Calf Muscle and Shin Splints

Options
About a year ago I had a lot of pain in my calf muscle and saw the doctor for it. The doctor said I tore the muscle and gave me a list of stretching exercises to do every day for a length of time. I did the stretches and the pain went away. Things have been fine until I started jogging recently. The same muscle feels tight more than my other calf and I now have shin splint pain in that same leg and doesn't seem to want to go away. I have been taking it easy as much as I can without causing further stress to that area. I'm wanting to continue exercising though. Any suggestions on what I can do to help heal that area? Is it possible that the calf muscle will always be weakened and cause shin splints with activity? Thanks!

Replies

• Stepfanatic
    Options
    I got a grade II tear in my calf muscle in October 2009 during a step aerobics class and underwent one month of physio 3X per week and could not do impact exercise for 2 months afterward. My calf still does not feel 100%. That being said, I am able to run, do step aerobics, and muscle classes by stretching out my calf muscles before and after every workout. I am also still doing exercises every day to continue to strengthen the calf I injured. My therapist says this is crucial as re-injury often requires surgery which can mean months without weight-bearing exercise.
  • jmarie9
    jmarie9 Posts: 108
    Options
    i used to get shin splints bad! how are your shoes? that plays a huge role. and if thats not the problem a trainer i used to work with told me to walk on my heels for about 30 paces back and forth, and also flex my foot (kind of like you would if you were tapping your foot to a good song) up and down 30 times, that helps a lot to stretch the shin muscles. i do it before and after any jog. i may look kinda funny, but it works for me.
  • littlelisa24
    Options
    Are you icing your shins? you need to do that and walk on your heels will strengthen your muscle.
  • lwebsmfp
    lwebsmfp Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'll try walking on my heels. I have not iced them though.
  • littlelisa24
    Options
    Lisa, I found this also so take a look. I think i'm going to do that too.
  • littlelisa24
    Options
  • NinaMyers
    NinaMyers Posts: 37
    Options
    Are you running on the treadmill or outdoors?

If it's on the treadmiill, a good tip is to up the incline, which will reduce your pace but the intensity is the same

Helped me out
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Running is a high impact sport so you definitely need to make sure that you get the right shoes for that. Do you know if you have flat feet? That could be contributing to your shin splints.

They make neoprene sleeves that you should be able to get at a sporting goods store that you wear over your shins and that will help keep them warm and prevent the muscles from pulling away at the bone.

As far as treatment goes, make sure that you are icing after every run. An ice massage would be the best way to go. Get some dixie cups and fill them up with water and put them in the freezer. When they are frozen, rub the giant ice cube over your shins for 8-10 min.

If you would like to take an anti-inflammatory for the pain it might help. If you are going to take advil I would up the dose to 4 pills every 8 hours if your stomach can handle that. You need to take it consistently for 3 days before it becomes an anti-inflam. though
  • TGIBriday83
    TGIBriday83 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    usually shin splints result from new activity too hard too fast. often times the best way to heal them is to rest, ice and stretch to aid the healing process. when you do start back up with jogging or running take it slow. go at a slower pace or shorter amount of time and be sure to stretch and ice after. like anything those muscles need a chance to adjust to the new found activity. its nothing too serious but they cn be rather annoying.

i had them pretty bad my sophmore year in high school during basketball season. the beginning of games and practice would absolutely be torturous until i got warmed up, after that i was fine. of course with games i'd sit out a few minutes or half time would come and i'd cool down and forget it. it would be worse than before the game. i found stretching to be the real key to helping aleviate the pain.
  • littlelisa24
    Options
    As far as treatment goes, make sure that you are icing after every run. An ice massage would be the best way to go. Get some dixie cups and fill them up with water and put them in the freezer. When they are frozen, rub the giant ice cube over your shins for 8-10 min.

If you would like to take an anti-inflammatory for the pain it might help. If you are going to take advil I would up the dose to 4 pills every 8 hours if your stomach can handle that. You need to take it consistently for 3 days before it becomes an anti-inflam. though

That sounds like what was drilled into me from X-country, track and soccer! I have asics gel nimbus. I have a good arch that doesn't colapse. I'm running inside and outside. I mostly run out side on the track which just got re done so i'm assuming it's pretty coushoned. I'm getting slight shin splints so i have to start getting on the exersises.