How do you feel about family members joining MFP ?

Options
donyellemoniquex3
donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
My sister's (same dad, diff mom) on here and my mom's thinking about coming here too..

Do I want to help with my mom's rehabilitation from her brain injury 12 years ago ? Yes. But.... IDK. She only eats about 800 calories a day. My dad and I have to GIVE her breakfast and lunch or otherwise she won't eat until supper

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I don't have any family members or RL friends here but in case they join then good for them but to be honest I won't add them (my family) on my FL for privacy sake since they're conservative & hate it whenever I post my ab pics.

I can support then in RL though.
  • blunder_bolt
    blunder_bolt Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    hehe. My Fiance is on MFP and we've just set a date for our wedding? does that count?
  • Leo_Joy_HG
    Leo_Joy_HG Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My sister uses MFP, i don't have her as a friend.

I would, but i'm currently recovering (recovered??) from bulimia and though i am very proud to admit in online, i still do not want my family knowing about it!

The same goes with real life friends, exept one. I added someone from the same town as me and it turned out she was a friend of a friend who i'd met before! So she knows all and it's ok :)
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I'd feel fine about it. It's a great site. Doesn't mean you have to have them on your friends list...
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I do not like for my family members to be on MFP if they have friended me simply because I don't like the criticism if I do something they think is extreme or unacceptable. For example, if I have a day where I eat well below my threshhold, I don't want to hear about it at home.
  • StaycJulia
    Options
    I encourage all my family members to use MFP. Its a great tool and would love them to join me in getting to a healthier place.
  • TheirEllie82
    TheirEllie82 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I started my MFP profile first and then my mom joined, followed by my sister, and then one of my cousins joined this fall and got her mom, dad, and brother to join and I am friends with all of them on here. I think it is great to be able to support them and have them support me here
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    I have numerous RL friends and family on MFP and they are on my FL. My struggles with weight aren't a secret to them and they are as supportive of me as I try to be of them.
  • danimal5867
    Options
    I encourage everyone I know to use MFP if they have a need to lose weight. My wife has been plateaued for about three months but she still refuses to join MFP. I think some people just don't want to do the work of logging everything they eat.
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    i'm currently trying to get my mother to join. it's been so good for me, i want to share the wealth. i'd add her as a friend and try to motivate her as well. and if she eats something like a can of green beans in a day.. like she likes to do.. i can scold her like i like to do!
  • farfoorah
    Options
    OH HAAAAAAAAILLLL NAWWWWW!!
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I think it would be great if they were serious like me about it! But so far they have been only half hearted users.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    I would NEVER add a family member or someone I know in real life on here. I admit some personal things on here and would be so embarrassed if they ever saw them. :noway:
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    No effing way. I like being anonymous. Means I can be as freaky as I want.

Wait, what?
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    My son and my husband have joined MFP...and have NEVER logged a single food item. I believe they just joined as a means of seeing what I am doing on here. But it's all good. :love:

BTW...I did friend them both even though they were never supportive of my weight loss. As of now, neither one of them are active users of MFP.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings. I didn't know about mfp until this summer when a friend told me about it. I loved it and have logged on everday since. She logs in daily too. That's cool. I told my mom about it who also joined but she never logs on. My fiance joined but he hasn't logged in for over 2 months. It doesn't bother me because he only joined to be supportive but when he saw I'm getting support from my friends list he has taken to supporting me in person only. The original friend that told me about mfp has also convinced her son and a mutual friend of ours to join and neither of them log in. If friends or family logged in and used it I would love that but as it is right now I feel obligated to keep these people as "friends" but if I didn't know them in real life I would have deleted them by now. I delete people who don't log in more than any other reason. I tend to think if you are really dedicated to this process you log in. You log your food and exercise. It isn't that hard. But it isn't up to me to gauge their dedication so I'm trying to get over that.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I am fne if friends and family are on, but really wouldn't want to be friends list friends with them here. Some of the things at deal with here I want to keep anonymous.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I guess I am lucky to not have a fat family....
    It would make me a bit uncomfortable to share this part of my life with them.
    They are all rooting for me, but I would rather have that be outside MFP.
  • gawinkworth
    gawinkworth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My wife is on it. So are my Sister, my Brother, his wife, my daughter, my Mom, and two co-workers. The shared experience and ongoing commentary have benefited everyone. I can't think of a single reason NOT to invite as many friends along for the ride as possible.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Although MFP is a great place, it's my own little world away from reality, I wouldn't like it at all if they joined.