TIME OFF OR NOT?

Options
Hey guys , Im really considering taking a month off of clean eating and excersies. I am not getting the results I want. My diet has been 80% clean and I mostly work out 5 days a week. None of my clothes fit. My breast are a lot smaller and I look like a ironing board with nice arms. What would you guys do?

Replies

• lynnypenny1982
    Options
    What kind of results are you looking for??
  • had_2
    had_2 Posts: 19
    Options
    Flat abs. I have a muffin top
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Are you going to get the results you want by taking a month off?
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    I would switch up the workout and do something different. But don't stop completely, I think that would be a step in the wrong direction
  • lynnypenny1982
    Options
    Oh okay. What does your workout routine consist of? I would suggest visiting www.bodybuilding.com. They have lots of tips and tricks for exercise. I also follow Fitness Model Kelsey Byers. She has a great workout routine, and she looks great. You can find her on facebook.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your work out consists of but I wouldn't take time off, I would slow way down on the cardio and lift weights. If you want to change the shape of your body, cardio won't do that in a positive way...at least for me. Good Luck.
  • rachaelbmh
    Options
    I'd encourage you to stick with it. Sometimes it takes a while for results to show up. Keep up with eating clean and exercising - if nothing else, you're giving your body what it needs to be healthy. Even if you're not seeing the abs you're desiring, focus on your overall health. Things will fall into place when you're focused on the long term journey not the short term goal.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Don't change your clean eating, but try to shake up your workout routine, like my girl, Jillian Michaels say: PUSH THE UP BUTTON!
  • had_2
    Options
    When I say time off , My thinking was to shock my body after a month of taking off. I dont like how I look. plus I feel like I can put on some weight.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    Maybe you should just change your workout routine. Try some new exercises. Especially ab exercises, since you want to get rid of the muffin top.
  • had_2
    Options
    My workouts consists of Insanity twice a week, Personal training twice a week, half of hours of stairs a week. Run about 7 mile a week. Weekends are usually one/two strenth training sessions.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Are you actually eating enough/clean?

I looked at the past few days of your diary and maybe you're like me, you stop logging part way through the day. I hope that's the case because it doesn't look like you're eating enough. Or clean really - chips ahoy, battered fried catfish, french fries, etc...

I'd go with switching up the workout routine and cutting out the chips ahoy (homemade are better =] )
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    When I say time off , My thinking was to shock my body after a month of taking off. I dont like how I look. plus I feel like I can put on some weight.
    Sounds like you already know what you want to do...

I might suggest that you wait till after the holidays to take a break though. With all the crappy food and temptations that this season can bring, you might find that taking a break around that time could lead to the wrong kind of weight gain if you give into a lot of sugary crap....
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Change up your workout routine. THAT will shock your body. I don't believe taking a month break will do any good for you. I took a month break (non-voluntarily) and the only thing that happened was my weight went up a little and I feel weak from not working out. Plus, now it's been hard to get used to my "dieting" and exercising routine.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Myabe this is your body. sometimes we have to work with what we've got.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary.

You need to eat more, especially if you are doing that much exercise.

And if you want abs, you have to lower you body fat percentage (not necessarily losing weight). I would suggest that you start looking into how to do that - and it usually involves strength training and only moderate deficits from your TDEE. Which would require you to eat more.....
  • stacy_1971
    stacy_1971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options

Brad,

I don't know how I missed this the first go around, but thanks for posting the link! I needed to hear what you wrote. In fact, not only did I bookmark the page, but I also printed off your post for my weight loss journal, to read in times of needing inspiration.

I'm beginning to notice a common theme: There are those who want to lose weight to look better/fit into more stylish clothes, etc and those who want a lifestyle change and want to be able to see their bodies to do amazing things. I admit, I was the first type of MFP person, but I am beginning to come over to the other side!

*Edit*......had_2: Sorry if I hijacked your post. Best of luck to you.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    as said above... my humble opinion is that you not take time off, but change your routine. add in more strength training, continue to eat clean - as you say you do, and learn how to decrease your body fat (that might entail reconfiguring your macros and caloric intake). changing your routine to add in more strength training is what will shock your body.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Wait, what???

You don't like the way you look, you have a muffin top, but you feel like you can put on some weight?

Your progress isn't the problem, your expectations are. Abs/stomach area is the last place most people lose weight. Be patient, stick with it, and it'll happen. Taking a month off will do nothing for your progress. If you feel like you need to "shock your body", take 1 day off and go nuts, then get back after it the next day.