Is the concept 2 machine (rowing machine) supposed to hurt y

Options
Your back?? I am wondering if I am doing it right. I was on there an hour yesterday and I am trying to do the legs, back, arm. Today I did it for 20 min and my back hurts. Am I doing something wrong? My back hurts.

Replies

• katkins
    katkins Posts: 2
    Options
    I rowed in college so am very fimilar with the erg. This machine is a great workout and uses all your muscles, but unfortunately not many know how to use it properly. It takes years to get the technique down with the assistance of a coach. It kills me when I see trainers put people on and put the resistance up to 10 and let them have at it. (The resistance is the bar on the right of the wheel that you can adjust. It should be on 3 or 4 depending on what make it is.) When the resistance is so high you probably are going to hurt your back. My advice is to go to youtube and watch a video to see what the rowing stroke is supposed to look like. Hope this helps.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Rowing machines work many muscle groups in your back. If it's muscle soreness you're feeling then it's a sign that the rowing machine worked muscles you haven't worked before, which is a good sign :)
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I use a Concept II rowing machine fairly regularly, although I'm no pro. Make sure the foot harness is properly sized and secure, and make sure you are not hunching/leaning forward during your strokes...make sure you use your legs more than your arms and try and keep it as smooth as possible so you don't wrench anything with a sudden movement. To set the resistance you can turn the blue wheel on the right hand side.

In our gym I got a pro to show me how to set it up right and what to do...when in doubt ask!

Erika
  • mcjurys
    mcjurys Posts: 19
    Options
    I have been watching videos on youtube. The resistance is between 3 and 4. Today I found that when I was doing it my right shoulder was in pain now my back hurts on the sides. I am trying to push out with my legs and then lastly bring my arms to my belly button area, but I feel like my arms are too stiff and are doing too much of the work. I am trying to relax them but....

I rowed in college so am very fimilar with the erg. This machine is a great workout and uses all your muscles, but unfortunately not many know how to use it properly. It takes years to get the technique down with the assistance of a coach. It kills me when I see trainers put people on and put the resistance up to 10 and let them have at it. (The resistance is the bar on the right of the wheel that you can adjust. It should be on 3 or 4 depending on what make it is.) When the resistance is so high you probably are going to hurt your back. My advice is to go to youtube and watch a video to see what the rowing stroke is supposed to look like. Hope this helps.
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Dunno if this will help:

http://concept2.co.uk/training/technique

Perhaps you're just doing too much too soon? I'd not really like to do more than 20 minutes at the moment. Yo do have to be careful as you do with any exercise. My toes rocked up suddenly the other day and i managed to tear a muscle in my thigh so you do have to make sure you're doing it right.

Erika
  • timwood
    timwood Posts: 1
    Options
    :happy: When you use a rowing machine you are not suppose to bend at the waist. You push with you legs, bending and straightening your knees, and you pull with you arms and shoulders. This essentially uses leg, hip, arm, shoulder, and upper back muscles. It is important that you maintain a strong 'core' central body position, so you are NOT using your stomach and lower back muscles other than to hold your sitting body straight, with a straight back. The key question is: "It my head lolling about, rocking forward and back?" If it is, then you are doing it wrong, and you will eventually hurt your spine. I suggest you go to You-Tube and find a clip on how to use a rowing machine, and watch the technique.
    An hour is a very long time. I'd suggest 'intervals' for a shorter period. So use it for 15 mins, with the following regime:
    1. Gentle warm-up, get your techique good and muscles warmed = 2 mins
    2. Speed up for 1 minute, push yourself and make sure you're sweating at the end
    3. slow down for 1 minute
    4. another fast minute ....
    and on so on until you've complete 15 mins in total. This will exercise your heart in a more controlled way, and burn more calories, without wearing out your back, and being too boring. If you want to do more, then take a break, drink some water, and then do it again. But twice is plenty for day. If you want to use your stomach and lower back musles do something like Russian twists, or 'V' sits.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump
  • katkins
    katkins Posts: 2
    Options
    You are going to be sore, but it will go away. This machine is not easy and is hated by many. But when you get the motion of it down it is very relaxing. It will take a while to get it down. This sport is compared to golf that it takes 15 minutes to learn but a lifetime to perfect the technique. And instead of hitting a little golfball you are pushing away 200 lbs of water each stroke, not so easy. Try to not get frustrated and if you see anyone that looks like they know what they are doing I am sure they would love to help. Us rowers really want to help others but don't want to seem cocky and annoying.

Think of breaking the stroke into 3 parts. First you have your arms, they go in and out. Then you have your swing of your body like a pendulum. Then you have your legs, your real power. You first push with your legs, then swing your body back, and then draw your arms in. Then you do the reverse, this is called the recovery. Let your arms out, swing your body back over, and come up the slide. On the recovery try to go slow and in control. Another really important aspect to think about to avoid putting strain on your back is to engage your abs and sit up really tall on your sit bones.