Eating Seasonally

Options
I care a lot about local eating, and it's not good for my carbon footprint if I buy things from other countries. I live in Canada, and right now it's almost winter, but my boyfriend and I are managing really well on eating seasonally. Our favourite things right now are brussel sprouts, beets, sweet potatoes and apples. If there are frozen blueberries from Canada available we will get those too. Pretty much anything that says it's coming from Canada is fair game. This also helps us from buying junk food because almost none of it is from here.

Does anyone else eat seasonally?

Would anyone agree that it's a more natural way to eat because it is what people would have done a hundred years ago?

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    :ohwell: :indifferent:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I care a lot about local eating, and it's not good for my carbon footprint if I buy things from other countries. I live in Canada, and right now it's almost winter, but my boyfriend and I are managing really well on eating seasonally. Our favourite things right now are brussel sprouts, beets, sweet potatoes and apples. If there are frozen blueberries from Canada available we will get those too. Pretty much anything that says it's coming from Canada is fair game. This also helps us from buying junk food because almost none of it is from here.

Would anyone agree that it's a more natural way to eat because it is what people would have done a hundred years ago?

This will probably generate some backlash but this is my opinion:

Comparing two diets in which both are nutrient rich and both contain reasonable calorie and macro intakes, I don't think it makes a significant difference whether or not you eat seasonally or whether or not you eat like our ancestors.

If it makes you feel better, then do it. If it makes you perform better, then do it. If you have moral/ethical/religious reasons to do it, then do it.

But I don't think there's any health benefits given you're adequately nourishing yourself in both cases.

EDIT: Sort of a fail on my part though since you're asking about carbon footprint and not necessarily health. Reading comprehension fail on my part!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

People did a lot of things a hundred years ago that we think is stupid today.
  • blondeski
    Options
    haha, yes it makes me perform and feel better. it's also cheaper when I go to the store.
  • emaxtastic
    emaxtastic Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Some people are ignoring the important factor here of reducing one's carbon footprint. That said, there are still issues. I live in St. John's, Newfoundland, so it's pretty hard to eat well and eat locally and seasonally for me, although we have been making huge strides toward the possibility of this recently. Also, there are issues of things being grown in hothouses which may burn more energy that it would cost to ship them (I don't know this, just speculating). And finally, issues of fish being wild or farmed, which may arise. I just try and make the best decisions I can, taking into account environmental issues alongside my own fitness and nutritional goals. It can be very challenging!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I agree it's a reasonably sound guideline (for many reasons). Personally, I also try to eat what is in season locally, because that's generally what is available in the stores/farmer's markets.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat seasonally and locally. Not only do I feel good about keeping my money here in my area, I do enjoy it. Getting seasonal produce has forced me to learn new dishes. I recently made a large batch of DELICIOUS butternut squash soup that I probably never would have decided to make on my own because it came with my co-op share. It's expanding my pallet, and I'm getting fruits and veggies in my diet I wouldn't otherwise.
  • starjumper12
    Options
    i think there are a lot of reasons to eat seasonally, including variety, supporting local business, and reducing carbon footprints (all assuming that you're eating in your local season, which it sounds like you are).

i see you're in toronto, i'm in calgary. i find it really easy to eat seasonally in the spring, summer, and even most of the time in the fall, but in the winter... well, nothing really grows here. in the non-summer months (or when i'm just really busy) i order local seasonal produce from spud.ca... but if i'm not finding really great choices that i love, i'm not opposed to going to the grocery store and picking something from the other side of the world.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options

People did a lot of things a hundred years ago that we think is stupid today.

I would have enjoyed Greek's orgiastic parties
  • laurenmcallister
    laurenmcallister Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think your reasons for doing so (carbon footprint, cost savings) are awesome. I've been trying to do this more often too, and have my first attempt at sweet potato soup on the stove as we speak :)

However, keep in mind the size of our wonderful country - where I live (Ontario), cranberries from BC travel further than oranges from Florida. So, just because it says "Canada", doesn't necessarily equate to "local".
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I don't think eating seasonal food would have any major impacts for your diet, but I think it is a great idea to eat seasonal produce. Other countries may not have the same guidelines and may be using chemicals on your produce that have been banned in your country. It's also cheaper to eat what is in season.

From the carbon foot print aspect, I wouldn't limit yourself to just Canadian blueberries! Blueberries from Maine if you live in Toronto are a lot closer than British Columbia.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm eating local venison during hunting season almost every day now. Does that count?
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    There was a really interesting segment on the Q recently about this:
    http://www.cbc.ca/q/blog/2012/06/22/the-great-locavore-debate/

When it's reasonable, I do try to eat locally grown foods. I shop at farmer's markets, and choose things that come from local farms first. Partly for carbon-footprint reasons, and partly also to support local farmers. I also appreciate being able to talk to farmers about where my food is coming from, which is especially important with seafood. I like to talk to the guy who pulled up my salmon and ask about his fishing methods to make sure they're in line with that I think is good practice, and I like to talk to the couple who farmed the chicken I'm eating to ask about its living conditions. Hard to do that with non-local food!

But that said, I'm not going to not eat foods because they aren't produced locally - avocados, for example, or other fruits and veggies in the winter (although this is much easier in Vancouver than it was when I was in Ontario!). But when local options are available, I will almost always choose those.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I'm eating local venison during hunting season almost every day now. Does that count?

That's totally awesome. I need to get with my cousins to see if I can snag myself some.
  • blondeski
    Options
    Venison counts, for sure.

The blueberries are from Ontario, not B.C., and they were just quick-frozen.

I do realize that being in Toronto, ON, makes things a lot easier than if I lived in another province or territory, other than B.C. I was just curious to see who else does this!
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options

That's totally awesome. I need to get with my cousins to see if I can snag myself some.

Shot my second one this past Sunday. Skinned, Quartered and processed it last night. My freezer is full to include the one in my garage. Going to have to have a big BBQ before I use my last tag.

It's nice to not have to buy meat for 6-9 months out of the year besides a little chicken and turkey here and there.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I do my best not to do this, though it will be difficult for me to give up on tomatoes and cucumbers, but I think I'll manage well with beet and cabbage instead. I buy all my food from the marketplace and it mostly has things that are in season, except for tomatoes and apples which are available all year round. I think the next time I go there, I'll move on to the winter vegetables.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I do not eat 100% seasonally, but I do eat a lot of veggies when they are in season because they are cheaper.

Yes, I do think it's "more natural" to eat locally grown food, though I don't think it make much difference nutritionally.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is always practical. I would starve in the winter being in Northern Michigan and would probably get scurvy if I didn't starve. However, when possible, I do buy as much as I can from the local farmer's market and local farmers I know. It gets me fresher food and puts my money directly into the local economy. I do eat food that isn't local as well though. There is just too much delicious produce that would never grow locally.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Venison counts, for sure.

The blueberries are from Ontario, not B.C., and they were just quick-frozen.

I do realize that being in Toronto, ON, makes things a lot easier than if I lived in another province or territory, other than B.C. I was just curious to see who else does this!
    I do it when it makes sense. I also can (mason jar) and freeze my own veggies from my garden.