Nutrisystem-Thoughts?

Options

Replies

• Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I know that everyone is different, but my aunt did this and once she stopped it...the weight came back....I personally wouldn't do it because I wouldn;t want to waste the money........
  • TammyLynne71
    TammyLynne71 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who does it. Why I don't know cause she give me a brown bag of the foods every month that she does not care for. With how expensive they are why get them if u are not going to eat them.
    I have tried them that way. To me there is a blant taste to them. A few days ago I tried one thing that was called a chicken breast on its package. Not sure I would call it that. The sugar grams in it are not that bad for what I saw. But to do the foods every meal and snack your salt intake would be above normal.
    I give them to my hubby to take on the road. He is a truck driver and there is a microwave in the truck. Helps us save money when he is on the road.
    I would use that money to do once a day cooking and package my own meals for the week.
    Hope this helps.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    do you have one day per week that you can prepare all your meals in advance?

if you do then i suggest that you take advantage of it and get really focused on how to prepare healthful food...

i always cook a few meals in advance and store in the freezer so that even if its been a crazy day i know that i can walk in the door, pull something from the freezer, heat it up and we can eat something that ive prepared, i know what has gone in to it and its not full of salt and preservatives...

it does take some time to set yourself up, but its well worth it in the long run...plus a whole lot cheaper!

This is good advice for people on the go. Sunday is a good time to prepare a batch of food that will last for a few lunches or dinners during the week. You can also keep some individual-sized frozen meals on hand (I don't eat them every day, but I will own to eating a frozen meal about 4 times a week, usually lunch). Dinners can come together quickly with whole wheat pasta and and veggies (use frozen if you're pressed for time). It can be done!
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Been there, Done that,twice
    It works, but you can learn portion control with
    Smart ones or Lean Cuisine and have more choices
    EVERYTHING works, if you stick to the program
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    My general motto, is do not listen to any weight loss plan that is trying to sell you something. They are in it to make money, not to have your best interests at heart. While it may or may not work... your better off with out
  • LEC1978
    LEC1978 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a while but had little sucess. It is expensive, and you do have to buy and prepare different meals/salads/protein servings to add to the prepackaged stuff. So it also was not even the time saver I had hoped it would be. It was basically just like supplementing your diet with Lean Cuisines and granola bars. Except that most of the NutriSystem food is not quite as tasty as Lean Cuisines. :) Now I also try to cook meals in advance and freeze them. Generally cheaper, healthier and tastier than any prepackaged stuff you could buy.
  • TriClaudia
    TriClaudia Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I work in the same office as someone who used Nutrisystem. I thought it looked disgusting, and she hated it. At the same time I was looking for the same concept. I just wasn't successful at the whole planning, cooking, portioning. I felt like I needed help. I looked around and found a meal plan that was just that -- meals. They were frozen, delivered weekly, didn't involve program fees or talking to someone whose job was to sell me more stuff or a higher level plan. The food is delicious -- not supermarket freezer fare. It is not inexpensive. But there's also no commitment. Hopefully it's ok to say -- I used Bistro MD. I've enjoyed it and lost almost 50 lbs since February; so no outrageous claims here. I won't bore you with my whole journey. This plan met my needs. I hope you find something that works for you. Feel free to message me if you'd like to know more. Oh, the nutrition info is in the database here for a lot of their meals.
  • skinnyforhi
    Options
    I tried it for a while but had little sucess. It is expensive, and you do have to buy and prepare different meals/salads/protein servings to add to the prepackaged stuff. So it also was not even the time saver I had hoped it would be. It was basically just like supplementing your diet with Lean Cuisines and granola bars. Except that most of the NutriSystem food is not quite as tasty as Lean Cuisines. :) Now I also try to cook meals in advance and freeze them. Generally cheaper, healthier and tastier than any prepackaged stuff you could buy.

That's so true! You have to go grocery shopping anyway for accompaniments to the meal. Did you ever sit there wondering, "What goes with a Nutrisystem cheese pizza" and find yourself thinking "A Domino's cheese pizza?"
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    From experience, Nutrisystem tastes gross, nothing like home cooked meals and portions are small!! Not to mention it is more expensive than what you'd spend on yourself for groceries. In addition to that, you have to buy fresh produce. Not worth the $$$ in my opinion. You could spend less money and invest a bit more time and get much more, health & budget wise, than you could buying Nutrisystem.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    The food is so vile and disgusting on more then one occasion I think I broke down in tears. Pathetic? Perhaps, but it's REALLY REALLY bad. I got through 3 days and sent it all back. I mean really who wants to eat 'pizza' that you can keep in the cupboard! That is NOT real cheese, it's processed garbage crap and I couldn't force it down my throat.

Just my 2 copper! :bigsmile:
  • Hopelessone
    Hopelessone Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I did it and lost 20 lbs 2 years ago, really all it did was teach me that my daily portions of food were too big. Some of the food is horrible, some is really good. Key concept with it you need to be ready to eat less.

