New mom and exercising...

Options
For the moms out there how soon after you had your baby did you start exercising and what type of exercise did you do?

Second time mom with my second natural birth (OMG active labor was only 3 hours - super intense). I've healed quite a bit faster this time and only have some residual swelling down below. I was thinking about starting C25K again maybe 2 weeks PP. I also exclusively breast feed so I'm going about everything pretty slow to not have issues with my supply.

Anything specifically you liked starting out? I'm pretty out of shape because aside from chasing around a toddler on the evening/weekends I normally work full-time at a desk/computer job and this pregnancy was pretty rough on me so there was A LOT of laying around on the couch.

(I'm going to have a discussion about exercise with my doctor tomorrow as well. I know they suggest 6 weeks of pelvic rest - I think I did about 4 last time around - but seems that exercise would be different from that.)

Replies

• mostein
    mostein Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hi :) I waited the 6 weeks with my daughter, but I had a c-section. I then started taking these stroller exercise classes, and swimming. I wasn't in very good shape but eventually progressed to working out round 5 days a wek varying walking, stroller classes and slasa babies. All were really great workouts and a great way to spend time with baby and meet other moms. The stroller classes are also great if you have a toddler that will go in a stroller because he or she can go too!
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Honestly I wouldn't start out with anything strenuous (including C25K) until after you get clearance from the Doctor around the 6-8 week mark. If you are going to EBF you don't want anything to reduce your supply and that will take time to regulate. Two weeks is just too early, not to mention you don't want to overdo anything.

I personally had DS via C/S and I was taking walks as around the 1 1/2 - 2 week mark. I tried to resume running after the 8 week clearance and OMG I thought my breasts would explode so then I waited until 4 months PP.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    My doctor had me wait 6 weeks to start any vigorous exercise. But there's nothing wrong with going for a walk with the stroller. :)
  • mnstrpc
    mnstrpc Posts: 109
    Options
    I started back at 4 weeks pp but I have been a runner off/on for over 15 years and was working out some (not running, mostly elliptical and yoga) throughout my pregnancies.

I would wait until you have clearance from your doctor at 4 or 6 week pp checkup.
  • saratf
    saratf Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I started walking pretty quickly, maybe a week or two. And then I started the 30 Day Shred at 6 weeks. I was still pretty sore though, so I didn't push myself too much.
  • tressatnt
    Options
    I started walking by 2 weeks and then at 3 weeks I had clearance from my doc to gradually get back into running. I am a runner and it was killing me not to run, especially since I had been on bed rest for 5 weeks. So the day I got that clearance, I started walk/running and then built up.