? So, your scale is still going to go up. Don't freak out.

You need to calm down and relax. This is supposed to be about making a lifestyle change - and I don't know about you, but my lifestyle is always going to include holidays, birthdays, special occasions, etc. If I spent too much time worrying about those types of events/days (and any time is too much in my opinion), I would never see any sucess.

You have two choices:
    1. Learn to moderate your food choices on special days and understand that 1 day of excess eating now and then won't hurt.

or

2. Stop having holidays and special occasions in your lifestyle.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go over my cal goal, and enjoy it.

To gain one pound, you would have to go over 3,500 calories - above what your normal maintenance level of calories is. So, let's pretend your maintenance level is 2,000 calories a day, the number where you wouldn't lose or gain. 3,500 + 2,000 = 5,500. Do you think you can even eat 5,500 calories in one day, even on Thanksgiving?

Eat, enjoy, then the next day go back to your normal diet.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Have to agree with Pu and many others... why on earth would anyone freak out over the holidays? This is a lifestyle change. We are human. We are meant to enjoy holidays and loved ones. For me, I have learned to watch my portions and eat what I love. I have learned not to stuff myself so I'm uncomfortable and follow my hunger cues. I usually do start the holiday morning with a nice walk or other exercise. However, I don't obsess about my calories. Yes, I will indeed do my best to log them. But if I go over, tomorrow is another day. Enjoy. This is not life and death. AN extra calorie won't kill you ONCE IN A WHILE.

I would highly recommend not letting Thanksgiving being the green light for over eating through to the new year as that might become problematic. But, hey. Enjoy what the holidays bring and use moderation and by all means do not freak over any of it. That might signal that you are not doing things right in embracing all the good food habits and lifestyle changes if you think one day will derail you. Lighten up.
  • joyous504
    Options
    For those asking about my "cream" comment. I use soy creamer or almond milk. While they don't individually have a lot of calories it's still adding to the total.

This is something that I will do for the rest of my life, but I figured the first holiday would be the hardest. Just like the first Vegan holiday.

I'm glad I'm not the only one freaking out about it. Like I said, I have no problems with self-control, but it's a lot of food in all.

I will just wing it and see what happens.