I lost 20 pounds too, it did help me realize my portion sizes were too big. I need a 'LIFESTYLE CHANGE" that I can keep for the rest of my life with NutriSystem I couldn't do that, you have to carry your food with you at all times. Whatever you decide, good luck with your journey
  • EmmalineHarris
    Options
    I work full time and am a full time student as well, so I totally understand not having time to cook. However, a lot of the food Nutrisystem provides are not meals that necessarily have to be cooked (breakfast, lunch, snacks). There are so many healthier options to choose from that don't take any (or very little prep) time: yogurt, carrot sticks, apples, pretzel crisps, bell pepper, grapes, instant oatmeal or other whole grain cereals (Full Circle makes an excellent, healthy raisin bran), air popped popcorn...some of my staples. Another thing I've found that is very helpful is to buy the ingredients for salad on the weekend, make it up in one big bowl, and then just take a portion for lunch each day...all i have to do is add some turkey and some lite dressing to said portion in the morning and I'm good to go. I realize that still leaves dinner, but even if you have to buy some pre-packaged meals like lean cuisine or progresso soup to eat for supper, having one pre-packaged meal/day is a lot better than haviing 3. It takes a little creativity and little work but it can be done.

Best of luck!
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I tried it. Lost about 30 pounds. Gained it all back and then some. It was expensive and the food was terrible. Plus, you have to buy certain food above and beyond what you purchase from them. I hate to be negative, but in this instance I would encourage you to be patient and learn to fix healthy meals and measure your portions.

This was my boss's experience as well. Eventually she gave up and she brought the "food" in for anyone at the office who needed a quick lunch. I had it several times. Tiny portions, sodium was through the roof, and most of it was gross. Also, there's something just plain WRONG about something called "chicken fettuccine alfredo" that lasts years in the box without even needing refrigeration.

You would probably be better off creating your own plan using Lean Cuisines...not that I would recommend living off those either...but that would at least be a small step up from Nutrisystem.
  • skinnyforhi
    Options
    The food is so vile and disgusting on more then one occasion I think I broke down in tears. Pathetic? Perhaps, but it's REALLY REALLY bad. I got through 3 days and sent it all back. I mean really who wants to eat 'pizza' that you can keep in the cupboard! That is NOT real cheese, it's processed garbage crap and I couldn't force it down my throat.

Yes. The cookies were so bad I couldn't eat them--how is that even possible??? Ok I'm going to stop posting in this forum but I did NOT have a good experience and it made me detest mealtime.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh lord, thats the last thing I need HAHAHA healthy eating has some side effects of its own, dont need any extra :)

Healthy eating has side effects? Do you mean negative side effects? Because since I changed my diet to healthy foods (what I consider healthy, not what others necessarily do) I have had nothing but POSITIVE side effects which include the resolution of many serious health issues.

I eat only meat, veggies, eggs, nuts, seeds and limited full fat dairy and fruit and I can prepare those foods in less time than it takes to heat up frozen processed foods or drive to a restaurant (if there were any in my town) etc. I save the time consuming recipes for the weekends, or don't use them at all if I don't feel like it. It's a choice to eat healthy food and "I don't have time" just isn't true (yes, I used that excuse myself in the past!).

I wouldn't touch Nutri-System but if you had asked me when I was in my 20s, I would have been all for it. I was an idiot back then and ruined my health because of focusing only on rapid weight loss and by believing the diet industry and government agencies and their "low fat" nonsense.
  • okstategurl
    Options
    Ohhhh lord, thats the last thing I need HAHAHA healthy eating has some side effects of its own, dont need any extra :)

Healthy eating has side effects? Do you mean negative side effects? Because since I changed my diet to healthy foods (what I consider healthy, not what others necessarily do) I have had nothing but POSITIVE side effects which include the resolution of many serious health issues.

I eat only meat, veggies, eggs, nuts, seeds and limited full fat dairy and fruit and I can prepare those foods in less time than it takes to heat up frozen processed foods or drive to a restaurant (if there were any in my town) etc. I save the time consuming recipes for the weekends, or don't use them at all if I don't feel like it. It's a choice to eat healthy food and "I don't have time" just isn't true (yes, I used that excuse myself in the past!).

I wouldn't touch Nutri-System but if you had asked me when I was in my 20s, I would have been all for it. I was an idiot back then and ruined my health because of focusing only on rapid weight loss and by believing the diet industry and government agencies and their "low fat" nonsense.

No, I didnt say negative (well I dont consider them to be negative.) They where talking about nutri giving people excessive gas. When I started eating healthier my "ahem" bathroom habits changed, etc. I think eating healthier makes a person feel healthier. def didnt mean negative. :)
  • okstategurl
    Options

Yes. The cookies were so bad I couldn't eat them--how is that even possible??? Ok I'm going to stop posting in this forum but I did NOT have a good experience and it made me detest mealtime.
    Crack me up, Thank you for the response!
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I have three close girlfriends who have done Nutisystem. All three gained back everything they lost and more.

Your life is always going to be busy. If you can find a way to incorporate healthy eating into it, you'll get and stay healthy for the long term -- you can do it!
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hello, Let me just tell you the gods honest truth.. I tried nutrisystem in the past thinking it would be my cure all.. I spent 300.00 when it first came out and I was SOOO pumped to do it!! I got it in and I almost puked the moment I tried it.. it is NASTY NASTYYYYY! it tastes like cardboard that has been sitting in trash all day * little over dramatic I know LOL*! I suggest buying your food each week and make your own meals and prepack them all.. dont waste your money!:flowerforyou:
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    taste like crap... do not eat...

seriously I had a co-worker eating that stuff... it tastes a lot like cardboard