Am I eating enough?

Options
OK, I see that this question or varies versions of it have been asked before, but I've gone through a few of them and I can't seem to just find a direct answer. I have a BodyMedia Fit so I know "exactly" how many calories I'm burning a day (which is more than MFP says I do, even on a non-workout day). My confusion comes from MFP telling me to eat the extra calories I'm burning, where as BodyMedia doesn't adjust your calorie intake if you burn more than your BMR. I'm trying to lose 2 pounds/week, so I know I need 1000 calorie deficiency. HOWEVER, I'm getting a little big more than that everyday, and a lot more on workout days. I'm only loosing about 1 pound a week. Is this because I'm not eating enough? I have about 70 pounds to lose (which will still make me 15 pound heavier than the standard charts would like me to be). Is having more than 1000 calorie deficiency a day keeping me from loosing that second pound each week?

FYI: 2220 is my predicted BMR, but according to the BodyMedia my average is closer to 2440. I'm eating 1200 calories a day except Sundays when I eat anywhere from 1400-1700 (It's averaging out to 1305/day). That's an average of 1135 calorie deficiency a day, so 7945 a week. 2 pounds lost should be happening (roughly) at 7000 deficiency.

*Hope that wasn't too repetitive or confusing.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You don't deduct 1000 from your BMR. You need to be eating at or above your BMR. You deduct from your TDEE is you want to go that route.
  • Quirkyleprechaun
    Options
    So if my TDEE is 2462 I should be eating 1462/day to loose 2 pounds a week? So have I not been loosing 2 pounds/week because my body isn't getting enough food?
  • BodyMedia
    Options
    Hi Quirkyleprech,

Yes, if you are burning around 2400 calories a day, you should be eating around 1400 calories to lose two pounds. Not eating enough can slow your weight loss so make sure your body is fueled up with healthy food, especially if you are working out regularly. Hope this helps! Best of luck!

- Laurie
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    So if my TDEE is 2462 I should be eating 1462/day to loose 2 pounds a week? So have I not been loosing 2 pounds/week because my body isn't getting enough food?

Yes.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

You are better off subtracting 500-750 as that is much better and less aggressive. The less you have to lose, the less you should aim to cut or you will increase the chances of muscle loss instead of just fat loss. Below are the general guidelines.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    You also need to increase your protein and water and track fiber.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You also need to increase your protein and water and track fiber.

Why would she have to increase her water? As long as she feels hydrated, adding more water will do absolutely nothing for weight loss. I understand it helps break down food and bring in nutrients but again if you are hydrated, it's a non issue.