Day One To New Life

Options
Ok this is my first time here. Thought I would try this place and see if the support and logging things might help me. I am 304 pounds and a diabetic. I am still active but I have a desk job and a mother who lives with me who cooks the good old fashion way yet loves to make unhealthy food for dinner and tell me how much weight I need to lose.

So I have bought myself a recumbent bike and just did 10 minutes on it burning 51 cals, going 2.25 miles and got my heart rate up to 135. So I know that I have to go longer but at least it is a start. I have the next few days off and I plan to continue to work on buliding up to 30 minutes I hope twice a day. I am a early riser during the week at 5:30 so I am hoping that I will be able to get myself up and do a workout before going to work. Then I am hoping that after dinner I will turn around and do it again.

I am trying to watch my foods and my blood sugars. I must stay that my blood sugars are out of control. Head to the doctor on Wednesday for insulin maybe. Sucks to be in this place.

My motivation for all of this is several things. My son has already lost his father I don't want him to lose a mother too. I am recently married and getting ready to move to where my husband lives. His mother basically thinks if your fat it is because you are lazy. So having not met her yet I feel a need to get myself in better shape. In the end this is all for me as I know that i will feel better.

My biggest struggle that maybe folks might have suggestions on is what snacks I can eat. I am currently doing a little cheese, pickles, almonds, celery. Being diabetic I have to keep my carbs down to 60 a day. I feel hungry all the time and stress even makes it worse. Anyone have any ideas? Also I was told by someone that I should eliminate sugar subsitutes. I currently drink sugar free crystal light and it does help fill me up and I have a problem with drinking just water. Any other ideas?

Well back to checking this out and trying to turn the page on this new chapter. PS ok this is totally wrong that the ad next to this message is for Pillsbury sugar cookies. LOLOL

Replies

• ChristinaG100
    ChristinaG100 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi we are similar in age and this is my first time on this website too (on my 4th week) and I have found it great to work with and the people are very helpful. You can add me if you like. :smile:
  • umhakim
    umhakim Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Christina, Thank you for the reply. Glad to hear that folks are helpful here. I think that I will need a lot of help. I don't know how to add you. Completely don't understand this system yet.
  • begreenbe
    begreenbe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi feel free to add me too. I really hate the McDonald's add on here too.
  • Dabberdoll
    Options
    welcome and glad to see you are doing this for you, take it one day at a time and increase your bike slowly maybe 5 minutes more daily if you can, I was told to eat protein, body needs it and will help you in your weight lost , all the best on this journey
  • lrose50
    lrose50 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi - I just joined today too. I have about 40 pounds to lose. It all seems overwhelming the first day no matter where you start and what the weightloss goals. This website seems easy to follow. I wanted to confirm that you should definately stay away from sugar substitues. It only increases your sugar cravings because your brain thinks its getting sugar and when it doesn't it increases the cravings for more sweetness. But you have to cut down first - no cold turkey. You can just try adding lemon to your water. Lemon water will also increase bile the helps your liver filter out all the bad stuff in your body. Good luck :smile:
  • stacy_1971
    stacy_1971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi -

Welcome to MFP and to your path to finding a new, healthier you.

I am not a fan of plain water, either, and so I was using the Crystal Light packets. Then I realized that 1/2 a packet is a serving (who only uses 1/2 a packet), and that the full packet I was using was 10 calories. Doesn't sound like much til you figure in that I was drinking 8-10 glasses of water flavored with Crystal Light a day. I could have used those calories instead on an apple, some string cheese, almonds, etc.

So now I use lemon or lime wedges to flavor my water, or sometimes I just bite the bullet and drink it plain.

You said you can only have 60 carbs/day. Do you know how to adjust your food diary settings to track carbs? That is a helpful feature, although I have found out that sometimes I do not agree with their suggested daily allotment, per USDA standards. But at least you'd know how many carbs you're ingesting.

I have 60 pounds to lose and I have just joined MFP last week. I abhor exercise. So far I don't have enough stamina to get those good rush of endorphins. I am glad you plan on making incremental changes. I think you will have more success that way.

Best wishes on your journey. If you don't mind, I'd like to add you as a friend.

Take care.