HELP! I'm stuck at this weight!! Plateau?

Options
Hi guys! :happy:

I have run into a minor problem and need some suggestions...

Although I have a sedentary lifestyle (for the most part) I began being more active and trying to walk at least 2-3 times a week for 30 mins to make it a habit. I have also watched what I eat, avoiding fried foods, excess sugar and excess fat. Learning to eat more fruits, vegetables, lean meat such as turkey, and whole wheats. Love pasta, but I'm slowly cutting it, too.

I was doing this routine for about 3-4 months before the storm Sandy (lost about 14 pounds). Stopped for about a 1-2 weeks after the storm and now I'm back again. Although I didn't gain anything back. Now I'm stuck at 205. I'm following the same method that got me down to 205, though. BTW my overall goal is to be around 130-140. However, I want to do it consistent but slowly. I'm happy to put off even half a pound a week or so. I just want it to keep falling not stopping.

I don't know if what I'm doing is wrong or I just need to be patient. I don't want to get discouraged. However, I know that I must seek for ways to help me stay positive and move forward.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. I heard it's normal to "plateau," but I'm not sure if it's normal to plateau for weeks or I'm even more afraid that it make take me months! :cry: :sad: :noway:

Thanks so much!
Dee :flowerforyou:

Replies

• tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I've heard that weight falls off in chunks. Keep at it. If what you were doing was working before it will continue to work for you. Hope this helps.
  • reneegirl97
    reneegirl97 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the weight lost already! Change up your workouts. That's my advice. Do something different each week. Make sure you doing some cardio. And sometimes increasing your calories a couple of days and decreasing them for a couple days helps too! But overall, change is needed to your routine!
  • jdtrussell1
    Options
    Keep doing what your doing. I plateau all the time. Seems like I stay the same weight for a week or two and things start moving again. It can be frustrating but the pounds will eventually come off. I always figure it took me a long time to gain it so losing it will be a long road too.
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It is very normal to plateau for weeks; especially if life has been stressful. I would say, since you are in this for the long haul, give it as long as 6 weeks; if things aren't moving then, make some adjustments.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing Dee! I plateau for 3-5 weeks at a time normally, and then all the weight falls off after that. I have no idea why as I'm pretty consistent day to day and week to week. At first it was really frustrating, but when I averaged it out, I lose about 3.5 lbs per month which is almost exactly what I'm trying to do anyway! Keep at it. It seems like you're doing everything right. All you need is time and patience. In the meantime, that's what we're here for. :):flowerforyou:
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Most people lose weight a lot quicker in the beginning and it will start to slow as your metabolism changes with your new diet. The body is evolutionarily designed to keep fat on your body for times of famine so your metabolism changes to protect you from starvation. The good news is that your metabolism is always changing so the weight loss may come and go, but just keep it up over the long run. Also try doing more strength based exercise because the more muscle you have, the better your metabolism is, because muscle is much more active tissue (metabolically) than fat.

Hope that helps!!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    How many calories per day are you eating?
  • GrannySparkle
    GrannySparkle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    As everyone stated it is normal to plateau. Your body is used to what you are eating and the amount of exercise you are doing. Add another walk to your week. Or walk for 45 minutes instead of 30. Sometimes just a little more exercise will get the scales moving agian.
  • yennihuynh
    yennihuynh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This was my situation a few weeks ago, but I was sitting on a 2 month plateau! I tried changing everything up; eating less, eating more, moving more, eating clean, eating dirty lol...
    not much movement (downwards) on the scale, I could make it go up though :noway: *that happened when I thought maybe the scale was stuck and tried to see what happened if I say.. ate a higher daily intake, ate a particularly high sodium count for the day or whatever but what helped for me and kept my mind off that damn scale every week was to keep track of other things like strength and endurance.
    once a month or so, do an "assessment test" where you do as many pushups, sit ups, squats, jump ropes, jumping jacks etc. etc in a set amount of time... write it down and each time you do it see how much your number improves. although the scale might not be moving, your body is making huge strides towards a fitter and stronger you :heart:

ps. all of a sudden last week, out of the blue lost three lbs. :drinker:
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Also just to add to my previous statement, stress can also have effects on your metabolism and weight fluctuation, maybe stress from Sandy has screwed with your body a little bit. It seems silly, but our bodies are highly complex and even stress can effect many different systems!
  • deemvall
    deemvall Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    How many calories per day are you eating?

Right now I'm at 1500
  • mcalicci
    mcalicci Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know...sometimes it's frustrating...we watch what we are eating, exercise regularly and still no changes! Like everybody mentioned above, plateaus are expected when losing weight. Keep doing what you are doing so far and try and incorporate one more physical activity in your weekly schedule, something that will make you burn more calories, but not much to make you feel hungrier. Anything that you like, spinning, swimming, etc...we need to always put more fire in the furnace! good luck and keep up the good work!
  • deemvall
    deemvall Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much:wink:

I will read all and make adjustments (when needed) to see improvement.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!! :flowerforyou: