FOOT QUESTION!

Options
Ok i have this blister at the bottom of my foot, like right on the ball of my foot under the big toe area. and it hurts SO bad, just when i walk alone.... I tried putting a bandaid w/ ointment on it, not working, tried soaking it doesn't seem to be really helping..

i have a run on Thursday too...so yeah no bueno.

what can i do to help this process speed up so im able to run on Thursday?!?

Replies

• JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Ok i have this blister at the bottom of my foot, like right on the ball of my foot under the big toe area. and it hurts SO bad, just when i walk alone.... I tried putting a bandaid w/ ointment on it, not working, tried soaking it doesn't seem to be really helping..

i have a run on Thursday too...so yeah no bueno.

what can i do to help this process speed up so im able to run on Thursday?!?

I find ( as gross as this is ) Popping them casues them to heal faster - or doubling up on socks helps me run through the "pain"

PS - if you need to pop it, just clip the bubbled up white part with a clippers or tweezers. haha

Good luck!!! :)
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Pop it and let the skin dry, no plasters, no creams, let it dry in the air, go barefoot - you can run with a blister if you have the right socks I have found...
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Bandaid Brand sells a product specifically for blisters, I couldn't believe the relief after I bought them....... BUT my blisters were on my pinky toes.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Foot care people will probably scream at this, but I've been known to use a sterile needle to pop a small hole in a blister that is a couple days old and drain out the remaining fluid. I leave all the skin attached! Then I cover it with a bandage and some antibiotic ointment. Usually fixes it up for my next run.

Like I said, foot care people will likely freak out, but it works for me.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    If the blister makes it painful to walk, pop it. Don't cut off the skin. This can open you up for an infection. Use a needle that has been sterilized (with rubbing alcohol or run it over a fire a couple of times) and pop it at the base of the blister and allow to drain. Clean the area with an antiseptic and allow it to get as much air as possible. If you are wearing shoes, cover it with a band-aid or gauze pad.
  • jpaw1002
    jpaw1002 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Bandaid Brand sells a product specifically for blisters, I couldn't believe the relief after I bought them....... BUT my blisters were on my pinky toes.
    i had these for my heels and they worked, i have one on this now and its not working at all!!

my bf kept saying last night to pop it and i about flipped :noway: i was like its going to hurt wayy too bad! :sad: im such a big baby when it comes to that stuff! but....i guess i'll have to pop :grumble:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the other advice... pop it, let the raw skin underneath heal - let it air out... no bandaids, ointments, etc. It'll hurt for a day or so, but you should be good by Thurs.
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    it really doesnt hurt to pop it - I've used the sterile needle to just punch a hole through the raised skin and also used clippers to clip a hole in it - the relief is almost instant since draining that fluid off relieves the pressure on the underlying skin where the nerves are. Can be a bit icky draining the fluid out but no pain - keep a square of gauze or something similar handy to catch the fluid and then cover with antiseptic cream / bandaid just to prevent a possible infection from the open part.
  • jpaw1002
    Options
    :ohwell: ew this is going to be gross....

thats why i'm having the bf do it!:laugh: lol thanks guys
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I also tend to pop them with a needle. I find that if I do it ASAP, and use as small a hole as possible, sometimes the skin will reattach itself, which makes the healing go much faster.
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Foot care people will probably scream at this, but I've been known to use a sterile needle to pop a small hole in a blister that is a couple days old and drain out the remaining fluid. I leave all the skin attached! Then I cover it with a bandage and some antibiotic ointment. Usually fixes it up for my next run.

Like I said, foot care people will likely freak out, but it works for me.

this is exactly what i do
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Copied from WebMD for treatment of blisters:

What Are the Treatments for Blisters?

Most blisters caused by friction or minor burns do not require a doctor's care. New skin will form underneath the affected area and the fluid is simply absorbed. Do not puncture a blister unless it is large, painful, or likely to be further irritated. The fluid-filled blister keeps the underlying skin clean, which prevents infection and promotes healing.

But if you need to pop a blister:

Use a sterilized needle or razor blade (to sterilize it, put the point or edge in a flame until it is red hot, or rinse it in alcohol).
    Wash the area thoroughly, then make a small hole and gently squeeze out the clear fluid.
    If the fluid is white or yellow, the blister may be infected and needs medical attention.
    Do not remove the skin over a broken blister. The new skin underneath needs this protective cover.
    Look for signs of infection to develop. These include pus drainage, red or warm skin surrounding the blister, or red streaks leading away from the blister.

Also: Dr. Scholl's makes cushioned mole skin. Cut a piece with a hole in the middle to fit around the blister. That way, pressure from running will be on the cushion, not the blister.
  • jpaw1002
    Options
    thanks everyone! the bf did it last night :) he has a much stronger stomach than i do lol i never saw any of it. :smile:

hopefully il be g2g by tomorrows race!

happy turkey day! :drinker: