Drawers/Comic Book Readers: Tablet?

Options
crazyellybean
crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
I want to buy my husband a tablet for Christmas... I have the Acer A500 which I love and it such a nice tablet and I am very happy with it, however, it is now discontinued (we got it for like $350) ...

Can anyone recommend a tablet in the $200-$300 range that would be good for:

Drawing (he likes to draw, and has seen on TV they have new apps for drawing)

Comic Book Reading

Netflix (he loves watching Netflix)

I think he would get a lot of use out of it, if it was the right tablet. He currently carries his Laptop and Drawing Thing (connects to the pc) to work everyday so he can draw at lunch. And he turns his laptop sideways to read a comic book that is only available in landscape LOL

Replies

• wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i am interested in this, too - because I love to draw and will want a tablet that has the best apps for keeping a sketch book, but even more important, a tablet that responds as realistically as possible to a stylus.
  • crazyellybean
    Options
    i am interested in this, too - because I love to draw and will want a tablet that has the best apps for keeping a sketch book, but even more important, a tablet that responds as realistically as possible to a stylus.

Yes exactly what I want!
  • geekpryncess
    geekpryncess Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the best android tablet, as I don't have one (got an iPad as a gift), but I do have a Galaxy S3 phone which I love! I use Moon+ app for comic book reading (Walking Dead!!) and it's free from Google Play.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.flyersoft.moonreader&hl=en
  • xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have a Google Nexus 7 that I love. Great for reading and Netflix. It doesn't come with a stylus by default, but there are some out there that look to work quite well. I found a review video at this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glYMs73s-70

The 16G Nexus 7 (wifi only) is $200, the 32G is $250. Google has also released a 10" model recently. The 16G version of it is $400.

The best part about buying a Nexus device is that it is pure, 100% unadulterated Android. No 3rd party interfaces, no waiting for the manufacturer to decide when to update the OS. Nexus devices are usually the first ones to get the updates.

The one drawback that most people mention about the Nexus line is that there's no expandable storage options. (No micro SD slot) Personally, I don't have a problem with that since I don't store music or movies directly on my devices. The other thing some people complain about is that there are no rear facing cameras on the Nexus tablets. Again, I don't use my tablet as a camera, so I don't care, but it might be important for you, so...

Personally, I think the 7" form factor is ideal for reading. I've had 10" tablets before, didn't really care for them, but I use my GNex7 all the time.

Just my two bits.
  • crazyellybean
    Options
    Personally, I think the 7" form factor is ideal for reading. I've had 10" tablets before, didn't really care for them, but I use my GNex7 all the time.

Just my two bits.

I have a 10" and I have to also say they are just big and bulky to carry around. I don't usually take mine out of the house, and when I am at home I use my laptop. I've had my tablet for 2 years and I've used it maybe a dozen times.
  • gpteran
    Options
    I'm a big Mac head. It's the only computer I've ever owned. As an artist I've always felt that Apple had the edge over PCs. That being said when It was time for me to upgrade my phone I did not get an iPhone. I have the Galaxy Nexus running Android. I love it! Everyone I know got an iPhone but for my son. He got the Nexus. When I saw the features I was sold. Now that I want a tablet I'm looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab. I've got a great painting app on my phone. I can only expect better on the tablet.

Please stop by art at: http://www.gpatrickteran.com
  • givemenovember
    givemenovember Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I recommend the nexus 7 or the nook tablet.
  • nbhobbes
    nbhobbes Posts: 284
    Options
    The Google Nexux 7 is the best tablet on the market for the price range you are looking in.

Full Android operating system as opposed to the limited versions that you get with Nook and Kindle. Also you get the Chrome browser so if your at home or work using chrome and take off you can bring up the browser on the go.

It's not bulky, really light and fits comfortably in a pants pocket. (I take mine everywhere!) You can communicate via google chat and Skype with it as well.

It comes in two variants and 8GB model and a 16GB model. Get the 16 it's totally worth it.. Best of all if you use google services (Like the Play Market) you can upload songs from your PC to the cloud and stream them from the cloud on your tablet wherever you go.

It's easily the best one out there.. OH and you can download the kindle and nook applications to it as well. Best of everything!