Healthy body fat %

Options
Hi all! Me and a friend were talking about our BF percentages the other day. She said the calipers told her hers was 26% and she was disgusted and thought that was terrible. I thought it was in the "fitness" range. Now I cannot find where I read that! Does someone have a good link that tells the body fat percentages and where you fall as far as "athlete" range, "fitness" range, and so forth? Thanks so much!!:)

Replies

• kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I think 24%-30% for a women is in the "normal range"...18%-23% was "fitness". I think I'm around 24% which since I'm not an exerciser and I'm a very good weight (5'11, 145lbs), I'm good with that number...
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    FireRock, I love those pictures!! That helps me know where I fall. I woud still love a link to "normal" range BF %, "athlete" range, "fitness" range, and so forth, just for curiosities sake.:P It bugs me to death when I can't find something I read before and would like to read again!! I will bookmark it this time!!
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    I like women in the 14-24% range; thanks for the pics fire rock.

Hopefully I'll be able to get down to around 12% at some point, but I'll be happy with getting under 20% first.
  • hhall1992
    hhall1992 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/
    Here is a link that has a couple different charts with ranges..
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Compliments of Tom Venuto (first column for men, second for women, units are percent):

Competition/ripped: 3-6 9-12
    Very lean/excellent 6-9 12-15
    Lean/good 10-14 16-20
    Average/fair 15-19 21-25
    Below avg/poor 20-25 26-30
    Very poor >25 >30
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    hmmm... I am 19.1% last time I got checked......and don't look anything like the 20% picture :noway: :huh:
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    There we go!! Thanks SO much!!:)
  • snoopy7501
    snoopy7501 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Interesting. My calipers say I'm at 30% as of last Friday, but looks-wise, I seem to be somewhere in between the 20-25% pictures. I guess as long as it keeps going down (was at 36% 10 weeks ago), I'm not as concerned with whether the actual number is a little off.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    hmmm... I am 19.1% last time I got checked......and don't look anything like the 20% picture :noway: :huh:

From the photos on your profile, I'd say you're pretty similar to the ones in the link...
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options

Interesting. My stupid bathroom scale has been stuck between 23 and 25% for the last few months (despite quite a bit of weight loss, and some muscle development), but looking at the pictures I'm thinking I'm around 20%.