treadmill running

Options
So, I run on a treadmill on weeknights because my neighborhood isn't super-safe. If I go running in the morning or on a Saturday afternoon, then I run outside, which is much harder. Yesterday I read that if you put the treadmill on a 1 or 2% incline that it simulates the strain of running outdoors.

Has anyone tried this?

I'm going to try it tonight but I can't imagine that I would even be able to notice that small of a change.

Replies

• RentThisSpace
    RentThisSpace Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I train on a treadmill when it becomes too cold to run outside. I've always added an incline to increase my calf resistance and generally make the training harder. You WILL feel the difference over the course of a couple of mile of even a consistent 1% incline grade, as you are pretty much always running uphill with no hill slope to help even out your pace. I highly recommend doing this if training outdoors isn't always an option.
  • cristalg20
    Options
    Hello,

Yes I have heard this before and it is better on your knees. Running outside is never on a flat surface so putting your treadmill on a 1 or 2% incline does help, but it's not really noticable.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I always have my treadmill on a 1% incline whether I'm walking or running because a personal trainer told me to do this. You won't notice it much at 1% incline because it's still easier than running outdoors since the belt helps propel you whereas you have to push off more with your feet when running outside.
  • hopela
    hopela Posts: 17
    Options
    wow thanks! It does hurt my knees a little when I run on the tread for a couple workouts in a row...and then I have to take a day off to recoup.
  • kfsooner
    kfsooner Posts: 40
    Options
    I love the incline on my treadmill. I always manually vary the speed and incline because the ground is never level!!
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Kfsooner...was your profile picture was taken where you live? If so, what are you doing on a treadmill??? That picture looks gorgeous...a place I'd LOVE to run! :) Thank goodness Spring is finally here.
  • kellycrow
    kellycrow Posts: 140
    Options
    mrssuejones - haha! kfsooner is my sister and no - she does not live near palm trees!!! that photo was in hawaii... we live in a much colder climate! haha!!

btw - i put my treadmill at a 10% incline... all the time... i love it... i saw a new one advertised where it also has a decline - so now i wait for my current treadmill to die... (don't tell the hubby!!)