Any women who lost their weight after age 50?

Options

Replies

• MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I will be 50 in January and the weight I have taken off so far has been with-in a 1 year journey. So worth every pound lost!
  • andreajp
    andreajp Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and I have lost 39 lbs. since August 2012. I'm 5'7" and would like to lose another 35 lbs. or so. I keep slathering on Nivea firming lotion with the hopes that it will help with the sagging skin. I see a tummy tuck in my future though. I am hoping that after the initial weight loss that things will tighten up a bit.

Slow and steady is my plan.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,906 Member
    Options
    57 and this is the first time my weightloss has been truly successful because this time it is the result of a lifestyle change instead of a "quick fix." :happy: I wrote about it on my blog --

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/77tes

Don't listen to the folks WHO say you can't lose weight over the age of 50. IT JUST AIN'T SO!! :noway:

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • denisemc1407
    denisemc1407 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    That's fabulous! Good for you!!:flowerforyou:
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    In all my long-windedness above, I forgot to say...ADD ME, ADD ME, ADD ME! I can use all the 50+ lady friends I can get! :flowerforyou:
  • Pcrane007
    Options
    I have lost 13 lbs almost effortlessly at age 54 and without much exercise (been very busy). I think this is because I stopped eating grains and potatoes (corn and potato chips were my weakness). I am simply not ravenous like before. I continue to lose weight steadily and am trying more and more to "eat paleo," although I do like my wine!

For sagging skin: I have read that gelatin is supposed to help with skin tone, but I have not lost that much weight to confirm this. I still take the gelatin, in case it helps the skin and it is good for filling you up. This is the lazy way of getting the nutrients found in "bone broth." Gelatin is kind of bleh, so mix it with a flavor. I use apple cider vinegar or lemon juice.
  • intotennis
    intotennis Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm 54 years young and I've battled my weight for most of my life which leads to being hard on myself with my body image.
    I guess you could call me a yo-yo dieter; I'd try different diets, lose, gain, etc. About 22 years ago I joined a gym worked out with weights, did aerobics and got into pretty good shape. At the health club I met the man of my dreams and as the story goes I fell madly in love, had babies and got fat! I'm a tennis nut and play 3 to 4 times a week but still wasn't losing weight. In 2009 I saw a picture of myself (I'll post it) I couldn't believe how big I had gotten, I'm 5' 4" and my largest weight was over 187lbs. I found and joined WW and lost about 50 lbs and felt pretty good but still not happy with my body image.

My hubby has been tall and slender all of his life but as with age your metabolism slows and he put on a little weight so he put his game face on, got disciplined and lost it. He had told me about P90X and said he wanted to do it so he could get that "6 pack" while he was still young. I'm not sure if he asked me or I said I wanted to try it but, I am so happy I did! When I met Jeff and later got big, I used to joke that I was lucky because I met Jeff when I was in the best shape of my life but I could never get below 130 and now with P90X I'm at 127! It's funny I'm still adjusting to the body image thing but I'm very happy with my results "The program works!"

For more B&A pics go to "Success Stories" - P90X Successful at 54 yrs (women).

New Year's Eve 2010

30awh2r.jpg

Before Twist
    3bhhe.jpg

After Twist
    65bvh5.jpg
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Holy Crow, intotennis...you look amazing!!!!!!!!
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Wow, what inspiring stories and thanks to the OP for starting this thread.

I am 52, 5' 8" and have lost 14 lbs since mid September. I have a long way to go and it will probably take me two years. Slowly but surely. I changed my gym routine to use more weights and a bit less cardio. This seems to be working well as I knocked off 4 inches of my waist to date. It is a slow process and I too get a bit depressed when I see all the 20-30 year olds with relatively quick results but I am convinced it can be done.

Good luck and keep posting!
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    My Mom was 63 when she started her 4 year journey to lose 95 lbs... She has kept it off.. She then made me get with it...

WE ate clean and go out and get a walk when we can. You can totally do it at any age!
  • lgreen37
    lgreen37 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hi Fairplay*

I'm 50 and will 51 in March*

I have been on MFP for almost 100 days and thus far. And it has been great 15lbs!!! YES!!!! 33 more to go.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    when i turned 50 i knew i had 100lbs to lose..i vowed to lose 50 that year for my 50 yrs of life and i did ..then lost 30 more last year..gained the 30 back this year but im back on the wagon.. i have 50lbs to lose and im gonna be 53 in february.. my problem is i know i have to lose it for health reasons.. the old days i had no weight problem because i was so active and didnt gorge on food ..and i was always concerned about how i looked so i could attract a guy... now i dont have a problem dating and my attitude about my looks is that i really dont care if anyone likes the way i look or not --- ya get what ya get....however i do care about my health so thats why im doing this
  • Shardd
    Options
    Hi ther!congrats on the great achievement. Any tips? Did u lose it using this site?
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for sharing your stories! I'm not over 50, but I'd love to share you stories with my mom for motivation. She's 61 and keeps telling me that she can't lose the weight due to age. She was one of those lucky people that never had to worry about her weight until menopause when she developed Hashimoto's. (I also have Hashimoto's.) I keep trying to motivate her that she can do it if she just has a positive attitude and your stories will be an inspiration.
  • SherieHunt
    Options
    Wow !!! great job.. you look great.
  • carolstartingover
    carolstartingover Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I went to WW's starting in 2010 and lost 50 and got to goal about one year later. Kept it off till my hub died suddenly and Asthma kicked up bad and I took Prednisone. I gained most back but off the Pred. and lost almost 20 so far. I will post on here when the 20 is official. Here's a good tip. I thought I could eat like I did when I was 30, had a great metabolism. I was thin then too . I realized I cannot have as many calories and don't need as many now that I am over 50. I get about 1300 to 1500 depending on exercise and I am 5 ft. 8. Exercise is great, but a PT told me it's only 25%. The other is all about what you eat and calories. You can do it and it would certainly be great to prevent the diseases we get being over 50. (My arthritis is kinder to me when I am at goal), Good luck.
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I am 58 (59 in Jan) and I have lost 32 lbs. since 10/11. I am 5'6" and have weighed about 141 since last March. I lost the weight slowly, so I do not have any lose skin. I feel much younger than my actual age. Exercise is the key. I would love to lose a few more pounds, but I am pretty happy being a size 8.

Best of luck and feel free to add me as a friend if you would like support. Please add a brief note that you saw my post on this thread.
  • faireplay
    Options
    Thank you all! I apologize for not responding to everyone individually but I really didn't expect so many replies! It was great eading each person's personal story.
    I know I can do this once and for all....
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Coming late to the party here... Everybody has given great advise... the only thing I can think to add is to encourage you to drink lots of water (we often eat because we are thirsty, not hungry) and be patient; if you follow your program (eat less and exercise more) you will lose weight. At our ages it tends to come off slowly and, as I am discovering, as you get closer to your goal it will get even slower, but it does come off. And everything I've read about weight loss says slower is better.

Best wishes,
  • tigs728
    tigs728 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!